Chinese-Forums

Ocean University of China, Qingdao

Saxondale

• 2 weeks later...

Hello @campfire,

Sorry for the late reply. Just got back to Vancouver, BC last week for the summer break. I'd say that the majority of international students studying Mandarin at OUC in Qingdao are Korean. I knew this fact before going there but to see it in person was definitely an adjustment. The OUC international students' dorm and school have many Koreans and to a lesser degree, Russians. Breaking it down further, there are students from various parts of the world, like Europeans, Americans and Indians on a study abroad program, Southeast Asians, a few Canadians, Africans, etc.  

You'll find that the various ethnic groups tend to stick together. So it's good to put yourself out there from the start if you want to befriend them and not feel lonely and isolated (unless you have your own friends already). From a language learning perspective, I think it's good that there is a high Korean population. Most Koreans in the school don't speak English very well (unless they've studied English abroad) so you've no choice but speak Mandarin with them. At first, it's kind of an adjustment if you've mainly been speaking English or some other language, but you'll find your Mandarin improving over time with them. What would have been even better is if the Laoshan campus (where Chinese students study) and the Fushan campus (were international students study) were together in one location. Then we can befriend and practice our Mandarin with more Chinese students.

• Like 1

Hey @campfire again,

I'm not sure about joining in the middle of the term. I didn't know about that option until you sent me that link, or perhaps OUC's English wording was off. Perhaps you can email OUC in English (if you don't feel comfortable writing in Chinese) via iec@mail.ouc.edu.cn or iec@public.qd.sd.cn 

I personally wouldn't recommend joining midway through the semester because there is a lot of material covered each week and catching up midway may be kind of challenging. If you're taking the course just casually, then perhaps it's not a problem. However, if you plan to take the final exam (which is optional, as mentioned in one of my recent postings), then I think you may find it hard. But it's up to you.

As for the class size, it varies between classes and semesters. There seems to be more students in the lower level classes. I was in A3 class during the spring 2015 term and there were ~25 students. Sounds like a lot, but I don't think the number of students matter that much, because after the first month, you'll see students beginning to skip class. By the last month, only I and another student attended the majority of our classes (we ended up having the highest marks on our finals).

There are 5 levels of classes with sub-levels based on your proficiency: A1, A2, A3 (being faster paced than A1 & A2); B1, B2, B3, & B+ (which is new as past students have found the learning curve from B to C level big), C (only one class so the class has 30ish students), D (only one class), and E
 (only one class). Not sure if there will be any changes for the fall term. This should give you an idea of the class divisions though.

In total, there are over 100 students in the school. You'll get to see many of the new/incoming students during orientation morning (which usually happen a day before classes start).

Which level are you planning to go to? 

• Like 2

@Holly93: Sorry for the late reply. Hope the registration process to OUC for the fall term is coming along! Yes, thrice12 is right in that it's better to do the physical exam in China. At first, I was scared of the idea of having it done there 'cause I don't exactly trust China's healthcare system, but it was alright. The whole process of the physical exam at the healthcare centre takes about 1 to 1.5 hours--you just go from one station to another. It was the line-up at the beginning where you provide your documents that took a while. 

I don't know about your place of residence but in Vancouver, BC, not only do you have to get your doctor to fill out a form after having done health check-ups on you but you need to pay $280 to get the exam notarized at a notary. Then you need to pay even more (probably over $100) for authentication at the capital of BC and the stamping done by the local Chinese Consulate. 

The physical exam in China is 492 RMB which will save you time and pain from doing it in your area.

As for when you should arrive in Qingdao, I'd agree at least a week prior is ideal. I felt that a week wasn't enough for me to feel quite settled in before classes started. It might take a while for you to adjust to the new culture, environment, system, people, etc. so arriving even 2 weeks prior would be good.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked but I can't look at past pages due to a browser problem. 

Can someone give me the starting dates for each semester? How far in advance do we have to apply for each semester?

I am considering taking a class but I don't arrive until March 2016 and I don't know if that's too late or not. 

I've already graduated from university so I'll be doing this on my own. If anyone has any experiences with that, please let me know :) 

Hey, Rayne. March is totally fine with OUC. Normally term starts at 3-8th of March. But, you can delay a bit, it's alright.

I have try to check the info on official one. I would recommend you to check out on cucas. Just Google Cucas, and then Ouc. You will find all the info you need. Info is quite accurate.

Hello Crazy Chinese Forum people,

I hope you are doing all fine.

I liked what it is written about Qingdao, so I am kind of almost convinced to go there for the next year ;)  

Could anyone tell me how much approximately will I need to study here for 2 semesters?? (I know it depends on you, but I will add also more, I just I would like to learn an estimated cost?

And from posts, my only concern is nightlife. Is there not really not so good night life in Qingdao?? ( We need also some parties right) :) 

Thx for your replies.

Suat

Its 7000RMB per semester, so 14000 for 2...i'd say budget 15000-15500 for visa expenses, insurance, and books.

Cost of living is completely up to you. I think the cheapest dorm at OUC is like 1000RMB per month maybe 1100. But if you want to live off campus that could be anywhere from 1500 to 5000+ per month depending on if you want to live alone, how nice of a place you want, location, etc.

