Chinese-Forums

Forums Logo

roddy

If someone wants to buy me the Cf.com domain name I'll encourage referring to the site as CF.

Edit: Sorry, it does look good - but I don't see any need to have an abbreviation when the name of the site is going to be right up there.

Really wouldn't encourage anyone to put time into logos unless they're doing it for their own amusement - I'm waiting on a couple of quotes from actual logo designers, we'll see what happens.

To bunny87 on F54,

google's translation --> This is a bit too 'corruption' it, our forum is to eat, drink is 'Jiunangfandai' of the generation it?

Hi bunny, sorry to reply you late and make you confused util now for my post :oops: .

Actually, my post there is just a joking way for your design idea, don't be serious~

However, for your question, I would like to try my best to share this word to you.

'酒 囊 饭 袋'

jiǔ náng fàn dài

酒- general name of alcoholic drinks; 囊-a big and soft package/container to hold 酒(wine, beer, etc.)

饭 - general name of food/meal; 袋 - a big and soft pocket/bag to hold 饭

literal meaning of this word is sth is container of wine and bag of meal as well.

this is a idiom word from old China(back to Dynasty Han - 2200 years ago), it is used to describe people who is not good at anything but eating and drinking(be incompetent at all aspect), strongly negative word.

extending knowledge, in Chinese, if you say somebody can only '吃吃喝喝' or some place are often/mainly used for '吃吃喝喝 ', which is more likely to reflect people/place is useless, unaccomplished.

Another word I used '腐败', as you got, means 'corruption' - a negative noun , but in Chinese internet society and forums nowadays, one popular way to use it as a positive verb(I'm sure you can not find the way use it like this from any dictionary). people use it to express 'go somewhere for fun and relax, which mostly need you to take money on consuming, eating and drinking and entertaining'

sample: 今天周五了,晚上让我们一起去什刹海‘腐败’一下吧 :mrgreen:

• Like 1

Really wouldn't encourage anyone to put time into logos unless they're doing it for their own amusement

Hi Roddy, these posted ideas and 'artworks' are just reflecting how people love the forums, right? :D

people like me would like to contribute one part of effort for its growing and hope it will be better and better~ I'm earning to see logo from professional designers.

• Like 1

@laojian - your grammar/culture explanations are awesome. i'll be adding both 酒 囊 饭 袋 and 'corruption' to my pleco flashcards soon as i finish fixing my iphone. i always love learning new insults :)

and, to merge it with that 'looking for a girlfriend' post, perhaps it can be - love. study. corruption.

and it's still morning so i'm too lazy to go back and ready 3 other pages, but i know we were all on board with using yan言. what about the attached pictures as a logo? (or basis for a logo?)

i removed roddy's signature logo from it too.

edit: oops, i forgot the little dash in the first logo. but you get the idea.

post-36722-0-71050300-1314111325_thumb.jpg

post-36722-0-95486900-1314111333_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

They told me nobody would understand it. :tong

Which one would no one understand? If it's the 言中, I agree with them.

Otherwise, as my cutest of friends said in a totally out of character moment...

拿刀砍他们

EDIT: OK I just realised that I must have subconsciously ripped this idea off from http://www.yellowbridge.com/chinese/... never mind, then :P

You tried having the speech bubble inside the 中, what about having the 中 (or whatever character you choose) inside the speech bubble? Something like this:

xeijys.png

(Only a rough mockup.)

They told me nobody would understand it. :tong

Roddy, Is there any update by now~? If they deny your idea, suppose they should come up a better one, let's wait and see...

@ bunny87

hehe, you are indeed smart, comprehend quickly, looks much more interesting~ bump

• 7 months later...

It's important to me to counterbalance the following complaint with praise. So, here goes....

This website is a boon to anybody studying Chinese language or culture. I don't know that Roddy and the admins get the praise they deserve, but to my mind chinese-forums.com is manna straight from heaven. So thank you guys for your tireless work. I've asked marriage questions here, and have since become happily married. I've asked Chinese questions here, and my Chinese has improved from virtually no skill at all to a strong intermediate level. I currently enjoy life in China in no small thanks to you.

That said. The logo is still ugly. Ugly, ugly. Ugly font, ugly design, ugly disembodied light source from nowhere. Complaining doesn't come naturally to me, but I want to reassure you guys, a website this helpful doesn't deserve a logo this ugly. Alas, I'm a musician by profession, and can only notice the problem without the skills to solve it. Except that I could solve it, because 5 minutes of PS could create something better than the current abortion we see at the top of every page.

I love you guys.

• Like 1