Chinese-Forums

Sun Yat-Sen University

roddy

I applied for the degree program, since I'm pretty serious about learning Chinese for business right now. I live in GZ, so the people at the office will call me to come have me stop in and pick up the acceptance package.. I live north of the campus across the river in 东山口, so it is easier for me to pickup than have it mailed.

• 2 weeks later...

As of this morning, I received the email that I was accepted, so they seem to be making progress. I'm awaiting a phone call to stop in the office to pickup my admissions letter and visa form.

Looking forward to meeting the newcomers and current students this Summer and Fall!

Below is the feedback I received regarding the documents and online status:-

"We sent you the admssion document on July 2, since it was sent by ordinary airmail it will takes about 4 weeks to reach you.

And about the status on online system, since the website is under construction, and we will change the status later."

Looking forward to meeting you all too =)

Great! Welcome to SYSU! I have finished all my courses already, but probably will visite the office and teaching building every now and then to discuss with my teacher about my thesis. Hope to meet everyone then :)

Hello to all. I will be studying Chinese language and culture in Sun Yat-Sen University from September 2013. I am really excited about the prospect however I do not know what to make of the housing options. Do you thing I will be able to get a room at the dorms and are there kitchens there? I searched through the english sites about appartaments near the university however there was nothing smaller than a two bedroom appartaments. Can someone give me guidelines as to how to search for an appartament. In my country (Bulgaria) it's normal to bargain about rents - is this normal in China? . I would be most grateful for any help.

Hello ivelin. There is always a chance you may not get a room in the dorms, especially not the good dorms. I would prepare for not getting one. If you want your own 1 bedroom apartment, you can deal with agents in the city, but they can be quite annoying to deal with, and usually won't bargain with you much. Best advice is to use websites like 58.com and Ganji.com, but make sure to tick the personal sellers only box. The agent listings are 99% fake. Honestly, unless you have a good local Chinese speaking friend, just live with some foreign roommates or a host family the first semester, till you can spend time here and look for a place of your own. It is always a headache looking for housing, not to mention you are new to the city and culture, it would be too stressful to do all at once!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you. I have been trying with http://www.gzstuff.com/ for about a week now but for whatever reason people will not reply to my emails. I have written 8 emails and not a single reply. Is this normal? And do you know any other places to look around for roommates. Would be very helpful since I must fly to Guangzhou in a little bit more than a month.

It might be best to start a new topic about apartment hunting in Guangzhou, as many people reading this topic will be students in, or going to be in, dorms, and there might be people living in the city who don't read this topic. Plus you're more likely to get general advice on finding an apartment in a Chinese city. You could post a link to the new topic in here to make sure helpful people like xuefang see it though...

For anyone coming to Sun Yat-Sen next semester, remember to check the international office's website for news and updates. You can find a notice for Registration for the Fall Semester, 2013 for example.

A
August 12 – 14, 2013
(This period is for the newly-arrived and continuing degree students.
August 12-13
is for new degree students and
August 14
is for continuing degree students).

B.
September 9 – 11, 2013
(This period is for the newly-arrived and continuing Chinese learners and advanced non-degree students of other specialty programs.
September 9 – 10
is for new students and
September 11
is for continuing students).

Hello, I'm from Brazil and I want to apply for Chinese Language Program in the next year, in the Spring Semester.

Do you know about which date I can apply for? And how much time spend until I receive my admission letter and another documents from 中山大学? Because I want to buy my airplane tickets.

And about dormitory, how I apply for? As I read until now, just when I arrive in 中山大学 I can apply for, isn't it? So, it's not sure I can have a bedroom? If I don' have a bedroom until arrive at Guangzhou, then I need to stay some days in a hotel?

Thank you

Hi Lin You Le!

The application deadline for spring semester is 5th of December, but you might want to confirm that later this year on the international office's website: http://iso.sysu.edu.cn/ywb/index.htm

I'm not sure how much time they need to process the applications though.

Yes, according to my knowledge you can only apply for the dorm room once you arrive. Unfortunately there aren't rooms for everybody, but if the best dorms are taken, there is also a cheaper option in the dorm 351: http://iso.sysu.edu.cn/ywb/living/93389.htm There is also a new option http://iso.sysu.edu.cn/ywb/living/114894.htm but I haven't been there and haven't heard anything good about that.

And yes, if you can't get a room from the dorm, then you need to stay in a hotel/hostel and start thinking of other options. For example finding an empty room and share an apartment with someone else.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Xuefang, thank you!

Now I'm a worried about dormitory, because I thought will be easier to get a room from the dormitory, but seems not so easy..

Do you think in the Spring Semester is easir to get one? Because I want to go to Guangzhou earlier, about one or half month before start classes. I also have four teacher there that are willing to be my supervisor (mentor) during my master degree (I'll apply for Chinese Government Scholarship also), do you think is good if I talk with them about it?

This year the application deadline for Spring Semester is 5th of December, it means until 5th December I need to send all my documents, isn't it? Or from 5th December I need to send it? I didn't understand..

Hi Lin You Le,

I could answer the last part of the question. Since I am going this September.

The deadline is on 5th December means that you must apply before 5th of December. They will close the application after 5th of December.

My advice is that apply around October to early November. Whether you apply earlier or later, they will send the admission notice and JW202 form around January.

In my case I apply on March and receive it on July ( course begin on September).

Also it is better to apply online then save the filled application in pdf and send it together with scanned degree cert and passport to their email

admissions@mail.sysu.edu.cn for faster response.

• Like 1

m4ur1c3, around which date you received the admission notice and JW202? About one month after the deadline? When you said "they will send" it really mean "they will send" or it means "You will receive"? Because I need to buy the airplain ticket in advance, I don't know if in the beginning of February is ok or not..

Anyone applied for Chinese Government Scholarship? In 中山大学 website I found that I need a HSK test, but in Brazil I can not do it (as far as I know here is not every year that I can apply for it). My chinese is about intermediate, but I don't have any 汉语水平考试, do you think have problem?