Chinese-Forums

Yanshan University

roddy

@brekk2

I leave Poland 27th August, so I will be at Yanshan Uni 28th:) What about you? Btw I am curious - do we need to take some tests in Chinese there so that we can be divided into groups depending on our level of Chinese or the HSK results are enough?

@Viking

that's cool :) I'm leaving Hungary on the 28th and will be at Yanshan Uni on the 29th.

As far as I know you have to sit a test so they can find you a group with suits your level of Chinese, but during the first week you can still move between the various groups if you/ they think the group isn't suitable for you. (eg. your test resulsts were not too good, but on the lessons you are really good)

Yes, you will have to take a Chinese test to measure your 水平. If you have HSK, that's good, but you still have to take the test... But don't worry, the tests are really easy, after finishing the writing part you're going to speak with a teacher, and she/he will recommend you to a group. Of course, as brekk highlighted in the previous post, you can change groups during the first week if you're not satisfied with either your own level or the group's level.

Basically, there are five groups: 初一, 初二, 中一, 中二, 高级. 初一group has character writing, pronounciation, 汉语, 口语 and 听力 lessons, two classes every morning from Monday to Friday. 初二 has 汉语,口语,阅读 and 听力, two classes every day. 中一 has the most classes: 汉语,中国文化一,语法,口语,阅读,听力. We had three afternoon classes :((( 中二 has 汉语,中国文化二,口语,阅读,听力. 高级 has 汉语,essay-writing, newspaper-reading, 中国古代思想文化,商务汉语.

The most useful and inspiring one was the 语法 class, which I didn't like in the first month, but it turned out to be the best class during my stay at YanDa!

IMO if you have a good basis of Chinese, 中一 shouldn't be a big problem, if you feel your basics are just so-so, 初二 is OK. You're going to have 期中 and 期末 exam at the end of October and at the end of December. If you pass your exams, you will automatically "level up", and in the next semester you will attend the one level higher classes, no need to re-take the Chinese entrance exam.

Taking the HSK isn't a big deal as well: I passed HSK4 like a breeze in December, and most of my classmates in 中二 group passed HSK5 in May. BtW, CSC scholarship students' first HSK exam fee was very cheap, just 70 RMB... But if you re-take the HSK or try a higher level for the second time, the price is like the normal price.

• Like 1

@Viking

Sadly, there are no real extra-curricular classes at YanDa, so no calligraphy, no 太极拳 :(

In the second semester there was an HSK class which aimed to help you in preparing for the exam, but IMO this is a useless class. I can do the mock tests alone in my room, can check the answer sheet, and if I don't understand something grammar-related, I can check it online... So I didn't take this class.

There is a compulsory Business Chinese aka 商务汉语 class in the 高级 group, but as my friends told me this was the most boring and useless class in the group. The textbook is crappy and the whole class is like an extra 阅读 with some economics related topics... I bought some good textbooks for self-study and I also check some online 财新 on daily basis, so my business Chinese is getting better.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Viking

No roaches! The dorm was redecorated last summer, so it's like a brand-new one, I haven't even seen one single roach.

I was worried about them before I got to YanDa (they are the only insects I'm afraid of), but no problem at all :) Spiders and ladybugs are frequent guests, though. Oh, and there are a lot of mosquitos, so be sure to buy some anti-mosquito stuff after arriving, it can be bought at 赛恩斯超市 or at 莉联超市.

• 11 months later...

I should be coming to this university on a scholarship as well, I have a few minor questions:

1. Is there a gym?

2. Is the room large enough that if I wanted to get some equipment it would be ok?

3. I like music (sometimes loud) would that be a problem?

4. Are there any single occupancy rooms?

5. how are the bathrooms?

6. If my girlfriend wanted to come visit me could she stay with me in the room?

1. There is a gym in the western campus and there is one in the eastern campus. Equipments are only so-so, they are a little bit out of date. But there is a good gym outside of the campus, about 15 minutes walk from the main entrance, I went there regularly last spring.

2.Rooms are twinbed rooms with two desks, chairs, a refrigerator, microwave oven, a LED tv on the wall. Although the room is not considered to be little, but it is not spacious either. What do you want to keep in your room? The dorm consists of so called 'blocks', each block includes three rooms plus a common area. Common areas are spacious, you can keep some of your stuffs there.

3.There were other guys in the dorm who liked loud music/movies, I guess no one cared about them. So it should not be an issue.

4. It depends. If you are lucky, your roommate doesn't show up or decides to live off-campus. In this case the international office might arrange you some other international student with the same 'no roommate' condition, but if you can avoid it, then it is possible to live alone. If you decide yourself to live alone, then you should pay for the other bed (600-700 RMB per month)

5. There are shared bathrooms for each block (three toilets and two shower cabins). They are ok, it is cleaned daily by the cleaning lady.

6. It is possible to have visitors at the dorm, but - according to the regulations - they have to leave their ID cards and they should leave the dorm by 11 pm. But you will see that these kinds of rules and regulations in China are not that strictly enforced. I guess it can be handled if you talk with the in charge of the dorm previously (I don't see why it should be a problem). And if you have a roommmate, you should ask for his permission too :D

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • New Members
@ZhangKaiRong

Hi

Thanks for your useful information about Yanshan University.

I am planning to go to YanDa, on self-funding. So I would like to get more information about living cost. How much pocket money I will need in daily or monthly basic. And how much it cost three meals/day in the university canteen. and in general in your opinion how much I need to study Chinese in QinHuangDao for one semester or one year exclude the tuition & accommodation fee.

It is easy to find accommodation out the campus and how much the average rent.