Chinese-Forums

Kunming University of Science and Technology

roddy

Thanks, Vera.

One (large) campus of KUST 理工大学 is a couple blocks from my home. It occupies an area bounded on the south by Bailong Road 白龙路 and on the west by Huancheng Donglu 环城东路 in 盘龙区。It seems the maps designate that campus as the "city campus." 城市学院

Haven't seen any foreign students around there, on the streets or in the stores nearby.

• 5 months later...

Prices haven't changed - RMB7,200 (10h/week) + 1,200-5,600/year accommodation (dorm -> non-shared double), so one of the cheapest out there. Given Vera's comments on accommodation above, note they're still ok with off-campus rentals, but require one month's rent (per year I guess).

See Language Programs.pdf, link below:

http://gjxy.kmust.edu.cn/en/FWD_Article.asp?ArticleID=309

Kunming isn't bad at all, this is a deal :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • New Members

onebir mentioned above that double room can be a non-shared (5600/year) but I never found any other info about that. AFAIK, a lot of universities doesn't want to give a whole room to one person. onebir, if you're still here, can you dig deeper into details about non-shared accommodation and chances to get it?

Perhaps anybody else could say anything about that fact. It's a very important thing while looking for uni to study at

• 2 months later...
Hello everybody,

I'm considering applying for the KUST  Chinese language program and was hoping somebody could help me with a few questions:

1) Is it possible to join their Chinese language program in early 2017? I know the program starts in September, but their website says you can join at anytime. Does anybody have any insight into this?

2) What is the best way to apply to the university? I was thinking of using admissions.cn since their is no application fee. Does anybody have experience with this website? Does anybody know how long it would take to hear back from them about my acceptance?

3) I would like to apply specifically to their 10 hour/week program. Do I need to somehow designate this in my application or do I choose this option after being accepted to the university?

I would appreciate any info you can give me.

Thanks.

Hey, yes you can apply before the spring session starts, i believe it's February 28th.

I would recommend to write directly to admissions how I did, and you will hear back from them within two days, they will send you an application and you fill it out. I believe you don't need to specify how many hours a week you want to choose. You do it once you are there paying.

Here is the email study_in_kust@aliyun.com

Good luck:)

• Like 1

Here is her full contact info:

Liu Lingyi (刘灵仪)

Coordinator of International Students Recruitment

School of International Education

Kunming University of Science and Technology

Kunming, P.O.650093, Yunnan, China

Tel & Fax:(+86-871) 5173655 (o)

Email: sunnycat2658@yahoo.com.cn

or: study_in_kust@kmust.edu.cn

Install Wechat app and QQ app and add her contact, looking by phone number. They usually communicate using these apps

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I contacted KUST and asked them some questions about getting a student visa. I told them I currently have a work visa (I'm currently an EFL teacher in China). All they said was "sorry we can't admit you to the university because we can't change a work visa to a student visa." Really helpful. It's like they are actively discouraging people from attending the university.

Does anybody have any experience with this? Can't I just go to Hong Kong to apply for a student visa? Or get a tourist visa, come to Kunming, and then change it to a student visa?