Chinese-Forums

而and its many uses

Kongming21

Hey everyone,

as I have been wondering lately about some of the many meanings and functions 而can have, I have put together this summary. Most of it is taken from 虚词词典 I own. Although this made thing clearer to me, I still am unsure about some of the points:

而is a conjunction that can be used in different ways:

• It is used to connect adjectives and adverbs of similar meaning(both adjectives/adverbs should be of equal length in characters)Is there any rule as to what adjectives can be connected with 而 and what not? Can anyone give an example of such a construction working as an adverb like the dictionary says?

• 年轻漂亮而有才
  • 一个单纯而伟大 的人
  • 伟大而艰巨的任务

b.

• It is used to connect verbs or verbal phrases expressing a sense of continuity between the first verb/verbal phrase and the second Could anyone elaborate what exactly this continuity(相承)is supposed to be?

• 取而代之
  • 成绩是优异的,而优异的成绩是汗水浇灌出来的。

• It can have the meaning of “moreover” (而且)Can this only be used with 不但。。。而?or generally whenever 而且can be used?

• 小学生不但上学路远而书包重

• It can be used to express a contrast, in the sense of 但是(however it is weaker than 可是/但是/却)

• 青取于蓝而胜于蓝
  • 雨下得很大,而老李还是按时来了。

• It can be put between adverb and a head-word thereby modifying it.

• 侃侃而谈
  • 这个会议因下雨而延期
  • 凭个人兴趣而定
  • 飘然而去

• It can be put between the subject and the predicate turning the sentence into a conditional sentence, followed by a result.

• 人民公仆而不为人民服务,必将为人民所抛弃。

• It can have the meaning of “to” if used together with 由/自/从

• 由南而北
  • 自远而近
  • 由童年而少年,而壮年

I have marked some of the points I am unsure about, would be great if someone could have a look at those. If you know more possible meanings/functions of 而that would also be interesting.

• Like 1

Can anyone give an example of such a construction working as an adverb like the dictionary says?

e.g. 人们应该勇敢而坚强地面对自然灾难

在会上,他详尽而准确地阐述了这一观点

他英勇而顽强地克服了困难

Can this only be used with 不但。。。而?or generally whenever 而且can be used?

They are equal.(不但。。。而 = 不但。。而且)

不仅...而且... is acceptable as well.

• New Members
Is there any rule as to what adjectives can be connected with 而 and what not? Can anyone give an example of such a construction working as an adverb like the dictionary says?

The rule is "to connect adjectives and adverbs of similar meaning", it's like 'and' in English and '又' in Chinese here.

here is an example of "and" in English which is in similar circumstance to "而" in Chinese to connect adj. and adv. of similar meaning.

adj. case:

She is beautiful and prudent. -- 她美里而贤惠。

adv. case:

He runs fast and steadily. --他跑得快而稳。(Here the two adv. are behind the verb. as complement<补语>.)

if you want to do one of these for 以 or any other conjunctions I'd be really happy... I find the conjunctions in Chinese extremely confusing and feel like most books do not do them justice, instead saying that they can translate to English word X, which will only actually work as a translation in some fraction of instances