Chinese-Forums

Looking For Someone In Chengdu

Steve_E

• New Members

We had an exchange student back in 2004 named Chen Baichuan. We have been trying to keep in contact with him ever since he left. We were doing quite well at this until the horrific Earthquake that leveled most of the area. Our great fear is that he and his family may have been lost in this tragedy. But we hold out hope that they are fine and he has simply lost our address. Or something to that effect.

A friend of mine suggested I try forums to see if there would be anyone currently living or have recently lived in Chengdu that could help us find our "son". Please feel free to contact me via this forum/topic and we will be most grateful for anything anyone of you can or may do.

His last known address was in this area

Wuhouci St

Chengdu, Sichuan 610041

Steve and Tina Estrada

(Note the picture added was taken in 2004)

post-44866-0-41494900-1314141085_thumb.jpg

Is that all the information you have? Going to be tough. Can't see the police being interested. I reckon your best bet would be posting on Chinese-language Chengdu forums - get a bit of an Internet man hunt going. If you've got any other info - even a school he went to - that might help.

• New Members

Thank you for your concern and suggestions thus far. Let me say we have tried everything up to this far. We have tried to find him ever since the Earthquake to no avail so far. I was a little worried about what I should post on here as far as information. I was kind of hoping for that one miracle that happens once in a while where someone goes "HEY I KNOW THAT KID!". Kind of silly I guess but we will never give up hope.

Steve & Tina

Don't really see how this is a tough call. Don't know how it works in China, but with an address I'ld expect it shouldn't be to hard to find some registrations. Or, just sent someone to the address to inquire. Housenumber might be handy though. I assume you have it!?

I think, even without a housenumber, that if you're really wiling to put in the money/effort it shouldn't be too hard. You have to find someone local to check records and/or ask around though. Also the red cross and other aid organisations may have some info on victims, lost and found people.

The earthquake epicenter was about 100 miles away from Chengdu. Chengdu itself was only lightly damaged by the earthquake. If his family were in Chengdu at the time of the quake, they would have been fine. You might want to try to contact his school via the exchange program that set up the home stay. Or you could try to make inquiries at the local police department. If they were residents of Chengdu, the local police department would have their residential registration.

• Like 1

Assuming you were students, if you know how to write his name in China I'd try www.renren.com

Search by name, school, course of study, birthday if you have that.

That's where I'd start.

How were you keeping in contact? There are "ways" of locating people.

I found a friend once through some not so easy work.

I used an old phone number and took it to China Mobile, where I found out that I make too many assumptions and then went to unicom.

I told them the phone number, which they argued about privacy over. I then said I have both the number and the name, just show me how to write it.

They agreed to that argument.

I took this information to renren.com and... failed.

I went to her school with her name and when to the officer for her course of study and after a few phone calls in circles... Success!

It may be harder from outside China, but consider all the people that both of you know.

Any information you have including emails, old phone numbers, maybe a QQ number you were given but never used, the school, the course.

Put it all together and maybe you'll have just enough.

How did you communicate up till now?

I agree with Gato. If this boy was in Chengdu, chances are the earthquake didn't harm him or his family. I'd suggest to try through his school or the exchange program, but I suppose you already did that.

It could be that you just fell out of touch. That would be a pity, but seven years is a long time, people often just stop keeping in touch. Could be that he went to university and had other things on his mind.