For food you could probably live off 1000 a month if you really budgeted. 3000 is more realistic if you want to include going out for drinks and western food every now and then.

I think the nightlife here is fine. Lots of decent bars, not too sure about clubs although they are out there I just don't know the quality of them

Hey everyone!

I am from Germany and also staying at OUC this term. I already arrived on the 24th but only found this forum now. Is there anyone else here staying on Yushan campus as well? I am a Marine Science master student, but won't be taking the regular classes and instead work in a research group. It would be great to get to know some people. On the 30th I will go to Fushan to register, but so far I couldn't find were the bus between Yushan and Fushan leaves. There are also some other things that have me a bit confused and I haven't really found any Info for internationals on Yushan. (I don't speak Chinese, so that might be why)

Looking forward to hearing from you :)

Hey @rayne,

I also self applied to the OUC Mandarin program (after graduating from university) for the spring 2015 term via Cucas.com. Classes started on March 10 this year. Like @suserouse recommended, Cucas (via http://school.cucas.edu.cn/Study-In-Ocean-University-of-China_33.html) is definitely a good website for applying to the Mandarin program. I found the English of the Cucas stuff not very good but they will reply to your emails promptly (taking into account the time difference) and help you jump through many hurdles that you may face if you applied via the OUC website.

The application procedures to OUC on Cucas are quite straightforward so there is nothing to worry about. You may need to email them for clarification on certain things though. I applied in September 2015 for the spring term. You can apply now if you'd like but the application deadline isn't until 2016. I got my acceptance letter in early November because I applied early. Hope this helps!

@SuatYazici: You can also see the estimated expenses in Qingdao (including room cost and options at the Fushan campus) on Cucas (via http://school.cucas....f-China_33.html). But the photo of the dorm there (I see they changed it) is not anything like what it actually looks like.

You can check out my Facebook album for a more accurate depiction of the Fushan dorm and school. You'll also find many pics in the album of my life in Qingdao so far: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153247310412874.1073741851.508917873&type=1&l=674cfc6c6e 

As for night life in Qingdao, there are definitely many pubs you can check out. There are some in the city centre (like on Xianggang Zhong Lu) and a whole bunch on Jiangxi Lu (very close to OUC) that many OUC students go to. Not a fan of the pubs there though. I'd recommend going to Dubliner in the city's Olympic Sailing Centre area. It's very spacious and you won't find any pubs quite like it in Qingdao. They have a live band playing every day and foosball and a pool table.There are also some nightclubs but don't expect them to be what they're like back home. Lots of them play electronic music (like Muse and Mint). Lots of second hand smoking in there which is a big reason why I tend to avoid pubs and clubs in China. Angelina's is a popular nightclub (haven't been). They offer free drinks for ladies on Wednesday nights and free drinks for guys on Friday nights. You should check out Qingdao's local expat magazine called Redstar which you can pick up in front of Lucca's (a cafe/restaurant near the OUC school) for the latest happenings and restaurant/places listings in Qingdao. 

Also, if you've WeChat, you should ask friends you meet when you get here if they could add you to expat groups on WeChat. They always post events (day and night ones) on there so you're in the loop about the latest Qingdao happenings. And meet new friends too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Jessiwey: Unfortunately, I don't know anyone from the Yushan campus and I'm not going to Yushan either. :( I'll let you know if I do know anyone who goes there in the future. 

Have you tried Googling the bus stop that will take you from Yushan to Fushan? Baidu maps is also a useful tool that you can download on your phone for looking up directions.

If you've any Yushan-related questions, perhaps you can email the Cucas staff. Or can you get someone who knows Mandarin to ask the Yushan school directly for you? Here's some info about the Yushan campus via Cucas (not sure if it's all that helpful though): http://school.cucas.edu.cn/accommodatain/building/33/202

• Like 1

Hey Rayne,

Wow, it's awesome that you're from Vancouver too. :) Small world. I don't think arriving earlier or later in March will affect your application status or when you should apply. There are application deadlines listed in the Cucas link I sent you. You just have to select how many terms you want to study for. The deadline seems to be a month before the start of school. I would suggest you apply at least 2 months in advance because it takes time for you to prepare things and to hear back from Cucas about your application status.

• Like 1

Thanks! I'm checking the website now and one thing I couldn't find is how long a semester is? Is it March ~ June and Sept ~ Dec? There are only 2 semesters in one academic year? 

Yeah, small world! And I think we might be the same age if you're the year of the horse (saw it on the facebook link you provided ^^) 

One semester is typically 4.5 months long. So the spring term will be from March 9, 2016 to around the end of the first week of July (when final exams start). The fall semester this year is from September 7, 2015 to December 31, 2015. There is a longer 1-week break in October (China's National Week) and maybe some one-day breaks including Christmas.

There are 2 main terms (each 4.5 months long) in an academic year but you can also take summer classes for 1 month (listed on Cucas).

Yes, we're the same age then! :D Nice observation via my Facebook album. Haha 

• Like 1