Chinese-Forums

PPlive vs PPstream vs QQstream

Xiao Kui

I've been out of China a year now and content with news shows via tvu player and cctv until now and just realized I can't watch tudou, xunlei, etc. I'm looking into ppstream, pplive, qqstream, etc.

Which do y'all recommend for ease of use, not slowing down my PC with too much adware, high speed of streaming, etc.

Also, I can read Chinese pretty well, but the less cluttered everything is the better, because I can't scan it yet the way I can English. I'm looking to watch stuff like 家有儿女, 快乐东西, 涩女郎, and cartoons or sitcoms with lots of dialogue.

I'm looking fwd to and really appreciate your recommendations!

• Like 1

I would recommend fengxing 风行, if you don't need English subs.

It's a p2p program, it's fast, not too much ads, and it downloads tye videos it streams in a format that can be played by qq player.

my only knock against it, is that, understandably, none of the Chinese programs have English subs.

• Like 1

I use PPS, which also seems to be quite popular with my Chinese classmates. It has an excellent search feature if you know what you're looking for, but is quite difficult to browse (in my opinion). The streaming quality is generally excellent, but the "original" quality of stuff varies quite a lot (mostly pretty good, some movies are very good, almost always watchable). A 10-15 second ad is shown before you try to stream a new thing. It comes with a background application that accesses the internet and -- I'm assuming -- eats bandwidth. I usually kill this application through task manager when I don't stream (it's activated when you start the computer or actually stream something -- you might be able to disable it but I haven't tried). Apart from that particular nuisance, I haven't found it slowing down my computer, but I'm not a computer geek either, so maybe I wouldn't realize.

Happy watching! :)

• Like 1

I mainly just watch movies, but I like PPS it's reliable and simple to use.

It's difficult to seach for movies if your Chinese reading is not so great so I browse from here:

http://v.pps.tv/movie/area,year,orderby_field,asc_desc/us,2011,sum_online_num,desc/1.html

You can search by name, year, country...

• Like 1

Yonglin and Matty -- Are you using PPS from within China or from another country? If from another country, from where? Big difference in what works inside the PRC and what works overseas. The OP is in the US.

Are you using PPS from within China or from another country? If from another country, from where? Big difference in what works inside the PRC and what works overseas. The OP is in the US.

I'm in Canada. Web services such as Youku, Tudou, etc. are very slow from here, but I never had any issues with PPS. :)

abcdefg - I've used PPS in Australia, it varied on a movie to movie basis. It should also be noted that my internet connection wasn't great "Maximum speeds: 1500 kbps Down/256 kbps Up".

tudou, youku, and qiyi do not allow many movies to be seen if you are outside the mainland. im in Ecuador and I just watch chinese movies and series on youtube. Search for 'sinapremium' on youtube. there are countless 45 minute videos of mainland series with subtitles that will keep you busy.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have just installed PPTV (formerly PPLive) and downloaded all 16 episodes of Downton Abbey (2 seasons, and the fan-subs are pretty good) and am very happy with it.

But I am worried about the risks. I suppose PP means p2p and thus other people / systems can access mine through it, is my understanding correct?

I have changed the settings so that the programme won't start automatically whenever I turn on the computer, and I have checked the task manager and found nothing suspicious running in the background. Can someone more tech-savvy comment on how risky it is to have this programme installed? If it is bad I will delete it (though I very much want to keep it).