Chinese-Forums

Chinese Email Provider with IMAP/SMTP that works in Thunderbird

Takeshi

Does such a thing exist? If so, are there detailed instructions to get it working with the latest version of Thunderbird somewhere? (Basically, I need a gmail alternative; I've been too lazy and just kept using gmail these days though.)

I've seen a few things (網易,搜狐) for example that have advertised IMAP/SMTP, but I couldn't get them working in Thunderbird. Maybe I'm just stupid. Has anyone had any success? I should note that I use the English version of Thunderbird, which might cause trouble with conflicts of English names versus Chinese names.

I want to stay away from QQ if possible because I don't plan on using their IM service (unless I can get it working on pidgin; doubt it) and I don't want people to assume my email is related to an IM account that I don't use. (I don't know if that's how it works in China, but back home if you see someone with a @hotmail address you can basically add them on MSN messenger.)

I did a little Baidu'ing and got you some cryptic information. The accuracy I can't give any guarantees on, but it's better than the sum of the 0 replies so far. ;-)

Why is it you don't want to use gmail anymore?

Rumour has it...

http://mail.sina.com.cn/help2/client01.html

新浪免费邮箱发信(smtp)服务器的地址为:smtp.sina.com

新浪免费邮箱收信(pop3)服务器的地址为:pop.sina.com

======

163免费邮

POP3服务器:pop.163.com SMTP服务器:smtp.163.com

126免费邮

POP3服务器:pop.126.com SMTP服务器:smtp.126.com

yeah.net免费邮

POP3服务器:pop.yeah.net SMTP服务器:smtp.yeah.net

=======

大多数免费邮箱都支持,像QQ、163、126、sohu、sina

I've heard that gmail sometimes has sporadic access danger of hacking and stuff. I haven't had much problems, but one mail I thought I sent has confirmed to not be received by the other end so I dunno.

Especially for communications within China I think I might as well get a Chinese email address.

And yea, I've tried those already for those sites. I'm looking not for the name of the servers, but the settings you need in thunderbird or hacks required to get them to work.

(Also I don't want pop but imap. Having said that, in general I've had more problems with getting smtp working than imap, which works fine for a few providers.)

@Garcia: How did you set it up for 網易? I had trouble sending emails.

Gmail users on the mainland have had sporadic issues relating to accounts being hacked and periodic outages. However, to my knowledge neither affect users connecting through an email client and POP/IMAP server. So, you're probably as safe to use Gmail here as you are abroad, if you're using Thunderbird/Outlook/etc.

In my experience, any time that the Gmail site has been blocked (very rare), Thunderbird had no issue connecting to the POP/IMAP server.

Also, any description of hacked Gmail accounts usually refers to a user being redirected to a page which looks like the Google log-in page, but isn't, and having it steal the name/password. My guess is that redirect from Gmail to a fishing page happens due to either a poisoned DNS (not unheard of here) or malware.

However, to my knowledge neither affect users connecting through an email client and POP/IMAP server.

One of the main problems has been passwords being acquired (targeted phishing, I think, or redirects) and then an email redirect set up so that all your mail is copied to hexiewansui@gov.cn. You're still vulnerable to that.

But I think you're on a wild goose chase here as far as hacking is concerned - first, unless you're of some particular interest, nobody wants to read your emails very much. If anyone does, it's going to be someone who knows you and will be able to steal or borrow your laptop, or pop some key-logging software on there or something. Shifting from Gmail isn't going to help. And in the unlikely event that anyone official does want to read your emails, at least with Gmail they'd have to hack in. Chinese providers will run off hard copies and courier them over.

If you want to hedge against a potential block of Gmail, maybe. But I suspect you'll lose in reliability what you gain in unblockability.

• Like 1

I've been using gmail and google apps since I got to China 5 years ago with never a problem.

It seems 163 supports IMAP.

http://mail.163.com/html/110127_imap/

Sohu has this sub-domain, I'll take that as a sign.

http://imap.sogou.com/

Though being fully honest, I'd prefer POP over IMAP any day, it only ever caused me headaches in the past.

Unless you're some sort of activist or anti-government figure I really wounldn't worry about it anyway.

Always make sure that the S can be seen when logging into gmail https://www.gmail.com/ and never ignore certificate warning and you should be fine.

GMail through POP always forces SSL anyway, which should keep you pretty secure.

You're really not going to get much more secure than gmail in my opinion.

You may hear of a few peoples accounts having being hacked, however I've never heard of any of these being by a fault in gmail.

I could at any time hack more than 1,000 peoples email addresses, it's simple and none of it has to do with attacking google.

The flaw is more often with the user than service provider. (Not to say I haven't discovered some pretty big screw ups by very large IT service companies)

If I own a website, like say a forum... you sign up, put in your email and choose a password that is the same as your email password, or secret question and answer the same as your emails', your account is mine.

*** Never use your email password on a forum or any other site ***

I could make a website at an address that looks like gmail.com and when you try to sign in... your email is mine.

http://www.gmail.com.securelogin13.nl <=== example, not real

I could intercept your DNS or modify your hosts file so that when you go to www.gmail.com it will really go to me server instead, but you wont be able to tell be looking at the address. This is where a bad certificate error will appear and if you ignore that message and put in your details... your account is mine.

*** NEVER IGNORE BAD CERTIFICATE WARNINGS if the website content is important ***

If I can get you to run a program on your computer, your email is mine too!

I wouldn't do any of these, but they're quite possible. I used to teach IT Security in a university.

Also take a read of the 10 Immutable Laws of Security.

http://technet.micro...y/cc722487.aspx

You'll be better of considering these facts than trying to choose another email provider if security is your real goal.

In terms of gmail being banned... I can't see it happening, I'd assume there's at least a few high ranking officials using gmail who would be upset.

"Most attacks involve, to one degree or another, some manipulation of human nature—this is usually referred to as social engineering. Raise the cost and difficulty of attacking security technology, and bad guys will respond by shifting their focus away from the technology and toward the human being at the console. It's vital that you understand your role in maintaining solid security, or you could become the chink in your own systems' armor."