Chinese-Forums

Sun Yat-Sen University

roddy

Hello everyone,

I'm going to intake in SYSU for this september 2013. Can anyone tell me how is the life there? And more, how can i get the dorm before the registration day, if possible? I'm really afraid that I can't get the dorm room, because i feel that it'll be so confusing if arriving there uncertainly. Thank you so much.

:help

Jessica

Hi m4ur1c3,

I'm sorry but I don't have that information. I'm MBA here so i don't know how to register as a language student.

Hi Jessica,

The life here is good, u will find lots of friend here :)

You may get the dorm before the registration day only if you come early but that is not 100% sure. The student from last semester may still stay there or pass the room to some of their friends. For me, I arrived before registration date for about 3 days. Unfortunately, the dorm was full :( But you can find apartment around here easily. Anyway it's depend on your budget ;)

Hi sunroof,

I've submitted my application form using that email. Apparently there was some maintenance when i email them last time. Thanks for your reply though.

Hi Jessica,

I am also worried about not getting the dorm... :(. Anyway, have you submitted your application form and documents?

Hi sunroof,

so you are living at apartment there? It's not fair if someone pass his/her room to their friends.. :conf And we International Students who are confused to get the dorm room.. really confusing..Is there any way to get the dorm room?

Oh ya, you said that you arrive there 3 days before registration day and didn't get the dorm room? The staff tell me that we only can know whether we get the room or not on the registration day. How is it? :(

Hi m4ur1c3,

what course will you take? I have submitted my application and documents, how about you?

Hi m4ur1c3,

Did u submit the application online? Last time I submitted online and send the email to them. But it took about 4-10 days for them to reply me back :(

Hi Jesicca,

This is international student dorm, they can pass the room to international student only (may be the one who cannot get the room at the first semester or the one who decided to move in). I'm not sure whether you can get the room :( One of my friend came here about a week or two before the registration date and there are plenty of room available. So, i suggest you to come early. I will ask my friend for more detail about what u asked the staff and how he can get the room.

I'm now living at the apartment near the north gate. Actually, if you can find person to share the apartment, the price will be just a bit more expensive than the dorm but the quality is much better.

Hi sunroof,

can you please ask your friend how your friend get the room before registration day? please tell me later.. hehe :D

you already live at apartment since the first time? How to get the apartment address? and how is the landlord?

thank you for helping me so far :)

@Jessica,

I have submitted last week. Still waiting for the JW202 approval. When did you submit them? I will be taking the non degree chinese language program. How about you?

@sunroof,

I use the online application and then I send the signed application form together with all the documents. I send them at night and they replied it early in the morning :mrgreen:

@Jessica

According the the staff it could be at least eight weeks. Btw, did you made any application fee? It's kinda weird because other uni need application fee. Here is the email that they sent:

Dear Maurice Chandra,

Thanks for your document. We will soon process his application and send it to the Chinese Government Authorities in Guangdong Province for their consideration and approval. It takes them at least eight weeks or more to make the final decision. If his application is OK, they will issue the documents such as JW 202 Form and Admission Notice. By then, we will send it to you by airmail.

Yours sincerely

Ivy Du

Office for International Students' Affairs

Sun Yat-sen University

#135 Xingang Xi Road, Guangzhou 510275

China

Tel: 008620-84110819 or 008620-84036465

Fax: 008620-84115621

Btw, did you made any application fee? It's kinda weird because other uni need application fee. Here is the email that they sent:

You pay the application fee when you register and pay the tuition fee and insurance fee. Insurance is 300RMB per semester, application fee is 400RMB if I remember correctly.

Hi Jesicca,

I talked to my friend today. He said he came China 2 weeks before the registration day. He booked and paid the room in advance before he came. Actually, in my case I cannot even check the room whether it was available or not :( I knew once I arrived here. So may be it depend on the staff you contacted with.

Yes I lived here since I arrived. You can easily find a room here by using agency service. You will have to pay about half month of the rental fee to the agency as a service fee.I rented my room through the building management company so i don't have to pay the agency fee and there is no land lord :)

Hi Jessica,

Yes, it seem very easy to him :(. The building management company is the company that manage this building and own many rooms for rent daily, monthly or yearly. Actually, i don't know the specific word for this kind of company :lol: But during Sep, the room will be full mostly. You surely can find a room but may not be very satisfy.

Hi sunroof,

I really want to know how he can so easy get the room.. haha

I feel like I don't have any hope to get the dorm inise uni anymore :( feel hopeless

could you recommend some place to live at in case the dorm room really full? thankyou

It seems my precedent message had some problems...

Like I said I've sent an email to the SYSU asking those questions :

"I would like to ask several questions about your non-degree Chinese language program :

-How many hours of Mandarin do I have per day (or per week)?

-What kind of optional courses can I take ?

-How many optional courses may we add?

-Could you send me a typical schedule of a student taking this programm?

-Except the tuiton fees, the registration fee , the housing fees (adding all bills) what more fee do we have to pay? (It would be very helpfull if you could give me an estimation for one year)

-Which campus am I likely to end in?

- Do I have to live in dorms? If not how could I contact a real estate agent?

-I heard about the "buddy" could I have one as well?"

I've received a reply :

"Thank you for your message and interet in our Chinese training program (non-degree) offered by the School of Chinese as a Second Language, Sun Yat-sen University.

For the required Mandarin courses, there are about 20 class hours per week.

For the optional courses, there are Taiji Martial Arts, Chinese Characters, Basic Cantonese, Inermeidate Cantonese, Reading and Analyis of Phonetic Error, Singing to Learn Chinese, Tuition for HSK, China Tourism Basis of Chinese Characters, Calligraphy Chuan Ke, Taiji Sword and Zheng.

You can choose all of them if you have time.

Since the capacity of the international domitory is limited, they can not house so many students. For each semester, many students will have live off the campus by looking housing for themselves.

We do not the course schedule, but you may contact the School of Chinese as a Second Language about it. "

There are also some attached documents if someone wants them, just tell me (I'm too lazy to type all the content).