Chinese-Forums

Prescription filling and seeing a Dr. in Guangzhou

cubfan0178

Hello Everyone,

I have recently been offered a job in Guangzhou starting in September. My question is that I am a kidney transplant recipient and am curious if anyone has any idea how difficult or easy it would be for me to get my prescriptions filled in Guangzhou or if they would even be available in Beijing, Hong Kong or Shanghai. If worst came to worst I could have the medications shipped from the states but I would rather just get them in China if possible. The medications are called Prograf (Tacrolimus) and Cellcept (Mycophenolate)The generic names are in parentheses.

Any help that you all can provide me would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know how bulky they'd be, but could you take them with you? That way you'd know you've got them.

I'll need to take a year's supply of meds with me but my gp said I could take it all out with me as he'd done that for someone else recently. Being in Scotland, this is the best option financially as all prescriptions are free here but I'd be paying to have them filled in China.

Do you mind if I ask you where you are from? I am pretty sure you can buy these medications at Guangzhou. Even if they local pharmacy has not alway got them in stock, they can definitely order them in for you. Worst comes to worst, you can contact the manufacturers directly if you can't get supply at all at where you will be in China, I think they should be kind enough to let know at least how you can obtain them through certain pathways, considering how much money these big pharms make from their patients!

Sorry I think I didn't read your post very carefully. So you are from the US. Do you have any insurance which covers these meds? If you do, then you may have realised that your insurance company may not extend the coverage if you get your prescriptions filled overseas?

Xiaocai,

Yes I am from the states. My insurance here does cover them I would just prefer not to have to ship them if I can get them in Guangzhou. And yeah I know my insurance won't cover it but I am willing to pay out of pocket.

Thanks for the response. :)

I don't really know much about medical care after kidney transplant, but the word "transplant" always seems serious to me. So based on that I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile for you to contact some hospitals in Guangzhou now, and at least get a contact for a good nephrologist there, should the need arise?

Both Prograf and Cellcept have their supportive websites in China (Chinese only though) with contacts given. They are:

普乐可复新生会

橙心关爱

respectively. I don't know if you read Chinese or speak Chinese or not by any chance, but if you don't, finding a place to get your overseas prescriptions filled exactly as what your US doctors have ordered may be a bit problematic...

I dropped a line to the doctor that runs this site as he's answered questions on here before and thought he might be able to help. I got an email reply - they stock Tacrolimus, but not Cellcept, and you'd need to see a doctor to get the prescription. They're only in Beijing and Shanghai, so maybe not a lot of use.