Chinese-Forums

藕粉/Lotus paste Drink?

anni_18

• New Members

I bought a packet of powder that my friend said was a kind of drink. It sounded really interesting and I wanted to try it. It is made from lotus starch and the drink it made came out very thick, like a gel. Could anyone tell me more about the traditional consumption of this kind of beverage? Can it be used for anything else?

Can it be used for anything else?

Maybe you can use it as "glue".... Don't take it seriously, i am joking.

Lotus paste tastes smooth and sweet.

Another traditional beverage is "芝麻糊" (Sesame paste), which is one of my favorite beverage in my childhood.

• Like 2

I'm not sure exactly what type you have, but in a lot of cases those packets are intended not as much as a drink, but rather as a sweet dessert soup, often eaten after a meal, in a soup bowl and with a spoon. Hence very thick. If you like those, in addition to "芝麻糊", you can also find a sweet red bean one.

• Like 1

芝麻糊、杏仁糊、花生糊、花生汤、(绿)豆爽. . .we have a bunch of these sweet paste/soup-type desserts here in Singapore. Tasty stuff.

Also, 杨枝甘露 is a perennial favourite, and many other cold soup-type desserts are popular.

• 2 months later...

The way I've always eaten it is to add some sugar and eat it like that. What it is is actually starch like corn starch.

芝麻糊 and others are different than what you are saying as lotus starch has other applications.

Another way to use it is in cooking where I would add it to 红豆汤 or 八宝粥 and you would use it like a thickener. A lot of times, the soups are thickened with some form of starch although most would use corn starch because it is cheaper. However, if your doing it at home, lotus starch is healthier so you could use it that way.

• 7 months later...