Chinese-Forums

Yanshan University

roddy

This topic is for discussion and reviews of Yanshan University. Accommodation, courses, on-campus facilities and activities - anything to do with Yanshan University goes in here. If there's a lot of discussion about any one particular topic we might split it into a new thread and leave a link here.

• 5 years later...
  • 2 months later...
I rearranged my preferential list before applying, I put Qinhuangdao on the first spot, Tianjin on the second and Qingdao to the third, and I got my scholarship to Qinhuangdao, I'm here just right now, and I do not regret my choice. Small cities are just fine for me, during my travel to here I spent 2 days in Beijing, but I didn't like it at all. Here in QHD everything seems perfect for me, the teachers are very good, there are only 10 people in my group, the Chinese students are nice as well, I made some friends, they are from here, and they speak quite clear mandarin, I can understand them well.

Hello ZhangKaiRong

Can u give me some information about Qinhuangdao? Are you really happy to be there? How about learning mandarin in there?

+1 for the follow up. I think most language students are well served by staying away from the big expat centers. A dedicate student can do this even while living in Beijing/Shanghai, but choosing a smaller place forces you to do so. QHD seemed pretty nice when I spent a weekend there last summer - and, as you mentioned, devoid of expats.

• 6 months later...

@ZhangKaiRong

Hi, I'm going to Yanshan University with the same kind of EU scholarship you got. I haven't received the admission package yet, hence the confusion :$ I'm really excited about going to China and studying there but since I don't have much information about it yet, I also feel a bit left out :D

Could you please let me know if the cost of the medical administration fee and the residence permit are covered by the scholarship? or did you have to pay for it yourself? Also, as far as I know there is a refundable fee students have to pay when they move in their rooms and which they get back when they leave at the end of the academic year. Did you have to pay for this too?

I'm just asking because I'm not sure how much money I sould take with me... :$

Thank you for your help in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

@brekk2

Hello, I've also gottten to Yanshan Uni, but I am from other scholarship, so I cannot answer all of your questions, but maybe I could help a little bit. I know, that you should pay them 1020 元 as a deposit and those money will given you back at the end of the year or semester (depends on how long do you stay in China).

What else - I am not sure whether your scholarship will covered those cost, but I will tell you about some expenses at the beginning:

dorm: you are obliged to paid for a semester/year in advance, for 1 semester it is 4800RMB

insurance fee: 600 RMB/year

Medical Certification Fee - 60 RMB

Residential Permit Fee - 800 RMB/year

+ textbooks fees.

I also have one question - do you maybe know if I am obliged to pay for the access to the Internet? What if I want to have one for my own? ;)

@Viking

Hi, Thank you for your reply!

According to the uni's website students have to pay for the internet and the bills separately, as these costs are not included in the accomodation fee - and they are not covered by the scholarships either. (http://gjhzc.ysu.edu.cn/siysu/ShowArticle.asp?ArticleID=343 ) On the other hand, I'm sure you are not obliged to pay for the internet if you don't want to have the connection in your room.

If you haven't done it yet, then you also have to fill out an "accomodation reservation form" and e-mail it to them in advance. - The form can be downloaded from the Chinese version of the website - the link on the English one doesn't work :(

Are you staying for 1 semester only?

@brekk2

Sorry, I haven't been online for a while. Thanks to roddy who messaged me about the activity here, I'm back again :)

Deposit is 1000 RMB, and there are 20 additional RMB for the keys. However, we didn't have to pay the deposit last year :)

The medical fee was 60 RMB, but I had to pay an additional 30 RMB because at the hospital they said my lung X-ray is not visible, lol. So in total it was 90 RMB. The residency permit was 400 RMB for a year. Insurance is covered by the scholarship, so no problems. Textbooks up to 300 RMB are also covered, it is enough (I paid 10 RMB additional fee in the second semester).

You can subscribe for the Internet at the 中国联通 next to the big school cantin, the fee for the first semester is 580 RMB, but they give you a 联通 SIM card for free as well. The SIM card has a solid 350 RMB account, so no need to buy from other service providers, 联通 is just fine. Ah, and they also give you access to an internet set-top box, so you can watch internet TV as well.

You have to pay for the electricity as well if you use more than 160 kWh per month per room, but honestly, this is a generous offer, our room has never ever been near that amount, so you don't have to worry about this.

We got our September stipend (1700 RMB) on the second week in cash, so you can manage these first-days-fees on that money.

BtW, brekk2, is it possible that you're from Hungary? :)

• Like 1

@ZhangKaiRong

No problem :) Thanks a lot for your reply! (and for roddy's for letting you know about the questions! :) ) Thanks for all the information! It just seems there are so many things that need to be sorted before I leave the country, so I was a bit concerned, but after reading your message it seems I will be just fine :)

Yes, I am from Hungary :) Does this mean that you are Hungarian too?

Yes, I am :) Last year there were eight Hungarians at YanDa, we were the fourth biggest colony after the Koreans, Russians and Central Asians :) According to the list I saw at the International office, this year there will be 4 Hungarians, 3 girls and a boy, so you will have some company, you won't feel alone there.

@ZhangKaiRong

haha, what a coincidence! :)

8? wow! I only saw 1 girl - apart from myself - on the 'first round' list.

I'm sure it will be a great experience, and based on your previous posts it sounds like you had a great time there! I bet your Chinese was better than mine when you started the course, but hopefully I will learn a lot too :)