Chinese-Forums

What is the fruit 'shanzhu' called in English?

yonglan

Split from http://www.chinese-forums.com/viewtopic.php?p=29628#29628

I was chatting with my boss and he mentioned some fruit that he thinks is from outside of China originally, but I have no idea what it is and no dictionary I've looked at has it.

Who can tell me what a 'shan1zhu1' is? Sorry, I can't type Chinese on this computer. Shan1 as in mountain, and Zhu1 as in pearl.

This fruit is widely available in China (as far as I know). I have now seen it. For those who live in China (and maybe those in Taiwan) go to a fruit seller and ask for it.

It looks like I should know what it is (and again my boss thinks it's originally from elsewhere) but I am clueless about most things in life, including fruit names. I don't know what it is. I just want an English name.

What is a shanzhu in English?

so you thought this topic was over and done with? think again, I'm out to resurrect it, with another fruit-related inquiry.

my 现代汉语词典 defines 罗汉果 (Momordica Grosvenori) as "mangosteen". however, the botanical name for mangosteen is Garcinia Mangostana. I originally came across 罗汉果 defined as passion fruit or arhat, but the Latin name for passion fruit is Passiflora edulis, so it can't be that.

So... if it isn't another mangosteen, then what the hell is 罗汉果?? has anyone ever seen one? and most importantly of all, are they delicious?

Mangosteen

It is named after its root, with oval and ball shape, with light yellow hair on its rind. Guilin city and its nearby counties are the main growing areas, of which Yong Fu and Ling Gui Counties are more famous with the planting history of more than 100 years. Mangosteen, from which condiments and cool drinks can be made and ingredients of valuable Chinese medicines can be extracted, is a precious specialty of Guilin. It is nutritive and has special good effectiveness of clearing -heat, promoting blood circulation, relaxing muscles, bowl movement, reducing phlegm, relieving cough, promoting the secretion of body fluid and quenching thirst. It also can cure chronic browchitis, pharyngitis, whooping cough, constipation, acute tonsillitis and asthma, etc. diabetic can drink it. All kinds of cakes, candies and biscuits are made from Mango steen. In additon to expoiting dry fruits. Fruit syrup, cough syrup and jam are made from Mangosteen

from http://www.gotravel.com.cn/eng/local/Guangxi.asp

• 6 months later...
What is the fruit 'shanzhu' called in English?

Shan1 as in mountain, and Zhu1 as in pearl.

What is a shanzhu in English?

Interesting thread, I'd like to comment.

I think Roddy is right about the messed up zhu's. I think the correct zhu is rare (in most dictionaries)

http://www.greenlife-herbal.com/database/r-s-pin.htm

Shanzhuyu

山茱萸

Fructus Corni

Common Macrocarpium Fruit

----------------

Put

山茱萸

in

http://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php

and you will get:

茱 - zhu1 - dogwood, cornelian cherry (Cornus mas)

The LinYuTang dictionary:

1. 茱萸 [zhu1yU2], n., (bot.) a plant of several unidentified varieties, one of which is called “edible”(食茱萸)

(NOT - the correct - mangosteen)

http://www.oplin.org/tree/fact%20pages/dogwood_cornelian_cherry/dogwood_cornelian_cherry.html

So, probably another proof about the messed up state of Chinese dictionaries (like the other guy has said about his problems with the luohan fruit).

Though it's also possible that mangosteen is described as 'shan zhu yu' but with the zhu of pearl :mrgreen:

-

More dictionaries - more confusion

From a German - Chinese dictionary (published in Shanghai 1945), I got for:

Mangostane (German for mangosteen):

Garcinia mangostana, 倒 捻 子 , 山 竹 果 樹 (shan zhu guo shu)

So, our quiz for the day:

Which zhu is correct to describe mangosteen?

1. 山 茱 萸

The 'zhu/zhu yu' (茱 萸) is usually attached to 'plant names'. Meaning unclear.

So 'shan zhu yu' means 'mountain plant'?

2. 山 竹 果 樹

zhu (bamboo), mountain bamboo fruit plant?

3. 山 珠 萸

zhu (pearl), mountain pearl plant?

-

Which zhu is correct to describe mangosteen?

1. 山 茱 萸

The 'zhu/zhu yu' (茱 萸) is usually attached to 'plant names'. Meaning unclear.

So 'shan zhu yu' means 'mountain plant'?

2. 山 竹 果 樹

zhu (bamboo), mountain bamboo fruit plant?

3. 山 珠 萸

zhu (pearl), mountain pearl plant?

I think it is 山竹.

Another interesting one is what 'mulberry' is in chinese. I asked a group of chinese people and they were split almost 50/50 on whether it is 桑葚 or 桑椹. I guess both ways are acceptable, but still don't have a definitive answer... :conf

Another interesting one is what 'mulberry' is in chinese. I asked a group of chinese people and they were split almost 50/50 on whether it is 桑葚 or 桑椹. I guess both ways are acceptable, but still don't have a definitive answer...

My dictionary mentions 桑树 and 桑葚儿 as correct translations :)