Chinese-Forums

Teach Yourself Series

Jakegwood

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0071737278/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0844238546&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=15F3K90343J0Q843C147

Anyone know how this series is? I'd never heard of it before, but I picked it up for Korean, but didn't open it, so just in case it's bad I can return it. If anyone has positive comments on it though, I'll probably get the Chinese one too.

Your choice depends from which level you start to learn. I mean, if you are a freshman and you don't know anything about that language (in your case mandarin and korean) they will be a very good books. They have different "Common" situation so you can improve both vocabulary and grammatic (usually every chapter have few new rules). In addiction, if you like the standard learning methods with lessons, new word, grammatic, dialogue etc. Also if you are not able to make a custom lesson to yourself or you don't have much time to spend in learning, I think this is your book.

I take a look to the teach mandarin one and actually I used it when I started to learn the language.I don't remember on which lesson I stopped, but after that I tried something more "Professional". I founded that sometimes the book uses word and manner that are not so common in the daily life or "Gone out of fashion". After all I recommend this series of book.

Obviously, if you are not a freshman I think it is not a book that may interest you.

Have a nice day :mrgreen: