Chinese-Forums

Sun Yat-Sen University

roddy

@Leilane,

I lived around the north gate which is quite far from language school (about 700-800m) but the environment and the room condition is better than the south gate. The price for studio room is around 2700-3300RMB, 2 bed room is around 3900-4500RMB (room only).

I attached the link of the map showed the apartment that I know.

http://imageshack.us...01393325pm.jpg/

Anyway, next semester i will join the language class so i considered to move to south gate. I will look for an apartment near south gate on around Jul or Aug.

PS. Here are the link for this semester class schedule for your reference.

Elementary 1: http://imageshack.us...1947219380.jpg/

Elementary 2: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/541/1361947231411.jpg/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone! Sorry I've been busy lately!

jessicajejess, I don't plan to live inside the dorm. Right now I'm waiting for a reply from the university. I hope they will tell me which campus I'm supposed to be in. So that I can tell my family in China where to look for an appartment...

Hi guys!

It's nice to know that you guys are going to take language program on this spring as well. I have just submitted my application last week. About the dorm, I'm thinking to live off campus though. Btw, where are you all from? I'm from Thailand =)

• New Members

Hi Guys,

I have been reading your post and they are all really helpful! i am thinking of going to Sun Yat-Sen university in September 2013. i had a few questions and i wondered if anyone could help.

How many westerners there are there?

Do people mainly speak Mandarin or Cantonese there?

How long does it take to get to HK?

It sounds like i am not very likely to get a dorm room but how easy will it be for me to get an apartment, i would really like to be in a dorm or share an apartment with someone i think.

Also what is the surrounding are like? is it very Chinese or is it westernized, bar, clubs , restaurants?

I have heard that at other universities you can give privet lessons of English for extra cash is this something that i can do here?

What is the teaching like i was thinking of doing an intense course, how much will i learn in a year?

How much does it really affect me that i will not be in a Cantonese speaking place.

BTW i know no Chinese

Appreciate your help

Thanks

How many westerners there are there?

> There are many Western students at the university. Last semester 1726 students in total from which 873 at the College of Chinese as a Second Language.

Do people mainly speak Mandarin or Cantonese there?

> At the campus there are many students from all over China, also in Guangzhou there are a lot of people from different provinces. You will hear both Cantonese and Mandarin outside, perhaps a bit more Cantonese though.

How long does it take to get to HK?

> By train 2 hours.

It sounds like i am not very likely to get a dorm room but how easy will it be for me to get an apartment, i would really like to be in a dorm or share an apartment with someone i think.

> Depends what you are looking for and if you have anyone who knows Chinese to help you out. It is possible to find an apartment in one day and then move in the next day, I did that once.

Also what is the surrounding are like? is it very Chinese or is it westernized, bar, clubs , restaurants?

> Many Chinese restaurants near the campus, one Western restaurant near the small north gate. In Guangzhou there are many options for Wester restaurants, bars and clubs.

I have heard that at other universities you can give privet lessons of English for extra cash is this something that i can do here?

> It's fairly easy to find a job in teaching English in any city in China. It's not legal to work with a student visa, but everyone does it anyway.

What is the teaching like i was thinking of doing an intense course, how much will i learn in a year?

> Depends how hard-working student you are going to be. In a year you can get to a level where you can do your basic daily things like shoppinh, eating out etc in Chinese.

How much does it really affect me that i will not be in a Cantonese speaking place.

> What you mean? Living in Guangzhou you might get a southern accent if you hang out with native Cantonese people with bad Mandarin all the time.

• Like 3

• New Members

Hi Xuefang,

thank you so much for your reply its really helpful. i was wondering is there a special type of visa that i need in order to rent an apartment, or maybe a residents permit? i am guessing that i should get a student VISA. Also do you know where i can find someone who will rent with me?

@everyone

If there is anyone on here that is needing to rent an apartment or a roommate and wants to rent with me that would be awesome, i am planing on do the language training course in September, and i will be coming into china in august i think, i am a girl and from England. so please email me beckyoram@gmail.com or skype becky_oram

Has anyone had any first-hand experience with the 351 Dorm on the South Campus? Is it possible to live there for a long period (e.g. 1-4 years) humanely? The pictures don't look great.. mainly the bathroom and squat toilet puts me off ~ but I figure I won't actually be in the room much anyway and it seems the cheapest option for accommodation which is needed as I'm self-funded...

Also, does anyone have any info on the double rooms in the Guangzhou North Campus? Is it possible for people studying an undergraduate program in Chinese Language to rent a room there?

@pandabear89

I have only visited dorm 351, not lived there myself, but I think it depends a lot about you if you would want to stay there a year or more. Do you mind having a roommate? Do you mind having a Chinese squat toilet? (I think you get used to it quickly) Do you mind buying your own mattress, blanket etc? Do you mind there's no lift in the building? I think it's ok for the cheap price.

I don't know about the dorms in north campus, but would you be willing to do the commute daily? There is a school bu going between the different campuses, but the schedule might not meet your own class schedule.

• 1 month later...

I have not, but I turned in my app and papers into the office only about 2 weeks ago (I live in Guangzhou). I asked the girl I worked with the paperwork last Saturday if my admissions was complete, and she said it takes awhile for it to process and she'd call me when ready. My status on the online system says "please wait for final result" now.