Chinese-Forums

So Close - Shu Qi, Karen Mok, Zhao Wei, Dir. Corey Yuen

roddy

I think there's a couple of posts about this in another topic somewhere, but I've just watched it and I think it deserves its own.

Very impressed with this film - best action I've seen in a long time. I'd seen it in the shops for ages and not bothered picking it up - daft :roll:

Great action sequences, and if you keep comparing it to Charlie's Angels then even the plot looks pretty good - recommended. I'm also going to go out tomorrow and buy the complete works of Corey Yuen.

Roddy

I personally believe this movie had great potential. The basic story and plot are excellent, however, the characters weren't developed well enough for the audience, namely my girlfriend and I, to get emotionally attached to them. I could totally see where the director was going but I felt like I had to make myself care about the characters. This seems to be the trend for recent Chinese movies though, great potential and excellent story ideas but weren't carried out well enough. The same goes for Infernal Affairs (shouldn't it be internal?).

My two fen ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

i saw this movie twice and i really like it!

Charlie's Angles is just a action moive about three women, you can also image where the director was going.

The So Close including the love between the sisters, the friendship between soldier and thief.

the basic story is excellent! and i couldn't see the older sister was killed before it happened.

it is well worth a watch!

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I'm glad I didn't read this before I saw the film this afternoon:

i couldn't see the older sister was killed before it happened.

Could have ruined the ending!

Very stylish action, and the best use of a Carpenters song since.... well...ever.

A shame my copy lost Mandarin halfway through the second disk, though. Maybe I'll try buying it again.

Question: do the actors dub themselves into Mandarin? I know Zhao Wei should be able to. Dunno about Shu Qi and Karen, though.

Question: do the actors dub themselves into Mandarin? I know Zhao Wei should be able to. Dunno about Shu Qi and Karen, though.

Both Shu Qi and Karen Mok speak Mandarin and both dubbed their own parts in the movie. Well, I'm sure Shu Qi dubbed her own, I'm not completely sure about Karen Mok.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

ya finally got to get myself a copy of 'so close' after great reviews from friends. its one of the best action movies ive watched in a long time, comparing it to charlie's angels is even unfair because its better than that :) cant wait to get my hands on other corey yuen movies, although ive watched bits of the transporter and it doesnt seem as good.

• 1 year later...

I bought this VCD and felt totally ripped off. I think, if I remember correctly, that this movie was produced by or somehow connected to Columbia Pictures. I wonder if that was the reason it was so horrible - they maybe wanted to make it into a Hollywood action film, but everything is so unbelievable in the movie, I don't buy into it at all. What a waste of film stock. They should have re-read the script and story once before filming. Hopefully, they would discover all the non-sensical things and holes in the script and story.

• 2 years later...