Chinese-Forums

(Dried) Kangaroo meat - prohibited item?

thewamphyri

Hello,

I am having trouble finding what I need regarding the custom regulations on bringing dried meat (in this case kangaroo) into China.

It is something a few friends of mine would like to try - but I don't want to have customs troubles!

Anyone have any specific information?

Thanks

Troy

Hi,

Thanks.

Sold in China? Are you sure? That is the first thing my friends an I tried to do - find out if it was possible to buy in China (since this would be the easier option).

According to what we discovered it is only legal to sell it as pet food.

Yes, I know, just because it is only regulated as pet food does not mean it is not sold somewhere. Do you know if it can be brought in Nanjing?

Troy

If you're just talking about the dried up Kangaroo meat that you can buy in most gift shops in Australian airports, then yes, you can bring it in without any trouble - or at least I've never had any trouble bringing it in as a gift for people.

Not sure about Nanjing, but according to this article it is / was sold in a shop in SOHO, Beijing.

这是一家专营澳大利亚和新西兰纯进口货品的店,店面以白色装饰和环形排列,这里出售超过300种的进口货品。除了大家首先想到的澳大利亚保健品、红酒、玩偶、袋鼠肉干、袋鼠皮、鳄鱼肉干等等,还有新西兰的乳制品和蜂蜜等。

Pretty sure there aren't even any regulations on this, and if there are they aren't enforced - I'd bring it in without a second thought. There's nothing like the warnings and checks you get in Australia.