Chinese-Forums

Ocean University of China, Qingdao

Saxondale

Hi!!

@rayne yes!one semester is erely four months of lectures... September-December and exams usually the first days of January. And March-June and exams on the first days of July!

@Jessiwey there are a few university buses that connect each campus every day: From Yushan to Fushan and to Laoshan... from Fushan to Yushan and to Laoshan and so on. Normally they stop inside the main gate of each campus.buses are white with the logo of Ocean University. Timetable i can't tell you exactly but there were early in the mornings maybe between 7 and 8. Midday between 12 and 1 and some others... Not sure about the departure times so you'd better take a look!

You have to register in Fushan campus. Maybe you can also try taking a bus...there are many options. Near Yushan campus is Daxue Lu (大学路) you can take bus 225 and get off in the bus stop after "Qingdao Daxue Dong Yuan" stop (青岛大学东院). I don't remember the bus stop name now but it's the next one after Qingdao University. You get off there, walk straight towards the oil station, pass it and then cross to the other side where you will see Fushan campus main entrance!

Near Yushan Campus there are other buses. you can walk down to the seaside road. You can take there many buses that go all along to Qingdao university and Ocean University. For example bus numbers 501 or 321. And then you should also get off at the bus stop after Qingdao University!

Buses are 1 yuan per ride, except for the ones with air-conditioner like bus number 501 that costs 2 yuan.

I can't help you with other information about Yushan Campus as i've always stayed at Fushan campus!

But hope this information was useful!

Good luck!!

• Like 1

Oh right! You can take the OUC school bus, which is free. Here is the bus schedule (it should be the same this term):  http://bit.ly/1JzXXGh. Refer to the first column for buses from Yushan to Fushan. Refer to the last column for buses from Fushan to Yushan. Unlike public buses, you won't have to worry about getting off at the right bus stop because the school bus will take you directly to Fushan from Yushan. I'd recommend taking the school bus, especially if you're unsure of how to get there.

Here is what the OUC school bus looks like. Also, the picture is of the entrance of the Fushan campus: http://on.fb.me/1LzfNx0

If you're taking the public bus, the bus stop to get off at to get to Fushan is 徐家麦岛 (Xu Jia Mai Dao).It's the one right after McDonald's toward the gas station that ahris mentioned. You can also ask the bus driver to let you know when you've arrived at the bus stop to OUC's Fushan school.

• Like 1

@Ling_ling24.

That's right, the name of the bus stop is 徐家麦岛 "Xu Jia Mai Dao". That was the one i mentioned although i had forgotten the name. But let's not confuse @Jessiwey.

I told him to get off at the bus stop after 青岛大学东院 "Qingdao Daxue Dongyuan" bus stop. And that is Xu Jia Mai Dao. Where the oil station is. So what i explained before was totally correct.

As @Jessiwey said before, his chinese level is very low or almost none...so communication with the bus driver might be problematic.

@Jessiwey. You could write down the name of the bus stop. Inside the bus there is an electronic screen where they show the name of each bus stop. And they also say it in Chinese and in English. So i think there will be no problem at all with taking the public bus! Sooner or later you will have to take public buses!

By the way. There are also public transportation rechargeable cards so each ride instead of 1 yuan will cost you around 0,80 yuan. You buy the card and then recharge it as much as you want. You can recharge it in stores such as Seven Eleven, Kehao etc. There is a small public transport office right beside Mykal shopping centre in 香港中路 Xiang Gang Zhong Lu where you can buy the card. But i bet there are more around Qingdao!

Cheers!

Below is a useful APP for checking the bus you are going to take.  

http://khd.qingdaonews.com/qdbus/

Simply put the bus no. into the blank,e.g 225, then select the station where you locate (eg.徐家麦岛), then it will show how many stations away the bus is (from yours), you can estimate the time. MAKE SURE you are on the direction where the bus goes(slide left/right to select the direction,up/down to select station).

Thank you so much everyone! I looked up buses online and also got the stop you mentioned, but now I'm sure :) I already took the public bus today and it worked quite well with writing down the stop and I'm picking up some phrases as I go. There was no screen in the bus I was on though, but the other passengers knew.

I saw the school bus schedule from the year before, but how long will the bus take from Yushan to Fushan? Will the 7 am be there in time for the 8 am opening ceremony? Does the color code mean anything?

By now I also have met some of my housemates who are very helpful and told me many things already. Baidu will be very helpful since it won't need the VPN connection, so thank you for that tip!

Btw. I'm a girl ;)

@ahris: Sorry, I did notice that I misread your post during my first read. But I'd corrected what I'd written about the bus stop name before your response.

