Chinese-Forums

Hutong School

Tennessee

I just wanted to see if anyone has studied at or known people who studied at the Hutong school in Beijing. I'll be attending starting in October and I've heard mostly great things about them, but nothing concrete and from unbiased sources. Can anyone help me out?

The last three interns we had at the place I currently work got housing and Chinese classes from the Hutong School, in addition to Chinese cultural activities (Wall climbing, Chinese knotting, calligraphy, stuff like that) and friends. There's a reason we keep recommending it to interns: I heard nothing but good things about the place.

From what I understand, they will pick you up at the airport, take you through all the formalities of applying for permits at the police etc, bring you to your room, get you a phone card, organise Chinese classes for you (and also HSK exams if you wish to take it, I think), provide a place to meet other students, and probably more.

Any information in particular you need? I could ask the current intern, or perhaps if you ask the school they could give you contact details of someone currently or recently studying there.

• 3 years later...

Hey, 

just wondering if you guys have any updates about Hutong School. If you could share your experience that would be amazing as I am planning to go early in 2015 for 3-6 months. I barely know any Mandarin but I can get by conversationally in Cantonese as I am born Chinese. This is why I need private lessons as opposed to a university where I would get less teacher attention as I am sure my learning pace will be much quicker. 

I have narrowed my school selection down to Hutong, LTL, CLE, and if I have to; Tsinghua or BLCU. I'm a little more interested in Hutong purely for location as it is full of culture that I would like to embrace, much of 'old beijing'..However it is also up there is costs, which is why it is important, if anyone is willing - to hear about any home stay or shared apartment experiences if there are any on this forum. 

Also if there is anyone looking for flatmates let me know and/or if you want to just meet up for a drink in sanlitun, add me on WeChat: Bdub89 (always trying to expand my network, especially before I arrive in the city!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...