Chinese-Forums

Ocean University of China, Qingdao

Saxondale

Hi all, thanks for all your help, but I found a job in Qingdao so I won't be taking classes in Ocean University, unfortunately. I'll take part time classes instead, due to my schedule. Would still love to meet anyone from Qingdao so please send me your WeChat or something through PM. Thanks again ^^ 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thank you very much Ling, all the information you have posted are priceless !
I'm planning to study Mandarin in Ocean University starting this september, I hope you'll still be there so I could invite you for coffee to thank you for all what you are doing to this thread ^^

Edit : Do you guys really recommend using Cucas ? I know, it's not the main subject in here, but I read so different opinions on it.

@Rayne: I'm so sorry that I didn't reply until now. I skimmed over your message back when you sent it in January, but I was on travels until end of February and totally forgot about checking back. If you're still interested in meeting up, we could definitely still do that. I'll PM you my WeChat. Sorry again for my super delayed reply.

@Mr. Wat: My pleasure! :) I'm happy to hear that the info I shared was invaluable. Of course, not everything I share is fact. Much of the info comes from my own personal experience and even the factual info I shared about the school and dorm may change, but it should give people a general overview of studying and living in Qingdao!

I would personally recommend using Cucas. The Cucas' staff may not be the most organized and their English is somewhat lacking, but I think it's better than trying to navigate China's administration system yourself--it's gonna be a stressful and time-consuming process for sure! Not that everything was smooth sailing with Cucas, but at least they took some burden off of my shoulders.

I can PM you my WeChat (if you have that). I'll probably still be in Qingdao this September so we could definitely meet up then. :)

• 1 month later...

I sent my application for the CHinese Language Program to Ocean last week, I recieved a reply the next day, they said that they will send me the visa domcuents in June. So I only have the visa step and I can say at for 100% I'll be in Qingdao in a few months ! 

I wanted to do so, but the embassy here in Algeria didn't have no idea about how this could be done, the answer to every single of my questions was : go see the official website, they didn't even know the deadline ! An algerian guy who work there said to me to drop it because it will bring me more headache then anything else, two months after he were right... so even if I will be on a tight budget, but I'm pretty sure  that I will be there so I'm happy =) 

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know when the Chinese Program for the Spring semester ends approximately? I am going there in September and wanted to buy a round ticket, because otherwise is too expensive. But the problem is I don't have an idea when I could fly back.

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone, I've been accepted for a 1 year Chinese language programme with Chinese government scholarship. From my admission letter, I should come to register at OUC between 25-27th August. Since I'll arrived in Qingdao on 24th afternoon, can I directly go to the International office for registration ? Do they have any problems with this ? Thanks !

Regards,
Jabri

Hi,

I'm not at OUC for over a year now, so things may have changed, but:

Registration at Fushan Campus was done as a whole on these days, not before. I went directly to my dorms front desk and they had my name in a list. Then on 24th to the registration.

Hope this helps and hope you have a good time!

P.S.: Get wechat and get into the group for CGS Students. Info and help will be there and the people there were the ones who helped organize everything, not OUC.

Hey, you have to be there on the 25th for registration. But you could go to the international office to get your accomodation settled. The registration process takes about an hour, there will be different stations you have to run through. Make sure you have enough cash on you to pay the deposit for the room (you have to pay this even if you are on scholarship) you may also use the time to open a bank account so the scholarship money can be tzransferred

@Jessiwey Thanks for the information. Do you know how can I get into the Wechat CGS group ? Or do I have to wait until I arrived there ?

@Zhuli How much do I need exactly for the accomodation ? I thought the university is gonna give us a card for the scholarship. And which bank account should I choose ?
Sorry for asking a lot questions, if you don't mind, how much money should I bring there, at least so that I could survive while waiting for my scholarships money to go into my account ? 

Regards,
Jabri

• Like 1

No, you have to open the account on your own. Simply go to Bank of China (not any other Bank) walk Xianggang Lu towards downtown, after 10 minutes of walking you should find a big Bank of China. You need to fill a form there, bring your passport and your other papers for this purpose. The process is simple and doesnt take a lot of time, so don't worry. I would bring at least 3000RMB to cover initial cost, like cell-phone, room deposit, keys and other things. The money will come in two weeks after signing up. Fushan campus is now a food desert so prepare to walk to find food. I survived on 20RMB a day, but I mostly ate streetfood. Restaurants are obviously more expensive. Check out the Qingdao Daxue campus for inexpensive food.

• Like 2

I was only there for a stay abroad from my German university for seven months in 2016-2017.

About the wechat group I am not sure as I don't follow it anymore. But if Jimmi is still working with the international students, he should now about it. He used to write there as well.

@Jabri: I have been studying Chinese at OUC Fushan campus for 2.5 years now and my last term ended just this July. So I have some more up to date info for ya. 

I think you need to be added to the WeChat group to the CGS group in OUC when you get to Qingdao. But I have asked around about the WeChat group ID for you. If I hear anything back, I will let you know. I have many of the OUC international school's staff contacts.

As for registration, all registration for international students starting in Fall 2017 will be done in the international students' office in the Laoshan campus, not the Fushan campus. Maybe this change is to centralize the administration of Int'l students. 

Also, to get to Bank of China on Maidao Road (the branch closest to the Fushan campus), it would be good to know the address instead of a vague idea of it. But if you need help with directions on the road, just show this to people (I am not sure about your Mandarin level so here's the characters to ask just in case): "请问你知道买岛路的中国银行在哪里吗?" Most people will be able to direct you. 

Here's the address of Bank of China on Maidao road: 麦岛路7-2.

See attached for photos of the outside entrance of the bank. 

You can also try asking a student in the Fushan dorm to bring you there. That may be easier and less stressful. Basically, you walk along Maidao Lu heading in the Downtown direction. When you see Maidao Lu (it will be written in Chinese characters) if there's a sign there, turn left. Stay on the right side of the road. Then keep walking for about 1.5 blocks and the bank is on your right.   

IMG_5439.PNG

• Like 2

Also, although there have been rumours for some years about the Chinese language students and all other international students studying in the Fushan campus moving to Laoshan campus, it has been confirmed this past term that the campus will indeed be moved to Laoshan in the spring term (January 2018). 

But students will still be studying at Fushan campus this upcoming term. 

• Like 2

I just got more info about the registration dates and place via my Chinese teacher. Basically, registration is on Sept. 6-8 at the Laoshan campus. Please see attached for more info. 

The phone number is at the very bottom of the second photo. Ignore the address in the second photo. I believe the address of the registration place is correct in the first photo. 

IMG_5441.JPG

IMG_5442.JPG

• Like 2