As for the public transportation rechargeable card, it's 12 kuai to buy the card itself, then 1 kuai per bus ride (so the same price as regular bus fare), not 0.80. Perhaps the pricing has changed now. I charged 38 kuai on mine, so I paid a total of 50 kuai (including the card fee). Also, just for clarification, the public transportation office to buy your card is opposite Mykal mall, not beside it. It's across from Mykal mall's Starbucks.

@Jessiwey: I'm not quite sure how long it would take to get to Yushan to Fushan by the OUC school bus, as I've not taken that bus before. I'm guessing the school bus will take a shorter time than the public bus as it doesn't have to make stops. So I think you'll be fine taking the 7 am bus to get to the 8 am orientation. But double check with someone. I'm not sure about the colour coding either as I haven't taken that bus before. Could you ask someone about it? Sorry I can't be of more help! I'm glad you were able to arrive at the right destination!

@ling_ling24 hi! The main entrance of Mykal is in 香港中路 XiangGangZhongLu.So on the left side of Mykal there is 书城ShuCheng (Book City) and on the right side, where the Starbucks's entrance is, there is a building of appartments and there is he small transportation office. So it's not opposite to Mykal as that would seem to be on the other side of 香港中路。it's beside Mykal, on the right side of Mykal.

Also, yeah you pay 12 yuan for the transportation card and then you pay whatever ammount you want. But hey, please check the card machine when you pay inside the bus. If you check the screen you will see that they don't charge you 1kuai.it's less. As i said it's around 0,80kuai.

@Jessiwey.i'm glad youhad no problems with the public transportation! I think it's quite easy! Some buses may not have the screen and there are some buses where you have to pay to a person inside the bus, so first you tell them the bus stop where you are going and then they will charge you.you can give them cash or pay with the card.those buses are the long distance ones,as you can travel further away they can to charge you more or less depending on where you go. For example bus number 304.

I don't know if you already have it but you can download Pleco dictionary in your mobile! It is awesome and it will be super helpful! You can look up words in english or chinese and also draw the characters to know what they are... It will be great to improve your chinese and also for daily life if you don't know the meaning of some food on a menu or whatever!!

As @ling_ling24 said the university buses are faster as they don't stop on the way to the other campus!

Actually it will show you 1¥ since you just bought a card. You haven't apply for any kind of discount. For that reason you might need to show student ID. Perhaps they won't be satisfied with it, and will ask for some kind of paper from the uny. Basically, mafan. We've got the card just for avoiding cash and coins in the pocket.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone share what their class schedule is like? For example, Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Chinese 101 is from 1:30~2:30PM... or something :P I'd just like to know what a students' weekly schedule looks like. I'd actually really love to travel so would like long weekends so ideally having classes Mon-Wed and then having Thurs-Sun to travel... I know that's highly unlikely to happen though! 

Hey Rayne,

Yes, we still have classes Monday to Friday, 8 am to 12 pm. There are 2 classes each day (each class is 2 hours long). If you're coming in the spring term, there is a 1-day break for Tomb Sweeping holiday in early April, a 9-day holiday in late May (before the mid-terms) for Labour Week, and a 1-day holiday in late June for the Dragon Boat's Festival. So perhaps you can go traveling then. Perhaps you can go to nearby cities during the weekend.

If you can read Chinese, here is what the schedule looks like for the fall term: http://bit.ly/1XJYeRt

As for your question about the textbooks OUC is using, it depends on which level you're taking. What's your approximate level? How many years of Mandarin have you taken? I can give you a better answer then. I think the same textbooks have been used for years now. If you're taking level A or B, you can buy used ones (some have past students' writing on them) from the maintenance guy (named Yu Shifu) downstairs in the Fushan No. 9 international students' dorm for 10 kuai each (you need 4 books in total) vs. new ones for 200+ kuai from the school. 

For Levels A & B, you need to buy books for comprehensive/grammar, listening, and speaking (which are separate classes). Here is the A level textbook for comprehensive: http://amzn.to/1OxMOdl. You can search up the ones for listening and speaking.

• Like 1

• New Members

My contribution here is actually a question(s). i recently relocated to qingdao from beijing. i am doing my research work at an institute in laoshan. i wish to ask if there is a place around where i can register for weekend chinese classes? i would also like to meet new people and make friends since i am a little lonely here. can anybody add me to any expat social group(s) or something like that or write to me please. :lol:

Thanks

Pmtheprince3: if you send me your WeChat on here, I can add you to some WeChat expat groups that regularly post events, happenings, and job offerings on it.

Rayne: I am Cantonese and can speak Cantonese as well. You will definitely have an upper advantage in learning Mandarin from a Cantonese base. :)

So as promised, here is more comprehensive and updated info about OUC Fushan’s campus and no. 9 international students' dorm. This thread started back in 2011 and some info has since been outdated. Keep in mind that the info below may be subject to change, but it is the most up to date info to my knowledge. Info that has been previously discussed will not be repeated, so take a look at the older posts. Info regarding the dorm is relevant to students who live in the no. 9 dorm, not scholarship students who live in the no. 4 dorm.

