Chinese-Forums

《平凡的世界》- Highly Recommended Reading

imron

There are moments like that, and there are some really sad and poignant parts of the book, but ultimately I got a sense of optimism from the story, a sense that life was (slowly) getting better for people - or at least for those people who made an effort - even though that change might require generations to really come to fruition.

Thanks for the suggestion -- I might try it out. Took a look at the first page, didn't seem too bad.

OOOH! Just noticed a new feature of the new forum software. If you try to add a reply, but you're not at the last page, a little "+1" appears in the reply box and it doesn't let you type text. I like it!

My wife noticed me reading the pdf on my computer, and I asked her if she'd read it, and she said "Yes, it is on the shelf right there!" :shock::wall

And there it was, in a section of Chinese novels that I'd never really looked at before . . .

It is kind of exciting though, to know that my reading has progressed to the level where I can actually enjoy Chinese literature! And reading the paper version is a much nicer experience than scrolling through a pdf.

• Like 3

reading the paper version is a much nicer experience than scrolling through a pdf.

And I can stuff it into my bag and pull it out to while away a wait time or a meeting.

Funny about your wife having that book on the bookshelf already. Maybe you can send us a list of all the titles you find on that shelf and we analyze what we should be reading.

I think I understand what you mean. I used to have problems with reading pdf on my old phone/handheld (as the page was too big and the screen too small). But the software that comes with my new android phone (it is called Polaris Office and is Korean, not surprisingly) has this lovely built-in reflow feature that takes away the pains of reading pdf. I would be very surprised if your iphone can't do this. And even if it can't, there must be hundreds of free reader apps out there that can do it for you.

I am trying to speed-read Jane Eyre at the moment (I think I will give up soon). I plan to read 平凡的世界 during my October vacation.

And reading the paper version is a much nicer experience than scrolling through a pdf.

Note that the link in post 5 is not a (scanned) pdf, but rather text. In some ways easier to read than a book, as I don't have a pop-up translator for a book.

Note that the link in post 5 is not a (scanned) pdf, but rather text. In some ways easier to read than a book, as I don't have a pop-up translator for a book.

That's cool, I hadn't clicked through to that link. Are you using it with Pleco's document reader?

The PDF that I have is not scanned, so it is very legible, but there are typos throughout (periods instead of commas etc), which started me wondering if anything else had been changed...

I don't have a smart phone, a tablet, or a netbook. Are you shocked? Will you still speak to me after knowing that?

Same here, I don't have any of those, well, an iPhone, but nothing else. I don't even have Pleco anywhere. I guess this gets me kicked off the forums too.

Seems like a forgivable offense . . . !

I just came across a forum dedicated to the book on baidu tieba. Lots of spoilers though . . . even in the topic titles! :tong

I was interested to see it was made into a TV series - anybody seen it? Came out in 1989, but before or after Tiananmen I don't know. EDIT: just took a look at the intro to the first episode - that is some landscape!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...