Chinese-Forums

Red Beans

Bob Dylan Thomas

Can anyone please tell me: are "hong2dou4" Kidney Beans or Aduki Beans? (aka Adzuki). Or neither?

This is critical to my forthcoming publication, "An Insight into the Lyrics of Wang Fei".

(If anyone replies with a definition in Chinese, please could you write in pinyin with tones too, i can't read characters on this computer, thanks).

Can anyone please tell me: are "hong2dou4" Kidney Beans or Aduki Beans? (aka Adzuki). Or neither?

Hong2 Dou4 are definitely not Kidney Beans. I believe they are Azuki Beans. I found a picture here:

http://chinesefood.miningco.com/library/blphotoadzuki.htm

What's shown in the picture are Chinese Hong2 Dou4.

The 'red bean' in "An Insight into the Lyrics of Wang Fei" should be jequirity bean, it's not used for food, but a love token. Wang wei, Tang's poet, wrote a poem:

相思

王维

红豆生南国,

春来发几枝?

愿君多采撷,

此物最相思。

• 8 months later...

Adzuki bean is the Japanese way of calling bean, and in Chinese it is Hong Dou, which literally means red bean. I work in a health food store in UK, and the Adzuki bean we sell is definitely the red bean I have at home (I'm a Chinese).

At the mention of the red bean poem, there is also another poem featured in a Chinese classic novel. Found an adzuki bean website that has both the Chinese and English version (well won't say it's extremely well translated, but close enough), and quite a bit of info on the bean too:

http://www.knowingfood.com/lovebean.html