Chinese-Forums

where to order "fresh" Asian noodles for pan-fried dishes"

jacksono

I'm living in "Boondock", USA, and can't find "FRESH" Asian noodles (for making pan-fried chow mein dishes) anywhere locally. I can find these in large cities, packaged and refrigerated, but not locally. I can't even seem to find them in Google search- there are lots of dried noodles on-line, but not the fresh which don't need to be boiled - the ones I'm looking for just need to be taken out of package, rinsed in warm water to separate, and then tossed in pan for frying. I usually will buy maybe 10 packages at a time and freeze them. Please email me if you know where I can order these. thanks! (oreilly.jackson@gmail.com)

Or better yet, post, so other people can know too.

I miss the noodles in Hong Kong. You can go to the cheapest, smallest 运顿面 restaurant you can find, be very afraid of what the 运顿 actually contain, but the noodles will blow away 99% of the Chinese restaurants in the USA.

Is that the same as 馄饨面?

Yes, although I should have typed 云吞(雲吞). I was pretty far off. I think that is Cantonese term.

I don't see how your reply has anything to do with my post.

What, I can't commiserate with you about the sorry state of Chinese noodles without being flamed? Sheeeez.

Angel hair won't do - I can always buy dried Chinese noodles and boil them, strain, and then pan fry; however, the point is that I'd like to skip those steps because I'm lazy, for one, and by the time I've followed Irene's complex recipes I don't have enough room on my stove for another pot, and/or I have too many other things going on at once(!)

What, I can't commiserate with you about the sorry state of Chinese noodles without being flamed? Sheeeez.

I simply believe your topic is different enough from mine that you need to start a new topic, as it has nothing to do with my quest - you're not anybody's victim.

a 'long-term' solution may be to bring in the wrappers/packaging of the brands of 'chow-mein' that you like to some of the big grocery chains where you live, and ask them if they will consider bringing in more Asian items such as these. It may be worth a try.

a 'long-term' solution may be to bring in the wrappers/packaging of the brands of 'chow-mein' that you like to some of the big grocery chains where you live, and ask them if they will consider bringing in more Asian items such as these. It may be worth a try.

yes that's a good idea and I was going to do that thinking I had one more package in my freezer, which I didn't. But next time. Hannaford's, a large grocery chain, used to carry the item and stopped, and that chain has never honored requests to bring in items I"ve wanted in the past. There are 3 other chains here though I could try. thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Buy a pasta machine and make some yourself - or, make everything by hand. Make a dough with water, flour and perhaps a little bit of salt. Use less water than making a pizza dough. The dough should be hard. Roll it out as thin as you can. Then cut into thin stripes.