Chinese-Forums

Book of practice papers for New HSK Level 4

JenniferW

I'm in the UK, and this year I took the New HSK Level 4 - and passed (just). As part of the preparation for this I used a book of practice papers (published by Beijing Language and Culture University) when I did some classes in Beijing. There are 10 practice papers in the book and I only did the first two - the rest of the book is unmarked, unused. Would anyone like it? I thought the practice papers were spot on as regards what the actual exam was then like. I'd happily mail it to an address inside the UK

• Like 2

Congratulations for passing. Was it actually a difficult exam? or which of the sections were most challengeing? When listening to the ting li, it seems they use a lot of colloquial expressions which it sounds like you can guess if you dont know them.

In this exam, like the ones I'd done before, I got the highest score for listening - and I rarely do any listening skills development work! I think several years living in China where I had to use Chinese just to do ordinary everyday things means I've learnt how to work out the meaning of something even when there's a lot of vocabulary I don't know. Also, I'd done several weeks of classes in Beijing where we did quite a bit of listening test practice, and I really think that sharpened me up on this. My reading score was middling, and my writing score the lowest. I could do the writing tasks, but not at the speed you have to do them in the exam - I take too long thinking about what I could write!

• Like 1