Chinese-Forums

Ocean University of China, Qingdao

Saxondale

Hello Yi Bo,

I forgot to mention to Anastasiya (it may be too late now) that I'm not sure if learning one month of Chinese is worth one's time. You might not see a lot of improvement. I'd say studying for a term (4 months during the school year) is the bare minimum to see more noticeable results. Studying a language takes time and especially if you're in the early stages, it will be challenging to learn a whole lot within just one month. Although if you continue to study in your hometown or elsewhere afterward, it could work.

As for the teaching quality, I haven't taken any summer Chinese courses, so I don't know about the teachers' teaching. I'd say it would vary but in general, from my experience, many of the teachers do care about you and your learning. In the beginning levels, like levels A and B, there will be more emphasis on speaking and interactive activities, which is great. The higher levels are more about reading and writing. I know some American students from Texas A&M and Florida who come yearly to OUC every summer to study for a short term (1 month or 2 months), although they go back to a Chinese language program in Texas afterward.

As for registering for the course, you're right in that there doesn't seem to be a registration page for it on the OUC website. Many Chinese school websites are dated, vague, and lack sophistication.

I, along with others I know, registered via Cucas. Here's the link to OUC Fushan: https://school.cucas.edu.cn/Ocean-University-of-China-33/. It's a more streamlined and convenient way of applying to Chinese schools for international students. And I don't think there was an administration fee involved. I could be wrong. Once you apply on the website, you'll receive an email and Cucas staff (from China) will be able to correspond with you in English (with various levels of English fluency) and answer any questions you have.

Hope this helps! And good luck! Let me know if you have any more questions.

• Like 2

Also, I would recommend staying on campus in the dorm, especially if you are just staying for one month. You will have an easier transition experience. And you will be with other students as well, which will make you feel less alone. The dorm on Qing Da Yi Lu (where most of the non-scholarship international Chinese language students stay in is not the best, but it's liveable. You can go back to the earlier pages in this forum for a link to the photos of what the dorm building and rooms looking like. 

Hello Frank,

Sorry for the late reply. I'm still not sure what is going on with the dorm and school situation in the Fushan campus. Let me ask someone and get back to you.

As for whether it is easy to get in touch with Chinese students at the Fushan campus, there are no Chinese students there, unless you go to the medical lab nearby. The Chinese students are all in the farther and more remote Laoshan campus (a 45 minute bus ride away). There is a neighbouring university called Qingdao University where there are many Chinese students there. But it may be hard to connect with them unless you know friends who study there and/or join their Chinese Corner (to practice speaking Mandarin). The Fushan campus also has  a Chinese Corner. There, Chinese students from the Chinese Language Masters' program in the Laoshan campus come over to practice speaking Mandarin with international students. It can be quite fun depending who joins.

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

I know I wrote in the last two posts about the Fushan campus. I am going to delete them as the Fushan campus no longer exists and has moved to the Laoshan campus. I don’t want to confuse anyone with old info. 

I talked with a friend who is a student at the Laoshan campus. They said that as of March 2019, the dorm and building for the Chinese language program for international students have moved from Fushan to Laoshan campus. Don’t know why that hasn’t been updated on the school's website. 

The dorms for scholarship students and regular Chinese language students are separated. The scholarship students live in building no. 20 whereas regular students live in building no. 21. These dorms are much nicer and newer than the Fushan dorms. The drawback is that it’s kind of remote and far from downtown, compared to the Fushan campus. It will be a 40 minute subway ride. Or 45 minutes away by bus.

An advantage to living in the Laoshan campus, unlike the Fushan campus, is that you will be on the same campus as Chinese students. It may be easier to meet Chinese friends that way and be able to improve your Chinese faster. You will have to be proactive about meeting people though. 

• Helpful 1

I can't seem to delete my second and third last post so I'll have to keep them there. But please disregard those ones. The last one is the most up to date info about the location of the new dorm and building.

• New Members

Hi @ling_ling24!

Thank you for your replies, info and help. Yeap! I'm realizing Chinese universities websites are not the most accurate nor up-to-date of the World ?. Despite I don't usually like to manage through go-between guys I'll try your suggestion. Specially for there's seem to be no other option. Anyway, still not sure if doing it with a University. I'll keep on lookig for the best option.

Big tnanks. Have a nice week!
Yi Bo

• 5 months later...