Chinese-Forums

Chinese Costume Dramas with English subs

Gleaves

Not sure if it has been mentioned here, so I just wanted to point out the site Ancient Chinese Series. It is a site that collects costume dramas that have been translated to English. About 30 some shows. They have download links for all the episodes, usually with English hard subs. Thankfully, they often also provide links to the Chinese only versions. The focus is pop-heavy idol-type 武侠, which I realize is not everyone's bag, but it is still an impressive amount of content.

I've been sampling some 怪侠一枝梅, which seems to be a Chinese Robin Hood. Also 侠女闯天关, which I'm pretty sure a ten year old Chinese version of myself would have loved.

• Like 1

Not sure if it has been mentioned here, so I just wanted to point out the site Ancient Chinese Series. It is a site that collects costume dramas that have been translated to English. About 30 some shows. They have download links for all the episodes, usually with English hard subs. Thankfully, they often also provide links to the Chinese only versions. The focus is pop-heavy idol-type 武侠, which I realize is not everyone's bag, but it is still an impressive amount of content.

Staggered. Not one mention of Di Ren Jie, as far as I can see. My wife & I love these Chinese historical drama series, but with the sole exception of "The Three Kingdoms", I don't see one I recognise. Over the past few years we have watched (on CCTV-4 and CCTV-F, in the U.K.) at least five series of Di Ren Jie, plus Song Ci, Xi Laile, La Porte de Devant est de 30 m de haut, Wu Zetian and so on. Extremely well made, and even for someone who struggles very hard to follow the dialogue, extremely entertaining.

** Phil.

For some reason the worse a Chinese drama is the more likely it seems to be to get the full subtitles treatment. There's a shop at the south end of Wangfujing - ZAPP? BAMM? Something like that - which has a whole section of Chinese TV shows on DVD / VCD with English subtitles - didn't see a single one I recognized, or any that looked likely to be any good.

Phil - For Di Ren Jie, is that the same as the one mentioned in the first episodes project 神探狄仁杰? Was there a season of that you would recommend in particular or did you enjoy them all? I watched the first episode a while back, but I was thinking of giving it a try again.

But yes, there seems to be a strong English-speaking following of mediocre Chinese shows.

Phil - For Di Ren Jie, is that the same as the one mentioned in the first episodes project 神探狄仁杰? Was there a season of that you would recommend in particular or did you enjoy them all? I watched the first episode a while back, but I was thinking of giving it a try again.

Yes, that is definitely one of the "well worth watching" series; the chap on the extreme left in the first picture I recognise as his trusty bodyguard. I'm just scanning the front covers of some boxed DVD sets that are also well worth hunting out -- we saw them first on CCTV, then tracked them down as DVDs. Attached here, with any luck.

** Phil.

post-44299-058839700 1311183058_thumb.jpg

post-44299-033296300 1311183083_thumb.jpg

post-44299-050007100 1311183103_thumb.jpg

post-44299-066306000 1311183127_thumb.jpg

I think the English subbed shows on the Ancient Chinese Series site are mostly fan subs. I think renzhe might be right about it being a demographic thing.

Yes, I have some "Baby Cart" (a.k.a. "Lone Wolf & Cub") recordings that fall into that category; the sub-titling is pretty dire, to say the least :blink: