Chinese-Forums

Sichuan University

andreasro

Are you sure about that? Who is 'they'? 

My scholarship was from the Chinese government (CSC I think?) and the scholarship handbook basically said, "Live where we put you on campus or pay for yourself off campus."

Regarding rents - a friend of mine lived 100m or so out of the south gate of campus (still about 20 minutes walk to the classroom building), his apartment was ultra-basic, just a room with a bed and a shared bathroom area, ultra-basic squat toilet with a slow-running hose to flush it. Definitely a sense of 'old urban China' about the place. He said it was freezing in winter (no heating). Rent was 900 a month.

Another friend of mind found a mega swanky apartment in a new high-rise across the river nearish north gate (also about 20 mins walk from class), he was sharing it with other foreigners and his rent was something like 1600 a month.

My scholarship gave me 1700 a month to live off so I might have been able to rent at a push but it would have given me an ultra-tight budget to live off. The choice to stay in the dorm, for free, was a no-brainer for me, though I did consider moving out at first (it was, erm, difficult, getting used to sharing with someone, ha. But I did get used to it and have no regrets).

• Like 1

Yes, it actually changed last year. The monthly allowance is now 3000 kuai, and 700 extra if you're off campus.

I have many close friends in Chengdu and they will help me find a nice place to live in so I don't worry much for now. My friend pays 2600 for a 2-br apartment. Super nice location and compound.

So they've increased it again! Amazing! Strange that they would do that, it seems to go against all economical reasoning.

All I can say is, enjoy  :D Chengdu is great.

EDIT: Sorry I forgot to say - they actually raised my scholarship allowance to 3000/month too, but only after the first semester, at which point I'd settled into dorm life, so I had no desire to move out and instead just treated that extra allowance as a bonus (which afforded me a summer trip to Barcelona when I got home, HA!).

I tried to call them about the single room, the guy said to me that this is the second step, that I have to focus first on the first one (know if I'm going to be admitted or not) and after that we can discuss about the single room situation.

I don't want a shared room, if they will put me with someone with the same culture (or religion) maybe it will be fine, but I doubt it. I'm afraid that the double room will ruin the whole experience. perhaps I exaggerate a lot, but I don't want to take the risk ^^

I'm not going with a scholarship, but self funding. 

Thank you guys for the informations, and maybe Aymen will help me get a nice apartment ! (just joking mate ^^ )

Echoing NotChinese's words, I imagine you could get a one-bedroom apartment around the main Wangjiang campus of Sichuan University for around/less than 2,000 RMB/month (much less than probably). Check the neighborhoods around the South Gate as NotChinese indicated.

I was based at ChuanDa from Aug. 2012 to July 2014. ChuanDa and Chengdu are great places and definitely a good choice for a year of Chinese language study.

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there :)

I got the CI scholarship for one-year language program starting in September.

I'm looking for other people who got it - did you get any e-mails from the university confirming the scholarship? I know that some universities contact their future students after Hanban awards the scholarship, but, so far, I haven't gotten anything :( Should I e-mail them or chill and wait a little longer?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • New Members

Hello,

I'm going to be studying at Sichuan University this September and I was wondering if anyone is studying there or has studied there could tell me about the dorms for the foreigner students which i think is wangjiang east dorms , i need to be in a room with a bathroom inside and prefer not to share it so is that possible there or not? If any one have any information about sichuan university can add me on wechat: amiramohamed   Thank u!!♥️

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hey guys. I'm thinkin about studyin Chinese for a year at Sichuan University and have a few questions...

1. Can foreign students ask to live in the Chinese dorms, with Chinese students? I know they probably have like 4 or 6 to a room, but jus wonderin whether it's actually allowed.

2. Are the public sharing bikes (ofo and mobai etc) allowed within the Wang Jiang campus? It seems like a massive campus and some people have posted that it could take up to 30 mins to walk across it...

3. Where are the majority of students who are in the language program from, Western or Asian countries? 

19 hours ago, Harv31 said:

Hey guys. I'm thinkin about studyin Chinese for a year at Sichuan University and have a few questions...

1. Can foreign students ask to live in the Chinese dorms, with Chinese students? I know they probably have like 4 or 6 to a room, but jus wonderin whether it's actually allowed.

2. Are the public sharing bikes (ofo and mobai etc) allowed within the Wang Jiang campus? It seems like a massive campus and some people have posted that it could take up to 30 mins to walk across it...

3. Where are the majority of students who are in the language program from, Western or Asian countries? 

Hey, I'll write back to report on the actual program, but for now...

1. I don't think so.

2. Public sharing bikes are everywhere on campus.

3. I'd say 50/50.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the reply Aymen!

I'm goin to sichuan uni this september, 1 year chinese course. Didn't manage to get a scholarship so payin for it myself. Jus received an email sayin it's unlikely that I'd get accommodation on campus. I guess priority may be given to scholarship students. Anyone else in the same position? Or... if not... anyone on this forum startin same time as me? 

• New Members

Hey @Harv31, I am in the same situation, self-paid 1 year course at 四川大学. I am a bit worried about the accomodation situation and have contacted the international office for more info. Do you have Facebook/WeChat so we can get in touch?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • New Members

Hello everyone, 

I am starting 10 months long Chinese Language Programme for international students at 四川大学 in September. Anybody else who enrols in September or is already studying there? 

Does anybody  know what are the subjects like?