Chinese-Forums

Renmin University

roddy

• 7 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I'll be considering it for next year.  I want to know what people think about accomodations and such.  I watched Youtube vids and 1 made it seem really bad and another made it seem not bad at all.

The culture center dorms seem really really nice and I wanted to know if anyone had an idea of how hard it is to get in there?  I'm going to be doing the application process pretty much as soon as it opens (hence doing my homework now so I'm prepared) so.. soon. lol

I really would like a single room since I'm for 2 year language program and really won't be ok with sharing for so long.  I just want an idea of what the process is like and how you reserve a room in specific buildings, etc.

I'm confident both this and Tsinghua are good education/elective wise and don't have a preference either way in that regard, so I'm using accommodations as my tie breaker haha.

Any help is appreciated!!

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm going to Renmin for the next academic year 2017-2018  as an exchange student. I will only take language courses. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that the classes are everyday from 8-11.30. Thats so little.. what are we supposed to do for the rest of the day? :D 

I'm desperately trying to find a private teacher to teach me EVERYDAY for 2 hours in a school dining hall/cafeteria. I really want to improve my Mandarin while in Beijing. The problem is that all the language schools that I know in Beijing are so damn expensive.. for example the LTL-school. Their prices are like 130RMB for an HOUR. I'm looking for a long-term teacher for around 80-90RMB/hour. I know that when I arrive in Beijing I will be able to find Chinese tutor-ads everywhere in the campus, but… I'm looking for someone with a degree in teaching Chinese and plenty of experience, not a language-buddy. I need well-organized lessons with a strict teacher. That's why I'd prefer to find a teacher through a private school: they have already selected qualified teachers and it just saves me from going through the trouble… and if there's problems I can contact with the school directly… I just wish they weren't so damn expensive.

So here's why I'm posting this here: I was wondering if there are other Renmin students who want extra afternoon Chinese classes? Many schools offer a possibility for students to form their own small group, and the prices drop dramatically if there are 2 persons paying. My level is between HSK4 and HSK5. Is somebody here interested in a such arrangement? :) 

I doubt that a professional who meets your requirements would sit down with you for two hours daily in the cafeteria. and even if, certainly not at the rate you have in mind. If you live around RenDa, and don't mind a few stops on the subway to get to your afternoon classes, I'd look at Global Village language center (地球村). They are based in Wudaokou and offer very competitive rates to join their daily classes (good pricing if you commit to a whole semester worth of daily class). They do have good teachers, and if you are not satisfied with one of them, they will allow you to switch to a different class... I did my HSK prep there and it was pretty good!

http://www.gvschinese.com/about/intro.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shidiwen said:

I doubt that a professional who meets your requirements would sit down with you for two hours daily in the cafeteria. and even if, certainly not at the rate you have in mind. If you live around RenDa, and don't mind a few stops on the subway to get to your afternoon classes, I'd look at Global Village language center (地球村).

Hey Shidiwen, you've got a good point. However, looks like all major private schools in Beijing do offer the option of sending their teachers to whatever location the student wishes (their work place, campus, coffee houses etc.). But yeah, maybe not at a rate that I have in my mind. I had a good teacher for 80RMB/hour in 2013 when I studied in BLCU, but maybe the prices have gone up since then. I understand this, that's why I'm looking for a person who is willing to form a small group with me. This is also a way for me to see if there are more people on Chinese forums going to RenDa for next semester :) .

Thank you so much for linking the Global Village Language Center, very helpful!! They charge 200RMB for 1-on-1 (1.5 hours), but if there are 3 of us, the price already drops to 100RMB for 1.5hours. If nothing else, I could join their small classes and hope the class sizes aren't too big (it says 3-20 students on their page). 

• Like 1

I joined their small group classes (of which they have a huge schedule to choose from) and I don't know how many there were registered for these classes, but I joined an HSK 5 prep class as well as a conversational class at that level, and for both classes there were never more than 5 or 6 students present...

Good luck!

• Like 1

@Veeti I will attend the Chinese language class this year at Remin and I have already attended them last year so from my experience, I can tell you it's enough lol. There will be 5 different courses and you will have to be ready for all of them. You will have to prepare each class of each course, sometimes you'll have 100 new hanzi to learn a day, so basically the afternoon should be used to prepare the chinese classes ! The first time I went there I also attended other classes so I didn't really work hard for the Chinese classes but I saw people around me who were very hardworking and prepared each class and they who improved so much within a really short time. And the teachers are honestly the best, very understanding and helpful !

@vabbian

Hi. Congratulations on getting the scholarship. :)

I am not sure, but I think you can only if you are willing to pay for the room (3000 yuan a month in Renmin).
There might reduce the price a little bit but I can't tell for sure, you know sometimes universities work like a business...

Also, a friend of mine who is going as an exchange student (so she was able to book a room), said to me that she asked for a single room but they could only offer her a shared room. I find that surprising because there are two entire buildings for the single rooms... So I don't know you might be able to negociate if you are willing to pay the price but at the same time if there are no rooms available, you might not even be able to get one...

Unfortunately, the shared rooms in Renmin are not that great... But if you are with the good person I find it fine. :)

46 minutes ago, kouch said:

she was able to book a room), said to me that she asked for a single room but they could only offer her a shared room. I find that surprising because there ar

Thank you for the reply!

Oh this makes me worried now :( hope the staff aren't on vacation,

they are not responsive.

I can't afford 3000 a month hopefully they ask just to pay the difference in price between shared and single.

Do you know if you can ask to switch rooms to be with a friend (same gender) once you get there?

@vabbian

I don't think it's possible to pay the difference :( but who know ! I found that people in Remin were really helpful. But for your information, the difference is around 1500 yuans.

Yes of course it's possible I did it. But it depends on if there is a room available for you two. ^^

@vabbian Also its always possible to switch from a single room to a double room so if you run out of money its not a problem, now the scholarship status might change something. Could u let me know if you have an answer ? Ill be a scholarship student in Renmin this year as well and id like to.know :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I will be studying Chinese for a year from September. Hope to meet you all in Beijing. 

I also have a few questions:

1. How are the double rooms at Renmin? And how are the people living in them? I lived at BLCU's for a year, and although the facilities were alright, some guys were less than pleasant.

2. How many levels of Chinese courses are offered and what is the highest/most difficult?

3. How am I likely to postpone my registration by 2 weeks? It's a little bit difficult for me to arrive on their designated date, but I can't reach them by both the email and the phone?