Chinese-Forums

Ocean University of China, Qingdao

Saxondale

Laoshan campus is 30-40 minutes bei bus from the city center. But the campus is way better than Fushan Campus. Plus Rock City serves like a second city center and is very close to Laoshan. Knowing the current situation in Fushan, moving to Laoshan is definetly an improvement. (I lived on both campuses)

You are both right. Jabri you definetly need to be at the language center in Fushan in two weeks, however you may have to go to Laoshan campus fpr some additional registration cuz that's where Jimmy (the guy in charge of you) has his office

You're most welcome, Jabri! Sorry if I confused you there. I know nothing about the registration dates on Aug. 25-27th that you mentioned. I was a non-scholarship student so I don't know what these other dates are. But of course, you should follow the info that was given to you. And maybe ask when you get to OUC whether you still need to register in Sept. 

Wasn't there contact info for the CGS students that was sent to you so you can ask questions?

Best of luck and hope you enjoy your time in China! 

Also, I heard from the Chinese teachers that additional dorms are being built for international students in the Laoshan campus right now and that's why students will be going there not this term, but the next one. 

I haven't lived in Laoshan before but from what I hear from students and staying in a dorm there for one night, it doesn't seem as convenient as living in Fushan. It is closer to the Qingdao airport but there's hardly anything in Laoshan besides some restaurants and malls (like Rock City). And you are closer to the Laoshan mountains (a Qingdao attraction site). But if you want more of a night life (although it is lacking in Qingdao in general) and more convenient access to things, I think Fushan is better. 

One good thing about living in Laoshan is that you have more chances to interact with Chinese students to help improve your Mandarin. Whereas Fushan is full of international students. 

You can take the school bus on weekdays and non-holidays from Fushan, Laoshan, and Yushan (another OUC campus), which will be much faster than taking the normal city bus. From Fushan to Laoshan only takes 20 minutes. See attached for the school bus schedule in English.  

IMG_3312.JPG

Yes Laoshan is a bit off. But the accommodation is better. The rooms at Fushan No. 4 Dorm are shitty. In Laoshan MA and PhD scholarship recipients were entitled to a room in a shared apartment that included a bathroom and kitchen. Initially I also didn't want to move there, but all my friends were there. I enjoyed doing sports there and shopping was much easier. As for nightlife, yes it's further than from Fushan. But Bus 125 stops right at the popular bars and goes all the way to Laoshan, plus there was always somebody to share a cab with. Knowing the state of Fushan campus and the streets around it, moving to Laoshan is the better option.

• 5 weeks later...

Update on Sept 2017: I heard from a friend who lives in the Laoshan campus that all international students studying in Fushan and Laoshan live in Laoshan now. The non-scholarship students live in building 17 (with a shared bathroom and 3 separate rooms to a unit). The scholarship students live in building 12 (which is new). But it's better to check directly with the school about this as I'm not in China anymore.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@edelweis Hi. Sorry it's been 2 months since I last opened the website. I live at the international students dormitory in Fushan. I think in Fushan campus, they purposely gave the scholarship students not a complete room. Mine has no toilet, and no a.c. I tried to ask the girl at the receptionist to change room but they said for scholarship students, I have to stay in Laoshan. Thank God winter is coming soon so it's getting colder and colder now and I hope the heater in my room will work just fine.

For classes and textbook, I really enjoy the content. I go to the 'C ban' class although I can't write 'hanzi' at all since for the past 1 year and 2 months I only focused on listening, speaking and reading. It's been quite a challenge for me in the 'C ban'. So I have to spend at least 3 to 4 hours preparing before coming to class. Everyday, I think I'm bombarded with at least 40-60+ vocabulary. So, for the past 3 months in OUC , I really didn't learn any hanzi at all however I enjoy the content in the 'C ban' which is the main reason why I choose 'C ban' instead of going to the lower ban. Besides, being in the 'C ban', I think will give me a jump in my overall Chinese ability in the long run. But my biggest concern right now as a scholarship students is do I have to sit for the test/exam ? Is there any consequences if I fail the exam or didn't attend the exam at all? I really can't write any hanzi at all. So, I plan to stay in the 'C ban' for the next semester to learn the characters while making sure the new vocabulary sticks in my head. 

• Thanks 1

@Jabri thank you for the information, it's quite informative.

Scholarship students may hesitate to choose this university if they get stuck in subpar dorms. I hope the heating does work in your room, otherwise you will get really cold :shock:

You're taking an unusual path with this C ban and delaying writing, I hope it works out well for you.

I thought scholarship students have to attend class, but I don't know what happens if you fail an exam. Maybe ask your teacher?

Maybe someone here will have some answer for you, else you can also try to create a new thread in the scholarship section...

• Thanks 1

@edelweis Yeah, but don't worry. Starting from early next year(January), all the language students scholarship or non-scholarship will be relocated to Laoshan campus. I've been to my friends room in Laoshan and the room is much better than the room in Fushan. The building is new and is like an apartment. There are 4 rooms in it, a living room, a kitchen and a toilet. Pretty good for me. 

I'm thinking of the long run so if I can continue learning Chinese at the same 'C ban' class, I think there will be an improvement in my overall Chinese abilities.

I personally wouldn't go to C ban if I can't write Chinese at all. You'll find it very challenging and may just give up. I'd rather go to B or B+ class to establish a better foundation first. C ban was overwhelming for me even though Cantonese is my mother tongue and I started from A ban at OUC, as there are many vocabulary tests and the content is dense.

