Chinese-Forums

is it possible to work and study in beijing?

Guest akira

hi!

im now learning chinese and am looking to save up enough money to be able to afford to study in beijing hopefully by next year. so far i wont be able to afford to stay as long as i would like to. although i was told by a friend that i could teach english while studying mandarin to earn extra. is that possible? will i be needing an english or teaching degree to teach english? how do you go about looking for english tutorial jobs?

hi!

im now learning chinese and am looking to save up enough money to be able to afford to study in beijing hopefully by next year. so far i wont be able to afford to stay as long as i would like to. although i was told by a friend that i could teach english while studying mandarin to earn extra. is that possible? will i be needing an english or teaching degree to teach english? how do you go about looking for english tutorial jobs?

as i know, u dont have with a education degree in beijing, there r lots of english teachers without education degrees(of coz, some educated backgrounds r necessary), the only request is that u r a native speaker without serious local accent, i m taking an english course right now, so i know a little bit about it.

BTW, what were u majoring?

thanks for the reply :) when you say native english speaker does that mean american or british? or just as long as your a fluent speaker of english? i majored in management but i'm a freelance writer( i write in english)/publicist.

sure that doesnt mean only american or british, there r lots of teachers r from canada, australia, new zealand, Ireland, even hongkong, i think u can do it! otherwise its not the only choice to be a teacher, why not work for the english magazine or newspaper as a reporter? or work for advertising company as an english copywriter? or keep go on your freelance career? i think u would be easier find a job in china than in any other countries if u spoke english.

and actually the accent isnt so important neither, one of my english teachers who is from scotland, he always pronounces "r" as "l", and some teachers from australia they pronouce "case" as "casse" ,and the tune is also strange, even when we heard british pronounces "singapore" also felt a little strange, though it's the original pronunciation, lol, because we used to hear american yankee's accent.

but its not problem, because it's not bad to understand different accent for us, u never know who will u met. i think wherever is the teacher from, we still speak chinglish, lol !