Chinese-Forums

Any audio recordings for all the initials, finals and all of their combinations?

mnanon

I would imagine there could be a recording for all of them as they are not that many to make this an impossible task.

I wouldn't mind paying such audio files or cd? Anyone know where I can find Any audio recordings for all the initials, finals and all of their combinations?

I'm not sure this is exactly what you're after since it only contains all combinations and not all the sounds separately. You probably can't download them either, but they still work very well for online reference and all tone combinations are included! I usually recommend this site when I teach new students who want to check the pronunciation of sounds they're unsure of. All syllables can be found in the bottom flash plugin on this website (should work on all platforms):

www.newconceptmandarin.com/support/Intro_Pinyin.asp

• Like 1

I was taught the "c" in pinyin is an aspirated "ts" sound.

However, in this table posted above:

The "c" sounds like a "k" sound in English.

Is this a regional variation because I noticed my teacher from Shanghai, Cai Laoshi, also pronounced her "c" as a "k"

Listening to the website, it seems as Xing(1st tone) has U which has crept in between X and ING.... or is that just me?

I think it's a very "proper" Beijing way to say it. A lot of people from other regions, such as Shanghai, might not have as much of the "u" sound as you've mentioned.

Is this a regional variation because I noticed my teacher from Shanghai, Cai Laoshi, also pronounced her "c" as a "k"

That's not what I heard on the website. It's similar to the "ts" sound you mentioned and not "k". Do you have the Chinese character for "Cai"? I've never heard of people from Shanghai pronouncing the Mandarin "c" as a "k". If they were speaking Shanghainese, they could pronounce "c" as "z" but not "k".

• Like 1

I was taught the "c" in pinyin is an aspirated "ts" sound.

However, in this table posted above:

I can't heard this either. I hear the aspirated "ts" you describe, not anything close to an English "k". Which syllable are you referring to? Perhaps there's something wrong with that particular syllable.

Regarding the U in Xing, is that the CCTV way spoken or just by people in Beijing but not by CCTV newscasters?

Here's a link to a newscast on CCTV. I went through this one recording and pointed out all the instances of 外星人 (wai4 xing1 ren2). This is just one example, but you'd have to comb through CCTV stuff to find others. It's best you listen to it yourself and decide how it sounds like.

http://english.cntv.cn/program/learnchinese/20111026/106669.shtml

9:03 - 9:05 外星人

9:11 - 9:13 外星人

9:17 - 9:19 外星人

9:20 - 9:22 外星人

9:26 - 9:28 外星人

9:33 - 9:35 外星人

• Like 1