Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

• Why you should look around

Since 2003, Chinese-forums.com has been helping people learn Chinese faster and get to China sooner. Our members can recommend beginner textbooks, help you out with obscure classical vocabulary, and tell you where to get the best street food in Xi'an. And we're friendly about it too. 

Have a look at what's going on, or search for something specific. We hope you'll join us. 
jkhsu

Is Learning Chinese a Bubble?

carlo

I wonder if perhaps the comparison is between US hospitals and international hospitals in China

I admit my direct knowledge of private clinics in China is somewhat out of date. But I still see wealthy mainlanders fly to HK, Taiwan or the US for anything serious...

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

Dawei3

A short course on drugs in China:  Some drugs can be purchased at very very cheaply.  However, there is no way to know whether they are counterfeit and/or of poor quality.  Even expensive drugs may be counterfeit.  Quality of medical care varies greatly.    

For those wishing details....

China has multiple drug lists.  The "Essential Drug List" are drugs meant to treat 65% of the common medical conditions at a very low price.  Initially, the central government determines the drugs on the EDL and their price.  These are the drugs that are virtually free.  

Each province then negotiates the price of each drug for its province.  Each province adds drugs to their formulary (virtually always because the drug is produced locally, not because it is needed).  Usually the low bidder wins. 

The problem with this is that often the winner of the bid lacks the capacity to meet the demand or may make drugs of poor quality.  They have little incentive to make good quality drugs because they control the market in their province.  The local population has no choice; if the drug isn't available, they have to find somewhere to get it.  Whether the drug is of good or poor quality is usually not known by the consumer.  On top of the above problem, counterfeit drugs are common.  

There are multiple other drug lists with varying levels of reimbursement (and this post would be way too long to cover them....).  

In regards to Chinese medical services, it usually takes just 6 years of school to get an MD in China, including college.  Most doctors learn about both Chinese & Western medicine.  As a result, the time spent learning Western medicine is tiny compared to that of a Western-trained doctor.  Also, Chinese medicine beliefs often conflict completely with Western Medicine, so learning can be very fractured.   

About 70% of drugs in China are sold by hospitals and hospitals get about 40% of their revenue from selling drugs.  There has been a push to reduce over prescribing of drugs.  However, doctors would lose much of their income and hospitals couldn't likely function without the revenue from (unneeded) drugs.  Hence, when you are prescribed a drug in China, there is a good chance you don't need it. 

On top of this, for higher level medical procedures, doctor expect patients to give them tips 红包.  

3 hours ago, carlo said:

ut I still see wealthy mainlanders fly to HK, Taiwan or the US

Hence, you can get medical care in China at a cheap price.  However, there is much more uncertainty about the quality.  Hence, as Carlo notes, Chinese that can afford it often fly elsewhere to get treatment (and to get their drugs & vaccines).  

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Meng Lelan

I don't think I would retire to China for the medical care. I'd retire to Canada for the medical care. Thankfully I dumped Chinese for French a long time ago so I'm set. 

abcdefg
On 5/18/2019 at 5:28 AM, Meng Lelan said:

Thankfully I dumped Chinese for French a long time ago so I'm set. 

Really? 请问一下,Why did you do that? I remember when you were very gung ho for Chinese.

Meng Lelan

Just read over some threads back in 2014 to 2015, you'll know why. 

abcdefg
10 hours ago, Meng Lelan said:

Just read over some threads back in 2014 to 2015, you'll know why. 

I remember grumblings about school administrators you disliked. Not willing to plow through two years of old posts; that would take hours or days. 

Meng Lelan

There's grumblings about the ChunWan show too that would be far more enlightening. 

Yadang
4 hours ago, Meng Lelan said:

There's grumblings about the ChunWan show too that would be far more enlightening.

Like this and this?

• Helpful 1

hy

I was forced to pick up Chinese as a South-East Asian kid. I am fluent in mandarin and cantonese. Used to detest learning Chinese.

As a person not residing in China, I don't think learning Chinese is a "bubble". I think it could be self-deceiving to think of learning any language as a bubble... because you might actually be in a bubble.

• Like 2