Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

• Why you should look around

Since 2003, Chinese-forums.com has been helping people learn Chinese faster and get to China sooner. Our members can recommend beginner textbooks, help you out with obscure classical vocabulary, and tell you where to get the best street food in Xi'an. And we're friendly about it too. 

Have a look at what's going on, or search for something specific. We hope you'll join us. 
jkhsu

What level of Chinese can you achieve outside of China?

imron

Yeah, but that is taken a little bit out of context. The sentence before that is:

Give three intense years of your life to Chinese, and you will be superficially fluent.

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

renzhe

It's quite interesting how all the really successful role models say that with maximum effort, you can reach some kind of fluency in roughly 3 years. Mark Rowswell, Julien Gaudfroy. David Moser wrote the "humility" bit, but was already quite good after 5 years, IIRC. There must be something to it.

• Like 2

anonymoose

Well, like with learning anything, there's always a distribution of achievement, which inevitably means there will be a minority at the top of the distribution who's achievements surpass those of the majority.

yialanliu

Just to clarify some earlier posting.

To understand the "dialects" with studying outside of China is near impossible unless you focus on it. These "dialects" are in reality a different language. Shanghainese has less in common with mandarin than Spanish, French, and English have in common with each other. This means as a fluent english person, how good is your spanish or french? you might know a word or two, but would you call yourself fluent in those languages? Thus, even if you are a native at mandarin, you will still be a novice in shanghainese.

I am fluent speaking in mandarin and shanghainese yet am completely clueless in cantonese a so called "dialect" but in reality according to linguists can be considered another language and might even be it's own family of languages.

gato
Shanghainese has less in common with mandarin than Spanish, French, and English have in common with each other.

Probably similar to the distance between Spanish and French. Similar grammar. A lot of different vocabs for words that are more ancient in origin like pronouns. Similar or same words for more modern vocabulary. Different pronunciations.

There are other dialects, like Cantonese, that are more different from Mandarin.

James3

One option which I didn't see mentioned here, is to host a Chinese exchange student in your home. I may be wrong about this though, because one of the hopes of the Chinese student could be to speak nothing but English. However, perhaps the criteria of "I want to speak only Chinese in my home" could be made known in the application or selection process. I don't know.

But for the normal, average Joe who has a job, a wife, one or more kids, and the usual responsibilities and resources, maybe this would be a reasonable way of introducing more Chinese into your daily life. Has anyone tried this?

• Like 1