Chinese-Forums

Ocean University of China, Qingdao

Saxondale

@Zhuli  Scholarship winners are exempt from registration fees, tuition, fees for basic learning materials, accommodation fees on campus, and are provided with a one-off resettlement subsidy, monthly living allowance, outpatient medical service and comprehensive insurance for foreign students studying in China. Monthly living allowances are provided at the following rates (CNY Yuan per month):

a. CNY 1,400 for One-Academic-Year Students and One-Semester Students.

b. CNY 1,700 for Master’s Degree Students.

The one-off resettlement subsidy is CNY 1,500 for students who will study in China for one academic year or more; CNY 1,000 will be provided for all students who studies in China for one semester; the one-off resettlement subsidy will not be provided for those who have studied in China for more than half a year before being enrolled.

More info on Confucius Institute Scholarship” program :

http://cis.chinese.cn/article/2011-09/26/content_342234.htm

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know if there is a private chat feature on here? I'd like to find a buddy on here who has studied Chinese at Ocean University and can offer me some tips on preparing for, settling in, and their experience studying and living in Qingdao. I'm not sure whether I want to live on campus or rent an apartment... I'll be flying from Vancouver, BC (in Canada) to Qingdao this coming February and feel nervous about my trip.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Is anyone going to be at OUC during the 2015-2016 academic year? I am supposed to be getting my packet this month but, I wanted to get an idea of when I should arrive and the schedule of registration times.

Hey @Holly93! I'm studying at Ocean University of China for the long term and have taken 1 term of Mandarin Chinese here already (March to July 2015). I took A3 level which is the elementary level. I'm guessing you are coming for the fall term (so September 2014 to January 2015).

I've made good use of this forum when getting ready for my studies here, so it's time to give back and help future students out! :) I plan to post updated info about the dorm, school, and Qingdao life when I return home this late July. So stay tuned! 

I'll be returning to OUC in late August if you have any questions prior to or when you arrive.

To answer your questions:

1) Are you applying for the X1 visa (long-term studies)? If so, I'd suggest you arrive a week or so before the school year starts. The reason being is that if you're applying for the X1 visa, it may take up to 3-4 weeks before you can apply for it and you’re only given 30 days to apply for your X1 visa (it will say on your passport when you initially apply for it in your home country). You have to do a physical exam in Qingdao before you do the visa application (unless you plan to do the health exam in your home country, which may be costly) and it may take time to get your results back.

When you get to Qingdao, you’ll need to register at OUC for your classes, buy books, apply for your Visa, buy health insurance, etc. The time period to do that is August 31 – September 2 (3 days). You can register after Sept. 2 but I heard from a friend that it may require more trips to the school.

This year, classes start on Sept 8th and the orientation is on Sept 7th (there's no classes that day, just a ~1-hour orientation to go to at 8 am). During orientation, you'll hear an introduction of and welcome from the school, find out your class division, and get the course schedule. I'm arriving in Qingdao on August 31st. 

*Correction: there is no orientation this term. So classes started on Sept. 7th.

2) That's right, you don't have to take the mid-term or final exams. I was bewildered myself too when I found this out from a friend. If you're not on an exchange program or a program that requires you to submit your course mark, there’s no school rule stating you need to take the exams. I’m here for self studies so I technically don’t have to write the exams but I did so ‘cause I wanted to challenge myself and see where I was at. You can register in whichever classes you want to without taking the exams. There's no "pass" or "fail". At the end of the term, you can sign up to obtain a course certificate, which states which level you've completed along with your course mark, but that's optional. The school doesn’t check your marks record. Also, most teachers don’t care whether you show up to class or not, as previous people on this forum have said.

• Like 3

ling_ling, did you choose to have the health exam in Qingdao? Would you recommend having the health in exam in Qingdao or in my home country? Also, would you recommend arriving around August 31 for me as well or should I arrive earlier? I really appreciate your assistance. I am trying to get everything sorted before August but, I won't have my JW202 until August. I was very lucky the OUC accepted me this late. I have been trying to study abroad for my entire uni career but, something always happened about a month before departure, don't worry I won't go into details here. I thought my chances of going to China to study Mandarin had passed me last April when I found out I did not receive a scholarship from my home country because I was approaching my final year. A friend of mine at uni is a local from Qingdao and she told me to apply because, even though it was July, there was a chance they would still accept my application. All of that said, I am joining the game kind of late and would very much appreciate any advice and helpful tips you can offer. Thank you very much!!!! :)

Holly93

If you're staying for both semesters, you'll need to do a health check in Qingdao to get your residence permit.  If you've already done one back home, they might ask you to get it stamped at the health checkup place, then you can use it to apply for your residence permit, but this doesn't always happen! i was told to do a new one, despite spending £300 on one in the UK.

I suggest arriving at least a week before registration, so you can get familiar with the area and meet all the new students.  Don't worry about registering late though, many people do it.  They just want your money, hence the overcrowded classes.  

Exams are completely up to you. If the majority of the class don't want an exam (in the higher levels), they scrap the exams and give you a mark based on your in class performance.  

I noticed on the website

http://iec.ouc.edu.cn/yingwenban/Article/ShowArticle.asp?ArticleID=26

it says, "Join anytime duration the semester"

I don't think I can make it until November, so does that mean I only pay for the two months of the semester that I will be studying for and able to join right in the middle? Does anyone know if this flexible policy is pretty universal or something special for Ocean university?

Also, how big are the class sizes and how many international students are studying at the chinese language center?

Thanks in advance.