5 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer

• Dumplings, dumplings dumplings
    • Vegetarian restaurant that everyone loves but that I haven't been to
    • The Guangxi place
    • The Yunnan place
    • 锦里小馆
    • KFC

No Roddy, not yet. I'm not going to Beijing until mid November. I'll be busy for three days (SAP TechEd conference) of the 6 I'll be there, but I think I only get lunch at this conference, so have 6 meals to prepare for. Yumm!

I'm just back from a short holiday to Spain, so am currently refreshed and the lack of any decent food here in Switzerland will take another day or two to start making me drool over the thought of my usual Beijing staples (jiaozi, baozi and jianbing).

Must have eaten there at least every few months for years, and never had a bad meal. Nice staff too, although the last few times they had new people in and weren't quite so efficient. Even if you're not keen on the fake meat stuff (and to be honest, if this place doesn't cure any lasting tofu prejudices you may have, nothing will) there are plenty of excellent vegetable dishes to enjoy. Best soup in Beijing as well, the 南瓜羹.

If anyone goes there and finds it's gone downhill, I don't want to know about it. I'll keep my memories, thanks.

• Like 1

I don't care where you choose; I find that as long as 2-3 dishes out of the bunch have veggies (I do not like mock meat, blech) I will be fine. :-) So I will go wherever you want, just tell me where to meet up! 7pm still?

Oh, but I do suggest Mao Mao Chong for drinks... mmmmmm

Yeah, I'm not a fan of mock-meat either. Dumplings has the most votes and as there's not much time to decide and I'm going to be out and about all day so I reckon that's the winner. I've been to that place before and it's also good. So, lets say 7pm at the dumpling place then. I'll send you all my mobile number once I get one.

If anyone is going and needs directions - it's on 安定门内大街. Either head north from the 交道口 crossroads (where the Lenovo shop is) and it's on the right side of the road, or south from 安定门 and it's on the left. It's nearer 交道口. Look for the sign sticking out over the pavement.

For drinks - Maomaochong's great. I might opt for the roof at Alba if it's a nice evening though. No shortage of options around there, anyway. Enjoy yourselves.

(I do not like mock meat, blech)

Yeah, I'm not a fan of mock-meat either.

Not even lovingly-prepared, beautifully-presented, delicious mock meat? At a cosy, well-lit and clean restaurant that is loved by literally everyone I know who has gone there - including myself, Daan, adrianlondon and gougou, happy carnivores to a man? Then I shall say no more on the matter. There are many other excellent restaurants in Beijing, after all.

Anyway, the dumpling place - extra dishes I'd recommend might be the 蒜泥茄子 (or something like that) and the 麻豆腐. Oh, and get the 特色土豆泥 - for comedy value only though, you're not going to want to eat it.

• Like 2

Man I have a killer headache and can't remember much. What was that stuff you put in my drink called again Imron? Rufus something or other?

I shall be with you in spirit.

Now that I know what that means, feel free to be with me in spirit whenever you want.

• Like 1

I had a great time meeting some people off the forums. :) Thanks for suggesting that place, too - I'd heard of it but never tried. It was indeed yummy (esp that eggplant dish!), but from a vegetarian's perspective I think the meatless dumplings are better at that place on Maizijian lu near Chaoyang park.... you know, that popular one I can never remember the name of....