Chinese-Forums

East China Normal University

zaydxpres

Thanks Tantara. I am just reading blogs and other articles on Shanghai and got few unrelated questions. First the Fall semester end on 12th January and I wonder if one semester CIS students can stay longer in their dormitory or if they have to leave just after the closing ceremony. After all the next batch of students does not arrive before the end of February and the visa is up to 180 days.

Second, I red that Shanghai flats are usually not heated! How was the dormitory in Winter?

@pho I think, you will have 2-3 days after the closing ceremony and then you also can stay (dormitory doesn’t close as at summer), but in that case you need to pay for your accommodation (I don’t know how many days one semester stipend covers).

It’s true. In winter time air conditioner, oil heater, electric heated bed sheet, jacket, pullover etc. are your best friends. I have never lived in dormitory at winter. When I came to Shanghai it was almost spring, at that time I turned on air conditioner and wore a pullover.

There were no lockers in the room. I had some cash, but other money was on card that I didn’t leave in the room. Passport and laptop were always in room. I have never heard that somebody’s PC, passport or money was stolen.

I looked at my admission notice and it says that I got the CIS until 31 Jan 2017 so I can probably keep the room and had it paid until that date at least. For February, I certainly need to pay it myself.

I red that it is quite easy to give English lessons and that you can make some good money. Any experience on that side?

I am surprised by the Spring Semester: it is only 4 months (March to June), even shorter than the Fall one! Was it the case for you when you were there?

Regarding the heating, this  North-South divide sounds crazy! How much cost a oil heater and can you use one in your room at the dormitory (is it not forbidden because they use a lot of electricity and might blow fuses)?

@pho I don’t have such experience.

Spring semester is the same as Autumn’s, your lessons begin on 12 September 2016 and end on 13 January 2017. Also at Autumn semester there are more National holidays than at Spring’s.

As I said before, I have never lived in dormitory at winter. Oil heater is prohibited in Chinese dormitories, maybe in other dorms too, I don’t know. When I live in my dorm I don’t need to pay for electricity, water and internet at all.

• New Members

Hi all,

Just wanted to share that I will also be attending ECNU, but I'll be doing the Master's program for teaching chinese to speakers of other languages. All the information on here has been very helpful. Also, have any of you experienced issues with applying for insurance? The website is horrible and won't load. I'm still waiting on the university to reply on how to move forward. :(

Yes you are right, I forgot about the mid September start of the Fall semester.

One question about the passport. I suppose it is fine to let it in the room when you are on the campus. However, did you always had it with you when you were in town or was it fine to just had a paper copy of it?

@sholeey If you mean Chinese insurance, don’t bother. When you register at the university, they help you to get one.

@pho Yes, I always had it with me when was in city (and receipt that I paid for accommodation too). You can also have only a paper copy with you.

@sholeey 汉语分班考试 includes 口试 (read text, answer some questions, have a small talk with teacher) and 笔试 (just a test with a lot of questions: write 汉字, build sentences, answer questions, chose a correct answer etc.). So I recommend you to repeat what you already know.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi everyone. I'm planning to enroll in MTCSOL for this September at ECNU under Confucius Scholarship or CSC. My local CI is recommending me but I'm thinking of applying for CSC directly through ECNU as well. Also, I'd like to know how the MTCSOL course is like, how are classes, teachers and exams? How are the dorms and international community these days? I actually have a Bachelor in Engineering (taught in Chinese), and passed HSK 6 and HSKK Advanced. So I'm doing my best to improve my Chinese and better prepare myself. I'm also wondering if one preparatory year would be beneficial and if ECNU has advanced Chinese classes. I'm also considering Xiamen University so that's why I need more information to compare, hope you can guide me a bit. Thanks.

• New Members

@Sharon_Too

I'm just gunna get straight to the point here. If you're looking to improve your Chinese or become a Chinese teacher, then this program may not be for you. The professors don't really care about the international students and all they talk about is promoting Chinese language and culture. This semesters classes include, 语言学(Ok), 导论课(useless nonsense),文化传播(useless),高级汉语(horrible teacher, admits he doesn't know the answers himself),文化比较(very basic and useless). We don't have a 口语课, but because the students got together and complained they organized one for us next semester. Dorms are manageable. Dorm #1 or the international service center are best. Mainly just hangout with classmates, this year we have students from 14 different countries.

• Like 1

被泼上一盆冷水了...

Okay, let me digest all that.

May I know if that's the general impression of all your classmates as well? I know bad teachers can ruin a whole course and some courses can be really boring but it has to be in the 培养方案 for some reason. I do want to pursue a career in teaching Chinese, not just to improve my Chinese level although it will surely happen in the process. By the way, in which year are you in? I wonder if you have Chinese classmates and how they fare off? How about the Chinese level of other foreigners? Are there any on CSC or CI?

If the course is really that bad, I guess I'll opt for Xiamen Uni and Sun Yat Sen Uni then.

Thanks for the information anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm planning to apply for the Intensive Chinese Language Program and am trying to apply online but I noticed that the options I wanted, which is Fall 2017 to Spring 2018, is not in the option. I've been trying to contact the school via email but I'm not getting any replies. Is this normal? Also, when should we actually start applying? I'm scared to not get a dorm. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I asked through their Online Consultation and finally got a reply. I've also applied online and just informed the school via email that I'm going to need to have them change the study period. Also done with paying the Application Fee. Just waiting for their reply. It seems like they don't want to reply to my emails, hahaha! :lol:

• Like 3