Chinese-Forums

iPad for Studying Chinese

kdavid

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, stupid question:

I'm new to iTunes. I'm trying to download Pleco's flashcard system and look at the dictionaries, but on the Pleco page, I only have the option to download the free software.

I've tried searching for the other add-ons, but can't find them.

What am I missing (aside from half a brain)?

• Like 1

Glad to see you're happy with your Forums-Recommended© purchase!

I'm really enjoying it. It's just that no one here seems to be able to instruct me on how to get it online, and both Pleco and nciku need internet access.

I bought the Wi-fi/3G one.

Has anyone gotten their iPad 2 to access the internet in China? If so, could you please tell me how to do it?

both Pleco and nciku need internet access

With Pleco, you only need an internet connection to purchase add-ons (and that only because Apple's system doesn't give us an alternative); you can download free add-ons (or download the databases for paid add-ons you've purchased) via this page.

As far as getting internet access, does your computer have a wired internet connection by any chance? If so, do an internet search for "ad hoc wifi" - basically it's a way to use your computer's WiFi card as a temporary WiFi router which your iPad can then connect to.

Thanks for all of the at-home solutions. I'll check those out.

However, one of the main appeals of the iPad (and all of the other great software, like Pleco) was that I could use it while I'm out and about.

If I don't have wireless away from home, what are my other options?

The iPad reminds me every time I turn it on that a SIM card isn't installed. Can I sign up for an internet plan via China Mobile or another company?

Yes. That's probably your best bet. Not sure which provider is recommended (Gato?) but you're going to want to have Internet access for it at least at home (wifi) and preferably out and about (mobile Internet). If out and about only means a few places - ie the office and a couple of cafes - where you know there'll be wifi, you could maybe do without the mobile Internet.

I've got everything up and running.

This has clearly been the best investment I've made in a very long time. Seeing how practically all of my reading for university is in electronic-book format, being able to read, make notes, look up new words, and throw them into a flashcard system (all using one piece of equipment) is absolutely indispensable.

Prior to buying the iPad and Pleco, I was using my reading assignment, PC, ZDT, nciku.com, highlighters, etc. all for the "simple" task of reading. Now I can do everything with one piece of equipment, and save a bunch of time.

For anyone who is doing a heavy amount of reading, and constantly coming across new words that they need to learn, I strongly recommend this setup.

Thanks to everyone for their help in this post. A big thanks to Mike Love for creating fantastic software. I'll push this on everyone I can.

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
Getting Wifi set up at home would be the easiest way to do it. A wifi router would cost you only about 100 yuan.

At home it's simple. On the road you would need a router that can bridge from Ethernet (in a hotel i.e.) to WiFi. A normal router usually can not do that.

This 200rmb toy can do that:

http://www.tenda.cn/...x?productid=374

There are similar routers on the market. I liked that one coz you can use USB as a power supply and don't have to travel with 10 power adapters. 1 charger 4 all!

http://mandarinspot.com/bookmark. I didn't try it on iPad, but it works on iPhone, so it should work on iPad as well.

Thanks for that link! It's a nice Perakun substitute for now - and it does work with the iPad!

I would not recommend Android tablets.

Why not? There is Pleco for Android and you have zillion apps too. I am thinking of the new Asus Prime (soon Android 4.0).... iOS has a few disadvantages related to their closed system (i.e. can't put a text note into a dropbox folder)

• 1 month later...

I bought my iPad2 last May from the Apple store in Regents Street. Unlike my Cybook Opus e-Reader ( £200 gathering dust, with minimal resale value), the iPad has been a constant companion.

Chinese study:

1. Anki - essential, but damn expensive and cannot create flashcards via the iPad (need to factually double-check)

2. Pleco

3. Skype (language exchange / tuition - perfect with the iPad2 due to front and rear-facing cameras)

With regards to Pleco, at first I thought that everyone was stark, raving bonkers before it hit me last night that I ought to "edumacate" myself: "Self," I said to myself, " We need to edumacate this fella!". Downloaded free CC-CEDICT dictionary which is a big improvement on the standard Pleco dictionary. At some stage, I will need a better formatted and comprehensive dictionary. Paid for the native female voice and now I'm golden.

Can anyone provide a comparison between Anki and Pleco in terms of flashcards? I love Anki (it was initially painful to get it all set-up), but I never touch Anki on my desktop now that I have it on my iPad. Except the major drawback is that you cannot create new flashcards and add them to your decks via the iPad. Has to be performed via the desktop. Pain in the ass - especially as my desktop will not POST at the moment. Fortunately, I still have my Samsung NC10 netbook with Anki set-up because I really need to create and add some cards to my desk.

FWIW, I use Goodreader for reading and annotating documents Inc. PDFs.

That said, let's not forget the essential element: an actual detailed and developed study plan.

P.s. Thanks for the Chinese streaming apps recommendation as I really need to start watching and listening to Chinese as well. I've discovered that a number of JAV have Chinese sub-titles but I think I'll be on thin ice claiming 'educational value' to any future girlfriend that might peruse my hard-drive.

Edited by putonghua73

Can anyone provide a comparison between Anki and Pleco in terms of flashcards?

I haven't used Anki enough to give a fair comparison, however Pleco has instant creation of cards from any of its dictionaries in whatever combination you like of front/back, all of which can also be reconfigured whenever you choose.

Instant flashcard creation from dictionary lookups is the winner for me because I'm not interested in pre-made decks and this essentially reduces deck maintenance to zero.