Here are two useful student handbooks about OUC & Qingdao that I read before going to Qingdao. You’ll not be given these handbooks from OUC. I’d to beg the OUC Fushan staff via email to send me the most up to date handbook (October 2014). Some of the info is outdated but it’ll give you a better idea of living and studying in OUC:

1)      http://china.missouristate.edu/assets/china/Student_Guidebook_Qingdao.pdf

2)      OUC International Students’ Handbook (October 2014). It’s in a non-web PDF format so I’ll have to email it to you if you’d like it (just give me your email address).

SCHOOL RELATED INFO

School orientation (or lack thereof):

Unlike previous terms, for some reason, there is no orientation this term offered by the OUC Fushan staff for new students. The orientation is basically an introduction of the OUC school and when you can get your class assignment (i.e., A1, B1, etc.) and class schedule. It’s usually held in the Tae Kwon Do place below the Fushan dorm. Not sure if there will be an orientation offered during future academic terms. You'll get your class assignment and class schedule in the school's front lobby on the first day before classes start.

School group trips (or lack thereof):

Unlike previous years, starting in spring 2015 term, school trips organized by each class’s teacher have been discontinued. In the past, teachers would bring their students to Laoshan (the mountain) and other attractions in Qingdao. However, because a previous student got into an accident during a trip, the school terminated school group trips to avoid being held accountable for potential risks. However, there was a Foreign-Chinese get-together at the Laoshan campus in late March where Fushan language students bused to Laoshan campus to see Chinese students perform for and mingle with them.

• Like 2

DORM RELATED INFO

Room reservations

From what my friend said recently, you won’t be able to reserve a room in the dorm unless you pay a refundable deposit prior to your arrival (which is kind of impossible if you’re not already in Qingdao). They don’t do free reservations anymore because students would reserve them and never show up. But if you don’t like the room you were assigned, you can tell them you want to look at other rooms. I wouldn’t suggest the 6th floor as the rooms are old. There are 2 kinds of rooms: 1) renovated (although still not completely new) with new bathrooms and flooring and 2) crappy ones with ugly-looking bathrooms and flooring.

If you’re away during the winter or summer break and want to keep your room (you still have to move your stuff out but you can keep them in boxes in the dorm’s basement), you’ll need to pay a refundable deposit of 500 kuai. I think if you want to keep your room without moving your stuff out, you have to pay the full monthly rent for however long you’re away.

You have to pay at least 3 months of rent. After that, you can switch rooms if you want.

When checking into the dorm upon arrival, it is best to come before the staff get off work, so before 10 pm. You can still get in after 10 pm but you’ll have to knock on the door and wake up the security guard (who sleeps every night in the lobby) as well as a receptionist who will help you with check-in.

Front Desk Dorm Staff

The front desk staff lack English skills. In fact, most of them only know some basic English words and phrases. So be prepared to face language barriers and frustrations. It’d be good to have an interpreter who can speak Mandarin to help you out. Most of the staff are also indifferent to your needs and questions and seem to be busy calculating numbers more than anything. I don’t think they enjoy their job very much. Don’t expect much customer service from them.

The maintenance guy (Yu Shifu), however, is quite helpful. I have his phone number and WeChat so whenever I need help, he’s only a phone call or message away. He also usually addresses your needs promptly, like within the day. He works until at least 8 pm almost every day. Trust me, you’ll need him because the dorm is mega old (even though it’s only 15 years old) and things in your room stop working or get broken/damaged. Don’t expect your room to look and smell clean and everything working (like the internet outlets) when you arrive. Yu Shifu can be quite impatient, scary (at first), and speaks Mandarin at fire speed, but not a lick of English. However, he’s generally friendly and helpful. He always asks me to help him address English speaking students’ needs, like with Wi-Fi set-up and buying stuff from him, which can get annoying. When I asked him, he said he likes his job.

Corrections to the Dorm’s “Housing Agreement”

When you sign in to the Fushan No. 9 dorm upon arrival, you’re given a housing agreement sheet that you’re asked to sign. However, the info on it is severely outdated. Last spring, I tried asking one of the front desk staff to update it but she said she had to ask the manager first. Don’t know if she ever did. They probably just don’t care enough to change these things. So below is the corrected info:

Item #2: You can actually have a rice cooker, microwave, fridge, and/or electric stove in your room. I’ve seen students with them in their rooms. However, because you’re limited to 60 kWh of electricity per month, it’s good to be cautious of your electricity use. Unplug appliances that aren’t in use.

Item #6: You’ll need to pay a room damage deposit of 1000 kuai (not 500 kuai that the Housing Agreement says). If there is no damage to your room when you leave, you’ll get the 1000 kuai back from the front desk.

Item #10: There is actually no curfew. You don’t need to come back to the dorm by 11 pm. Since last spring, students were given electric key cards that you have to flash at the door to get in. Without the card, you have no access. So as long as you have the card, it doesn’t matter what time you return to the dorm.

Item #12: There are cleaning ladies who replace the bag in your garbage bin every morning if you leave it in front of your room. They usually come around 9 am—you’ll hear their loud talking in the hallway.

Item #13: The beddings provided in each dorm can be replaced every Saturday at 9:30-10:30 am (not 9-11 am) in room 531 (across from the elevator on the 5th floor). You can get a fresh set so you don’t have to worry about washing your bedding.

Item #14: Reception isn’t actually available 24/7 to address your questions. They close at 10 pm although there is a security guard that sleeps in the lobby every night.

Item #15: There are no warm water restrictions in the Fushan dorm. There used to be.

Buying Mandarin textbooks, household items, etc.

Before you go out and buy a bunch of stuff for your dorm, you may want to consider asking Yu Shifu first (the maintenance guy working in the Fushan No. 9 dorm). He collects things that previous students have left behind in their dorms and sells them in the basement (I like to call it the “treasure dungeon”—not really). You can buy textbooks (levels A & B only although this may change) if you don’t mind them used and are only 10 kuai each (as opposed to over 200 kuai for 4 books from the school), clothing hangers, a clothing rack (for drying your clothes as the dorm doesn’t have clothing dryers), desk lamps, routers and modems for Wi-Fi access, adapter banks, etc. You can also probably get some stuff free from Yu Shifu like notebooks, stationary stuff, etc. in the basement if you ask him.

Side note on buying the Mandarin textbooks:

If you aren’t able to buy or get used textbooks from Yu Shifu (the maintenance guy in the no. 9 dorm) or other people (if you choose this route), you can buy the textbooks of the level you’re trying out. If you want to change the class level, you can return the textbooks to the school provided you haven’t written in them. 

Internet

There is no internet in the dorm so you have to buy it from external sources. There are 2 main places you can buy Wi-Fi from:

1) A building (people keep calling it the “school library” but it is no longer a library) for 30 kuai/month but it’s just an office on the 4th floor of this brown building near the school that’s really sketchy-looking and the floors and stairs are full of litter. Bring your passport with you. You will only need to buy a router (you can get it for 80 kuai from Yu Shifu). No need to buy a modem because the internet is connected to another source (an internet box near the front door of each dorm room).

2)  A place near the dorm (you've to walk through a gate) for 100 kuai per month (+ 70 kuai for the router & 100 kuai for the modem, the latter of which is returnable & refundable). However, you can buy the router and modem from the maintenance guy downstairs in the Fushan dorm for much cheaper.

Food

There is no kitchen in the dorm. There’s only a pantry on the 4th floor where students store nasty stuff in the cabinets. You can buy a rice cooker and portable electronic stove to cook some simple food in your room. And a microwave and mini fridge if you’d like. There is no cafeteria in the Fushan international students’ school. The building is just a crappy and old looking building of 4 floors with Mandarin and undergraduate Chinese classes on the 3rd and 4th floors. You can buy your food at the food stands near the school (which is fast and convenient), at restaurants on Xianggang Dong Lu (the street the school is on), or Qing Da Yi Lu (the street the Fushan dorm is on). Sadly, many restaurants on Qing Da Yi Lu have been demolished to make way for new apartment buildings. A fairly new 7 Eleven and convenience store there have also been taken down. There is a small supermarket near the dorm but the products are not as cheap and diverse as the one on Qing Da Yi Lu.

*Correction (as of Sept. 19, '15): there actually is a canteen on the 2nd floor of a building north of the Fushan international school. I didn't know where it was until now. It's located between the no. 9 dorm and school. You'll see a convenience store and a few restaurants on the first floor. But because the Chinese students nearby get off earlier from school than the international students, there probably won't be much food left over when we get off at 12 pm. 

Water

Tap water in China is not drinkable. However, you can get warm water from the water boiler room on the 3rd floor of the dorm. You can also order big 18.9 L jugs of water from the maintenance guy (Yu Shifu) downstairs for 12 kuai. You'll also need to buy a water pump which is 20 kuai from Yu Shifu. He can deliver a jug of water to your room whenever you need one.

Laundry

If you live in the Fushan No. 9 dorm, there is a laundry room on the 2nd floor. You need to have at least 3 kuai in coins (not cash) prior to insert into the laundry machine. 3 kuai will give you 35 mins of laundry time. 4 kuai will be 45 mins. There are no clothing dryers so you will need to buy a clothing rack outside or buy one from Yu Shifu (which is cheaper than buying outside). Many students leave their clothing racks out in the hallway outside their rooms to dry their clothing.

• Like 2