Chinese-Forums

Wudaokou Apartment Hunting

stephaniepainter3

We ended up paying 10 months in advance. They told us that this apartment has not been empty more than 4 days for over 2 years, and we can believe that based on the location and apartment itself. So we had to pay full rent in advance to have a shot for it.

I have a bridge I'd like to sell you :D

10 months in advance seems a bit extreme. Just hope you don't have any problems with your landlord :mrgreen:

• Like 2

I'm not trying to make aspi feel bad, I'm trying to let future readers know that paying 10 months in advance is definitely not the norm. Being prepared to walk away from a deal is the best way to close it as aspi found out, and I would imagine the same result could have been had without paying that much up front.

• Like 2

yeh I know it does feel not just a bit but quite extreme but I can not see anything going wrong. We have everything on paper, if landlord terminates our agreement, we will get money back from the leftover months and so on. On the other hand I do not know how binding those papers are in China. Are they valid documents like in Western countries or what. I have never been good to bargain prices down so once I got it from 12 months + extra hassle to 10 months I was happy :)

We got to that 10 months because there seemed to be someone who was prepared to stay for 12 months, so we had to offer something to keep our hands on the apartment. It could have just been a show, we will never know but at the end everyone seemed so happy so I doubt there is going to be any problems.

imron, tell me more about that bridge :)

Hi. I have been apartment hunting in Wudaokou myself, and I can confirm that the song and dance about there being demand for the apartment as a way to pressure you is a common agent tactic here. Also, if you ever pay more than 6 months in advance, you should get a discount on the rent.

it was not our agent who did the dance, it was our landlord. and I think we got some kind of " discount " since we do not have to pay agency fee or that tax. We were also told that it is very common that landlord uses more than 1 agent. So even 4 agencies might have that same apartment in their lists, this is to market it to as many as possible. I like to think I am pretty good to tell if someone is playing with me, but with our landlord who was a she and looked like a nice lady :), it did not seem like it was all just a show. Everything unusual does not have to be a dance of some kind but neither should you believe everything they are saying.

As said by most here, your best bet is to wait until you're actually here before signing or reserving anything.

Personally I've used thebeijinger to find a place (there are LOADS of ads for Wudaokou) and it worked out well for me. Not having an agent to steal you a month's worth of rent is nice :)

Hi!

I am looking for a room near Tsinghua University. I am looking for a place for the next one or two semesters but i would be even happy to find something for the next month or so in order to keep looking for a permanent place. The bed in the hostel is just too uncomfortable....

I am 25 year girl. I am open minded, love traveling, cooking & enjoy being around great people :)

All hints would be helpful!

Pille

Hi, im Freek.

Arrived yesteryday, i am also looking for an appartment near wudaokou.

I'm from the Netherlands, 23 years old and took the chinese language course at tsinghua. I am somewhat above beginner level (7months).

Hobbies are football, music and in weekends i like to have a drink (so classic)

If you are interested to go hunting appartment with me to share with 2-3 others, or you are looking for a roommate; please contact my chinese phone.

China: 0086 18210296533 Netherlands: 0031631678894

I will not be reading the forum, because i cant login with facebook. A friend posted this for me.

Cheers!