As for freezing during the winter time if you don't have heat, I'd go and buy an electric blanket. Maybe at Carrefour or online on Taboo (which is probably cheaper). I know that Yu Shifu (the maintenance person in the Fushan dorm) may also sell second hand ones if you're interested.

Also, being a scholarship student, I'm quite sure it's mandatory that you take the mid-term and final exams. I have had many scholarship friends who, if they wanted to continue studying another term at OUC, had to write the exams.

• Helpful 1

Thanks @ling_ling24 for the information. Sitting the exam is okay for me but I'm concerned with passing the exams. As I remember, in our agreement in the scholarship, there is no mention about passing the exams. So, I thought I can just study freely according to my pace, ability, and interest as long as I didn't cause any trouble in China and attend the classes. I think I'm going to see Miss Song tomorrow in Laoshan campus, she's the PIC of our scholarship.

I definitely needed to buy few blankets , otherwise it gonna keep me up on early morning as it started to get very cold. 

• 4 months later...
  • New Members

Hi all! Is there anybody who took one month language course in summer in this university? I can't take more than one month vacation because of work, but I really need to improve my grammar and pronunciation. So I'm worried about two things: quality of teaching and dorms. 

Those who took this one month course, could you tell me what you think about it? 

And about dorms, is there always available single rooms with private bathroom in summer in Fushan district or you should arrive one(or two) week before lessons start? Because if you arrive a little bit later there will be no rooms? 

Is it possible to book single room by e-mail? Or you have to arrive and pay cash? 

Is there many students taking this summer course? Are dorms overcrowded or may be it's less students in summer than in autumn? 

• Like 2

Hello Anastasiya,

Unfortunately, I won't be able to address your question about the one month long summer program nor the class size during the summer, as I was never in a summer program at OUC. My feeling is that there may not be as many students during the summer compared to the fall term. But don't bet my word on it.

As for whether there are single rooms in the Fushan campus during the summer term, there most definitely will be. Also, most of the single rooms in the dorm have a private bathroom. It's the single ones next to the elevator on each floor that don't. I would definitely recommend getting a single room as opposed to a double room with a dorm mate. Single rooms are 60 yuan per day on the NORTH side AKA sunnier side/facing the mountain with a better view and 55 yuan per day on the SOUTH side AKA dimmer side with a view of an old building. There have been instances where one of my friends paid for a double (shared) room, but because the other person didn't show up, they got the whole room to themselves for the whole or part of the school term for a cheaper price than a single room. But this kind of situation is not guaranteed. 

There is no email at the Fushan campus (or not that I know of during my 2.5 years living in the dorm). The Fushan campus is very old school and if you wanna secure a room, it'd be best to arrive at the dorm at least 2 weeks early. 2 weeks will also give you more time to settle in and take in your new environment and buy things you need before the term starts. You'll need to pay the dorm fee + damage deposit of 550 yuan (or is it 1000 yuan now?) IN CASH, so have that ready when you check in. You can also go to the Bank of China ATM just outside the dorm to withdraw cash. Make sure your room is clean, has a private bathroom, has furniture like a decent table and chair (mine also had a bookshelf attached to the table, but not all rooms do), flooring is decent, has a mosquito net on the window, a closet that isn't broken, and air conditioner. Not all rooms are the same--some have more furnishing and are newer.

Hope this helps!

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Hello Tres,

If Fushan campus still exists for international students and visiting teachers (as I head that Fushan is going to move to the Lasohan campus), then the room for visiting teachers is on the second floor (I stayed on the second floor in the Fushan main dorm). The room is much bigger and nicer than the student dorms and it’s right across the laundry room, which is convenient. You are right in that it also has a kitchen (and a living room with TV, if I remember correctly). The reason I know about this is ‘cause every summer, a group of Texas A&M students would study Mandarin at OUC and live in the main Fushan dorm for one or two terms. I got to see the visiting teacher’s room ‘cause I was friends with some of the Texas A&M students who introduced me to their teacher. 

Unfortunately, I don’t have any photos to show of the room as I didn’t take any but it’s quite a comfortable room to live in. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • New Members
On 3/8/2018 at 4:59 PM, Anastasiya said:

Hi all! Is there anybody who took one month language course in summer in this university? I can't take more than one month vacation because of work, but I really need to improve my grammar and pronunciation. So I'm worried about two things: quality of teaching and dorms. 

Those who took this one month course, could you tell me what you think about it? 

And about dorms, is there always available single rooms with private bathroom in summer in Fushan district or you should arrive one(or two) week before lessons start? Because if you arrive a little bit later there will be no rooms? 

Is it possible to book single room by e-mail? Or you have to arrive and pay cash? 

Is there many students taking this summer course? Are dorms overcrowded or may be it's less students in summer than in autumn? 

Hi!
I'm in the same situation as Anastasiya but for 2019. I'm planning to take an (intensive) Chinese course in Qingdao and found Ocean University can be an option. I can spend one month (4 weeks) there the maximum and I'm (yet) a beginner taking Chinese classes in my hometown for the very first year. Would you recommend me the OU? Where can I apply for information and registration? (couldn't find any info in the web) Does it make any sense to live somewhere else but at the campus?

On the other hand I could give back teaching some English and Spanish. I'm an architect but also a teacher back home. ANY tips are more than welcome.

TY!