Chinese-Forums

Christmas Card

Claw

I would like to write a Christmas card in Chinese to my parents this year, but don't particularly know how to go about it. What do people typically write in a Christmas card (other than 聖誕快樂)? What is the proper format for writing such a card? I will also be attaching a gift with this card, so should I make a reference to the gift in the card?

Flora: Thank you for your contribution!

So after looking through a book on how to write letters in Chinese and finding some online samples, I have come up with the following. Can anyone please take a look at it and tell me if there's anything that needs improvement?

親愛的爸爸媽媽:

值此佳節,感謝您們所給予的一切。在這個美麗的聖誕節裏,願您們擁有所有的祝福。

我送給您們一份禮物,希望您們會喜歡。祝我最親愛的父母節日愉快,永遠平安及幸福,身體健康,好運吉祥!寄上無限的思念及最美好的祝願。

祝

聖誕快樂,新年快樂!

兒子 啟迪上

2004年12月21日

Thanks!

Hi Claw,

Your version is good. The best way is to write them what you think. Such as how much you love them and miss them. And most Chinese parents would like to learn how their kids are doing. You can tell them something about yourself sharing happiness except sadness with them. Also if you had a wife or kids, it would be good to attach their greetings to your parents.

If it is not a formal card, I mean, just to my parents or very close friends, I would create a more vivid way.

Hope this helps.

Flora

亲爱的爸爸、妈妈:

你们好吗?我在西雅圖一切都好,请勿念。又一个美丽的圣诞节即将来临,每逢佳节倍思亲,我是多么希望能够在圣诞节陪伴在你们的身旁,和你们一起共度这快乐的时光。

雪花飞扬,铃声叮当,愿它们带你们我所有的思念及祝福。

((((((((((((((((((((((((((拥抱你们)))))))))))))))))))))))))))

包裹里是我送给你们的圣诞礼物,猜猜是什么?哈!希望你们能喜欢哦。

圣诞及新年快乐!

儿子:启迪

2004年12月22日

:clap:clap:clap

P.S Is it snow there? If no, change any word pls.

IMHO it is best to remove "好運吉祥" as it sounds inconsistent with the warm tone of the message.

But you may consider replacing it with 心想事成 (if the message is for Chinese New Year then it would be very safe to use 如意吉祥).

Thanks for all your suggestions. I think I'll just go with a modified version of what I originally posted. I want the tone to be warm and heartfelt, but not too informal.

BTW, while I'm at it, I'd like to put in a plug for the book, Developing Writing Skills in Chinese, which I have found extremely helpful in writing this letter. :D I highly recommend this book.

P.S Is it snow there? If no, change any word pls.

Actually it hardly ever snows in Seattle. The weather is really temperate here... not too cold in the winters and not too hot during the summers. That's what I like best about it. However, you do have to deal with the constant dreariness (clouds and rain) during the winter months, but I don't mind it too much.

您們

By the way, it is not a correct expression for the plural form of you in Chinese, 您们,but just only 你们.

And you can say 您 or 你 for the single form of you. 您 is always used to address the elder, superiors, teachers, business partners and the friends who you are not very familar with etc.

你 is a casual addressing which can be used to your pals etc. :roll::roll::roll:

By the way, it is not a correct expression for the plural form of you in Chinese, 您们,but just only 你们.

And you can say 您 or 你 for the single form of you. 您 is always used to address the elder, superiors, teachers, business partners and the friends who you are not very familar with etc.

But my parents are my elders too, right? 您 can never exist in the plural form?

Not everything searched by google is correct, is it?

It seems that 您们 would be more polite than 你们 in expression.

But 您们 is NOT correct actually. It is misused even by many native Chinese speakers also.

Please go to Chinese dictionary for the usage of it. :roll::roll::roll: