Chinese-Forums

Andy Lau

roddy

Is Andy Lau actually any good? I've seen some great films with him in (Well, I thought they were good), but he also seems to have made a lot of rubbish.

Is he like the UK's Michael Caine, who's made so many movies that the law of averages means he has to have made some good ones?

Roddy

• 1 year later...

I loved the that's beijing movie section for november. They have a listing of movies to watch where Andy bites the dust. :tong Is it for andy lau lovers or haters, I can't tell.

I wouldn't compare him to michael caine though. Caine has had a long career and has received many rewards and been knighted and stuff. Andy lau would have to keep doing this movie thing for another 30 years before you could start comparing them.

I think Andy Lau is more like Brad Pitt -- sexy and cool.

But he is also very typically a southern Chinese guy -- short and slim.

I guess most Chinese girls born north of Yangtze are taller than Lau :D

Like Brad Pitt (or Michael Caine) on this aspect, Lau can be either a good guy or a bad guy in the movie.

In fact, I recall Lau had been more often as pimp or gambler than as cop in the movies.

Lau had made a lot of lousy movies in the mid-'80s when he was "frozen" by TVB. In a couple years' time, Lau made dozen movies back then.

But lately his movies had won more acclaims. I prefer his comedies made in recent years with Sammi Cheng together.

But is Lau's acting real good? In some of his best movies like "Infernal Affairs", he was overshadowed by the other male actors in the movie.

Andy Lau is really popular in China but after watching a few of his movies(the last one i watched was Yesterday Once more, starring Andy Lau and Sammi Cheng) , I think that he acts 'okay' but doesn't leave any strong impression on me.

I much prefer his songs to his movies.

My friend told me that in China, the 4 most popular male actors or singers are Andy Lau, 張學友,Aaron Kwok and Leon Lai.

My hatred for Andy Lau burns with the intensity of a thousand suns. The only time I can bare to watch a movie that stars him is when he is cast as the metrosexual, lightweight, wooden girly man that he is. He was perfect for his role in Infernal Affairs, just as Tony Leung was perfect for Ren's good guy role. Now Tony Leung is a real actor. If I had been the director of Infernal Affairs, I would have ruined the ending of the movie. Just to satisfy myself, I'd have changed the story so that Tony Leung could have put two taps in Andy Lau's forehead, even if it would have made the ending too predictable.

It's not fair to Michael Caine to compare him with Andy Lau. It seems Lau never goes anywhere without a thick coat of makeup. My wife used to be a flight attendant for Cathay. She served Tony Leung twice on long-haul flights in first class. She said that all the flight attendants aboard agreed that Tony Leung was just as hot when the plane landed in Heathrow as when it took off from HK. I doubt the same could be said of Andy Lau. The guy's around 40 and still trying to look like he's 22.

If I had been the director of Infernal Affairs, I would have ruined the ending of the movie. Just to satisfy myself, I'd have changed the story so that Tony Leung could have put two taps in Andy Lau's forehead, even if it would have made the ending too predictable.

You must have seen the HK version only. There are at least 5 different endings:

http://www.chinese-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=2924

The guy's around 40 and still trying to look like he's 22.

Actually that is a universal phenomenon -- older mature actors are hot.

If you count who is hot in HK, amazingly you find out almost every actor is in their middle age.

Chow Yun Fat -- 49

Jackie Chan -- 50

Andy Lau, Jackie Cheung, Tony Leung -- all in their late 30s or early 40s

And of course the most weird is Alan Tam who is 52 and still dye his hair gold color to dance hip hop.

And unlike Tam who always claims to be only 29 years old, Lau never hides his actual age.

Well, Hong Kong is still less awkward than in Hollywood production which Jack Nicholason kissed Helen Hunt who can be his granddaughter!

Anyway, the audience worldwide love mature guys!