Chinese-Forums

Sun Yat-Sen University

roddy

Lin You Le,

To be precise,I submit the application form and other documents via email on 19th March

I was not patient and ask them when will my package arrive. They said they sent it on 2nd July.

Received my package on 24th July but in the receipt it was sent on 19th July.

I also have four teacher there that are willing to be my supervisor (mentor) during my master degree

Yes. First I'll study Chinese as a self-supported student during the Spring Semester, but at the same time I'll apply for master degree in Anthropology by the Chinese Government Scholarship. I'll apply by Chinese Embassy in Brazil and directly by 中山大学. I found in 中山大学 that I need to have a HSK test, but although I don't have did anyone (and I don't know if in Brazil is possible every year) my Chinese is not so bad, I everyday talk some hours with my Chinese friends and they understand me well..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

My name is Stella, from Indonesia. I am enrolled to study Chinese language this Fall Semester.

I just want to share my application process. I actually applied to study Chinese language at SYSU last year for Spring Semester 2013. Sadly, I got vertigo attack on early February this year, so I decided to postpone my study. I re-applied on March 1st, 2013 for fall semester which was the first day the application for fall semester was opened (I guess I'm too excited). Until May I haven't heard anything so I sent them email and they replied (almost a month later) that my application is okay, it's just that the visa application take much longer than before. They asked me to wait patiently.

Until July, I still haven't heard anything so I started getting anxious and worried. I sent them email (again) and they replied that they have sent the documents (JW202 and admission notice) on June 27th. I was relieved. That's a good news. So the next thing I did was waiting for the mail to arrive.

Until mid August, the mail hasn't come yet! I thought, the mail must've been lost or delivered to the wrong address. Also I heard from a friend of mine that works in Guangzhou that Chinese visa policy changed as per July 1st, 2013. He said it's getting more difficult for foreigners to obtain visa. I checked with the international office of SYSU (and reported that I haven't received their mail) about the visa policy changes. She said that I cannot enter China using tourist visa (L visa) and then change it to student visa (X visa) <- this method worked for my friend who studied in SYSU few years ago. She sent me the documents (JW202&admission notice) via email in pdf format and a letter to help me apply for X visa proving that I am really accepted in SYSU to study. She also said that she has applied new JW202 for me to Guangdong province government (or something like that) but it will take so about two months. So in worst case scenario, I will have to use L visa to enter China and register myself during registration period and when my new JW202 has been issued, I can go to Hong Kong or back to Indonesia to make my X visa.

Well, I thought I'd give it a shot. Since I am enrolled for one year, I need to do medical check up. While waiting for the result of the medical check up (which takes 3 days) magically, the mail arrived! You know, the JW202 and Admission Notice and all the rest. It was sent on June 27th (the stamp said June 27th, so the international office did not lie about it) and it arrived on August 23rd, while I applied on March 1st. My God, it was mental torture. I don't know if the problem was with China post or Indonesia post, or both.

So you know, if you want to apply, just do it as soon as you can even though the deadline is still two or three months away.

Anyway, I have applied for X visa and hopefully I will get it. :D

Hopefully this post can help anyone in any way possible. :mrgreen:

• Like 2

^^^

That's an awful, yet typical story of dealing with affairs in China. I can't imagine having to sit around and wait, checking the mail daily in hopes it comes, and getting it at the very last moment before it is nearly too far gone to go! Out of the 3 times I've had mail sent between my home in America and here in GZ, only once did I actually receive my mail from China Post. The other 2 packages are still out there in the wild. I hope everything comes out ok with the X visa, because if not, because of the new visa changes going into effect next week, all the paperwork will have to be redone.

I was a little nervous I would have to leave to Hong Kong or back home to switch from an L to an X (I already live in Guangzhou), but the school and PSB had absolutely no problems switching me over. I'm sure they don't mind getting 800 RMB from me, hard to pass that up I am sure, plus they are probably happy to get L visa's off the streets.

