Chinese-Forums

Sun Yat-Sen University

roddy

@Xuefeng

Thanks for the info. I think I will do as I plan, the university said I don't have to worry about the visa. They can convert to X visa and can register to the university using L visa in case that I cannot convert the visa on time.

@roddy

Acknowledged! Thanks.

@sunroof Just be prepared that the university's international office might tell you a different thing once you get here. For some reason going to the office almost always means a lot of trouble :) But that's the case with almost any Chinese university.

@Xuefang

Thanks for advise. But what do you mean by that? Do you have any experience about that kind of problem? :-?

Anyway, I think going over there is better than waiting at home. It seem like the university doesn't want to answer to my question most of the time. I send an email to ask them about the update and some other stuffs but they usually answer me with only one sentence and not related to my question. So I think going over there is my best choice. 8)

@sunroof That sound like typical Chinese email communication :) I meant that if you go to the office three times in one month to ask one question, you might get a different answer everytime. When I applied for scholarship one teacher (who was in charge of the scholarship) said it should be a form A and other teacher (in charge of us undergrads) said it should be form B.

Yes. There is an undergraduate degree in Chinese as a second language, I'm studying this degree at the moment. There is also a Teaching Chinese for foreigners master degree program.

In these degree programs you would be studying with other foreigners.

@xuefang:

So you mean degree only for studying chinese language? Does that mean it doesn't give degree to foreginers like for example the Art Design program?

I was thinking on studying Art Design in this university so I am wondering if they will accept me or not since I think courses at there are all in chinese right? (Maybe I should be studying mandarin first)

I think you can apply to any program but most of them taught in chinese (they also have international program, but very few).

As I checked, Art Design require HSK level 6. So I think if you really need to study there, you should study mandarin first :mrgreen:

@cecilia Most of the majors are in Chinese and you need an excellent Chinese in order to manage your studies with the Chinese students. You can check all the majors here: http://iso.sysu.edu.cn/wglxszs/57573.htm

There also seems to be a MBA degree in English: http://www.lnimba.com/english/media/Admission%20for%20International%20MBA%20Program.pdf

Other possible degrees in English I'm not sure of, but I would guess that art desing in only in Chinese.

@xuefang: Actually I'm more interested srudying courses related to art and the program they offer is in chinese but I don't know if its better to study the degree chinese program to be able to understand the art class or just study those short term non degree chinese program since the degree one takes 4 year to finish and if I choose to study Art Design as well that's gonna make like 8 years of study and it's too long (as well as it's gonna cost lots of money). I was trying to search on the forum about others university but the others seem empty with no post so far so I was wondering how are the other universities. If I check the websites of the others universities it looks like it doesn't really have that much of information and the contact information they post on the website more than 90% doesn't work. (phone number, e-mails, etc). I will really like to talk to someone who has experiences in this because China is a new place to me even though I am here in China living with my parents. If it possible I would like to talk directly through e-mail if its not too much.

I have a question about the difference between some phrases.

- Overseas Chinese

- Foreign citizen of Chinese origin

- Foreigner

When registering on the university website it will ask about my status (the 3 choices up there) so I was born in another country (not China) but my parents are chinese that are still holding chinese passport so which option is suitable for me?

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I will be going to Sun Yat Sen univeristy this September for 1 semester. If there is anyone joining in September it would be great to get in touch.

I do have a couple questions for those who have applied before.

X Visa or F visa - I just received the papers from the univeristy to apply for the visa. From what I have read online students studying in China for less than 6 months should apply for the F visa and students studying for more than 6 months should apply for the X visa.

However the F visa allows for only 1 entry in the country which is a problem. That means I cannot visit home or even visit Hong Kong / Macau correct? Is there any way I can apply for an X visa even though the course is about 4.5 months?

My other concern is the boarding - I would prefer staying at the international students dorm but I am told I cannot book a room in advance. The only way is to apply for a room when I reach Guangzhou for registration of the course. For people who may know is this correct? Will I be able to get a room during the registration period?

Thanks,

Manny

Hi Manny,

I will be going to SunYatSen this Sep too. But I will study the degree course.

I think you might be able to get double or multiple entry F visa. But I think getting the X visa is impossible. Let's wait for someone to give you more in this question since I'm new too :)

For the dorm, I think I will stay at the dorm too. The university told me the same that I can apply for the room only once I registered.

When is your registration?