Chinese-Forums

華國鋒

Jose

I have been trying to find some information about Hua Guofeng (華國鋒), the man who briefly became China's paramount leader after Mao's death in 1976. To my surprise, it seems that he is still alive!!

Since I can only remember reading about him in the history books, I thought he must have died in the eighties or something. I wonder what he is up to now. Does anybody know if he still holds any kind of position within the Communist Party? Has he had any kind of public activity since he was ousted by Deng Xiaoping?

Through google.com.tw. He's been practicing his calligraphy.

http://www.phoenixtv.com.cn/home/phoenixweekly/103/45page.html

华国锋从1976到2002年,一直是中共中央委员。由于年事过高,他没有作为十六大中委候选人,但仍是十六大代表。华国锋没有进入十六大中央委员会,引起了西方舆论的关注。路透社评论:"毛泽东钦点他接班,邓小平让他退位,即将离任的党总书记江泽民和他的同事,安排他平静地结束了政治生涯,这个传奇人物就是前中共主席华国锋。"一名驻北京的外国外交官说:"这代表着一个时代的结束。如果中国共产党决定第三代领导都必须退,那么华国锋也应该离开。"

华国锋对自己的言行十分严谨,虽然他仍然享受国家领导人的政治待遇,可以到全国一些地方走访,但他很少离开北京,从不议论时政。 华国锋身边的人和友人,现在习惯称他为"华老",他对这个称呼感到很自然。有时也有人称呼他"华主席",据说他对这个称呼感到很不自在。

此次中共十六大,华国锋依然在中央直属机关小组,但他请了病假,没有参加会议。有代表询问为什么没有提名华国锋为十六大中央委员,中直机关小组召集人解释说,主要是考虑他已是81岁高龄,身体也不好。

一名十六大代表这样描述华国锋目前的生活现状:深居简出,勤练书法。他最近看到华国锋的一幅字,"鲲鹏展翅"四个颜体大字写得浑然大气、骨力毕现。

• 3 years later...