Chinese-Forums

Chinese Music on Spotify

roddy

This is possibly old news for many, but just in case - Spotify users, there's actually a fair amount of Chinese music on there, searchable and for free (if like me you're a free user, anyway, and perhaps depending on where you are). Just doing a search for 的 brings up, and only picking out the artists I recognize, Stefanie Sun, Xu Wei, Carsick Cars, My Little Airport, 果味VC - it's a bit random, and there's a mix of Chinese, Pinyin and English and . . oooh, New Pants. Modern Sky stuff.

Xu Wei leads you to Dao Lang to Na Ying to hmmm, never mind. But anyway, maybe worth a look.

• Like 1

I actually haven't had much luck searching for music on spotify using Chinese characters. For example, searching for 王菲 finds nearly nothing but searching for Faye Wong finds hundreds of her songs. But yeah Spotify (in Europe anyway as I know licensing laws are different in the US) has quite a lot of Chinese music. They are a little bit behind (They don't seem to have any albums from 2011 yet, but many from 2010 and older). Even a lot of stuff iTunes doesn't have, like Tonick :)

I've always found my Chinese music on mp3.sogou.com. There is actually a fair amount of English songs on there also.

Just type in the name of the song and the artist and you can find most songs. Once you're in the results page, click on the 链接 link to get the popup window with the link to the file. Then just do a save as on the link to the file.

Edit: You should observe the copyright rules for your country.

I heard Spotify is quite popular in Europe, what's it like?

From within China I get my music from Google - music.google.cn which from within China is entirely legal. Wonder if they succeeded in making a dent against Baidu's MP3 section or not. Doubt it, but anyway. Huge database of music from many countries, and about 95% can all be downloaded, mostly in high quality.

• 1 year later...

Having just coughed up for a premium Spotify account, thought I'd bump this - any recommendations for music that's on Spotify? They've got the 万能青年路店s (as the Omnipotent Youth Society)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...