Chinese-Forums

Ocean University of China, Qingdao

Saxondale

• 1 month later...
  • New Members

Hi Thrice12. I'm Albert. I am planning to study Master of International Businees (english medium) at OUC (fushan) in Sep 2012.

Would you kindly tell me the environment, ur experience and ur suggestion if I study there? How about ur positive and negative comment about OUC. Do you recommend me to studying there if u as an independent person? Do you have any friend who have major Ms. Int Buss in OUC? Thank you.

• 3 months later...
  • New Members

Hi everyone,

I am going to apply for OUC to study 1 year term Chinese language. I would be thankful if someone can tell me their experience about the following:

- Do you have to take a test before you start classes to see the level of your mandarin? If so, what does the test covers?

- How much is the average monthly budget for meals, accommodation and entertainment?

- Would it be useful to have a car in Qingdao? Or is the public transport good enough to move from one place to other?

Xiexie,

Jose

• 5 months later...

Hi people,

generally I'd like to know the answers to the above questions by aries2012 as well, but also:

- how is the general studying atmosphere during classes? Is it fast-paced? Demanding? Is it relaxed enough to freely ask questions without being pointed out by people, who'd like to go without stops?

Sorry, don't know how i missed these posts.

- Do you have to take a test before you start classes to see the level of your mandarin? If so, what does the test covers?

Nope. You choose the class you think might be right for you (A-E) and are given the first week to go into any level you want. If you let me know your level, i can probably tell which class would be suitable for you.

- How much is the average monthly budget for meals, accommodation and entertainment?

This all depends on you. Meals? The campus and student dorms are near very very cheap restaurants, which will keep you satisfied for at least 1 term before you get sick of the restaurants. If i eat by myself, i normally spend around 10 on a meal, but i've been here for 4 terms, so i rarely eat there anymore and spend a lot more on my meals. The dorms are 1050 for a double room and around 1500 for a single room. Internet is 50 or 100 for the month. i don't know your habits, so i can't really say how much entertainment costs, but qingdao has all the standard things (clubs, ktv, cinemas etc) you'd expect.

- Would it be useful to have a car in Qingdao? Or is the public transport good enough to move from one place to other?

It's good. The subway system is currently being built but the buses are definitely sufficient and taxis are very easy to get.

- how is the general studying atmosphere during classes? Is it fast-paced? Demanding? Is it relaxed enough to freely ask questions without being pointed out by people, who'd like to go without stops?

It's very relaxed, you can interrupt at any point. I've been here for 4 semesters and have felt every level is slightly adjusted to the overall level of the class, not the level of the book, so it doesn't get too demanding. They're not strict at all, which can be a good and bad thing. They encourage class discussions and can often digress a bit, which is definitely needed, since these books can be the dullest thing ever written, but don't expect much of this in the lower levels.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

v as you wish, roddy :) actually, this info is still not very precise...

I was looking for some detailed university calendar for the year 2013/2014; unfortunately there is only the version from 2011 (here)... After my inquiry about exact dates of exam session, I got only the most basic info, which could be found on the website, so I can only assume that winter exam session will last circa ten days after the end of the term (3.01.2014), based on the calendar from 2011. This is only my guess, but I wonder if anybody has got the exact info...?

@xh207hi

the exam dates are pretty much the same every semester, but you won't be able to find out the exact dates till the welcome day. exam days can still change, which quite a few did last semester, but they're always around the same dates.

• Like 1

Hi!!! I'm very happy about finding this forum! yesterday i received my admission package for the autumn-winter term at OUC's Chinese Programm!!

Thanks for all the information you've been sharing here!! Still i do have a few doubts!

About accommodation, in the information papers they send there seems to be a few options to choose from in Fushan Campus. There seems to be two different buildings: "International Studemts Building on Fushsn Campus", and "Fushan Campus International Dormitory (building no.4)". And there ares also different prices. In my case i'd prefer a single bedroom, but don't really know what's the difference between those building and the different prices. They also differentiate between southing and northing rooms!

You said that you didn't choose your room? and that you pay 60RMB/day?

So is it possible or not to choose for yourself? Or even if they choose for you, is it possible to change?

I would also like to know a bit more about the different levels (A-E). In my case this is my third year studying chinese, but i still feel as if i didn't have a clue! ;D The hardest for me is writing and pronunciation! Last month i did HSK3 and i think i'll pass it.

I've read that you've already been there for two years!!! Is your chinese level highly improved?

I'm also curious about life in Qingdao, i mean, is it easy to move around? what about renting a bike? is it a warm city? what about the citizens? Is it easy to get on with the chibese people? Is it hard to understand their accent? someone told me it's quite curious!

Thanks again for this forum! it's great getting to know other people's experiences!!

Cheers!!

@ahiris

so building no.4 is quite new, it tends to be a mixture of chinese and western people, it's also where most of the scholarship students have to live. All the showers and toilets are public and from what i've heard, the walls are paper thin. oh you also get a nice flat screen hisense tv in building no.4!

I don't have much experience of building no.4, since i've always lived in the original dormitory. you can read my experience of it a few posts back. I think single rooms in my dorm are around 50rmb a night and even though you can't really handpick your room, you can definitely change if you feel it's not right for you (some are newer than others). Also, the main dorm and building no.4 are very very close to each other and both are walking distance from the school, shops, restaurants and bus stops.

If you're around the HSK 4 level, go for D class, but as i've mentioned before, you have the first week to decide if the class is right for you or not, so maybe hold off buying all the books for a certain class. I was in D class last semester and i felt like they didn't focus on pronunciation at all, so also consider C class if you're worried about pronunciation. I'll be entering into E class this semester.

I'm going to keep my answers short for this, since i'm sure i've answered a few somewhere on this forum. Transport in Qingdao is relatively good and cheap. Buses are 1rmb or 2rmb for the aircon ones. Taxis start at 9rmb or 12rmb. They're currently building a metro system, so if you're there for a year or so, you should be able to use it.

Renting a bike? No idea. Most people i know just buy one.

Warm? It'll stay quite warm end of October and then gets pretty cold around January/February, but nothing extreme, so don't worry about bringing Arctic clothing...

The accent is very easy to understand, except for the older taxi drivers.

Banks? I've never opened a bank in China but you can normally do it within minutes. I'm sure this forum is full of information about all the banks in China. I just continue to use my UK debit card : /

• Like 4

Thak you so much!! in a while i'll be there sorting out all these things!! Woow! level E, so you definitely improved a lot this past 2 years!! great!

I only plan staying for 1 semester but i hope i can improve in that little time!

Thanks again!! Cheers!

You might think E class is a huge achievement but it's not. Although my reading, writing and listening is quite good, my speaking is still a big problem. E class definitely encourages more open speaking, so i hope that'll help me a lot.

Let me know if you have any other questions that i have yet to address in this thread.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@thrice12

Thanks for this very informative topic :). I just have a few question about the CSC Scholarship. Did you get it granted for the second year? And for someone very interested in studying there do you think applying directly to this university will increase my chances of being accepted? It seems the most attractive I've seen so far!

Also, is there many opportunities to teach English part time?

Again thankyou very much. Hope your HSK is coming along nicely!

@roddy I'm only trying to find out as much information as I can. You can probably tell i'm pretty new to this. If i'd posted that question on the CSC topic I doubt thrice12 would have seen it. Besides, this is "the most comfortable forum i have ever run into".

@Sam

i never got the CSC scholarship. I did apply for it before coming to China, but i didn't get it and haven't tried to apply for it again. I think if i was to apply for it again, i would go through the university. Coming from England, we don't exactly have a simple process applying straight to the CSC, so i probably wouldn't go down that route again.

You can find a teaching job within minutes of landing into China. Remember, you'll be on a student visa, not a working one.

• Like 1

@thrice12

I'm from England too which is why the scholarship seems to be a more complicated matter then I would hope!

I'm glad the teaching opportunities are vast. I'l be finishing my degree this year and hope to attend a Chinese university, in particular Ocean University, from September 2014. As you can imagine, funds are limited, but I'm willing to spend what savings I have on my Chinese proficiency.

When you were rejected from the CSC, did Ocean University give you enough time to apply to pay tuition? I.e. Do you know when they stop accepting applications? I couldn't find it on the website.

Thanks again.

@sam

Hi Sam! Here you can check the information about application, deadlines, fees, etc.

http://iec.ouc.edu.cn/yingwenban/Article/ShowArticle.asp?ArticleID=26

I applied for OUC’S Autumn semester’s chinese language program (2013). It took me about a month to apply. It takes time because of all the different documents they ask you for, and because of the time difference. On the website it says that Autumn semester’s deadline is before August. But it’s much better if you start application at least two months before.

After they accept your application you still have to apply for VISA and, at least in Spain, that takes another week. Then you should also consider the trip dates. Usually the registration days are a few days before the course starts, and you should be there on time.

I also applied for the CSC scholarship but i didn’t get it. But i started my application at OUC even before knowing the results for the scholarship so that i would make it on time!

Cheers!

• Like 1

@thrice12

I already asked OUC about fees payment and they didn’t make it very clear. They kind of made me understand that i should pay on registration days. But on their website and the admission package, besides cash payment on registration days, they also give you the option of transfering it into their bank account. Could you please tell me about your real experience with payments of tuition and accommodation?

Thanks a million! Cheers!