I look forward to seeing another new student like me, hope everything goes ok the next couple weeks and you'll be on your way soon! Great advice, never ever procrastinate with anything that has to do with China. They will do the procrastination on their behalf, I assure you!

- Daniel

• Like 1

I am working in Sun Yat-Sen Univeristy in the international department now, we recommend students to live in campus for the sake of safty and conviency. also living in Campus will also do well for communication with other students and get aware the latest news about good study chances everyday.

the following is the fee structure in different campuses of SYSU, also any potential international students can get in touch with me at any time you like.

Housing:

• There are two International Student Dormitory (ISD) buildings on the Guangzhou South Campus and one building on the Guangzhou North Campus. Each room has its own bathroom with a hot-water shower, and is well-furnished internet socket, telephone and air-conditioner. At the dormitory, other facilities are also provided for the students, such as public washing machines, TV room, reading-room, gym, billiards and table tennis room. The room price is as follows:
    A. The room price for the ISD on the Guangzhou South Campus:
    Air-conditioned Single Room: RMB1,650/month
    Air-conditioned Double Room: RMB1,050/person/month
    Note: The monthly bills for electricity, telephone and cable -TV is not included in the room rate and the room rate for at least 5 months will be collected at one time. The student will have to pay a deposit of RMB1,000 when he or she checks in.
    B. The room price for the ISD on the Gaungzhou North Campus:
    Air-conditioned Single Room: RMB1,200/month,
    Air-conditioned Double Room: RMB650/person//month
    4-1.jpgNote: The room rate will be collected for at least 6 months or above at one time and RMB300 is paid for deposit.
  • The Chinese Students Apartments on the East District of the Guangzhou South Campus:
    Air-conditioned Double Room RMB4,800/person/year (The student will have to pay a deposit of RMB300 when he or she checks in).
  • On the Guangzhou East Campus and the Zhuhai Campus, the international students will have to live in the same dormitory buildings with the Chinese students. The prices are as follows:
    Four People’s Room: RMB3,000/person/year
    Double Room: RMB4,500/person/year.

I am working in Sun Yat-Sen Univeristy in the international department now, we recommend students to live in campus for the sake of safty and conviency. also living in Campus will also do well for communication with other students and get aware the latest news about good study chances everyday.

the following is the fee structure in different campuses of SYSU, also any potential international students can get in touch with me at any time you like.

But a lot of people said is not sure I can apply for a bedroom in the dormitory..

By the way, do you know when will be the registration for the Spring Semester and when the classes will begin? I'll study one semester of Chinese language..

• 3 weeks later...

Dear all,

I have read almost all the comments here, i truly appreciate your inputs on this forum as i am new here. My question is this, i have been to guangzhou on Jan this year on business visa and now i applied again for f visa. I was thinking if i could enrol and pay for tuition fee for a degree course on chinese language when i arrive in china then properly convert my F visa to X visa.

Your inputs are needed.

Victor

Nigeria

• 2 months later...

大家好!

I set up an account on here specifically to talk about SYSU.

I am planning on studying an undergraduate degree, starting Sept.14. and I've narrowed it down to either Xiamen University or SYSU. Both seem to be really good universities and both are in the '985' group. However, are these universities good for learning Chinese?

Having read this thread, the conclusion I've come up with is that, you will have to live off campus. Therefore, how much can you get a decent flat, within, say 5-10 minutes walk or the university? (from what I've seen with Xiamen it would be about 1800, but it is in a newly developing area...)Also, is the South Campus, where the Chinese studies take place, on the 'higher education city' island, or another part of the city?

About the campus, are they clubs and societies to join, in the UK, at the start of the term there is a 'Fresher's Fair' and the clubs put out a stand and you can sign up - it seems that Tsinghua has this, does SYSU have it as well? And, if so, what clubs are there? And would there be anyone playing cricket? If so, I'll bring my bag over !

I hope there is someone out there who can answer these questions!

Best,

Max

^^^

You have a chance as an undergrad to live in a dorm, but likely it is a shared dorm with 1 other person.  If not, don't worry, everyone is looking for roommates to share places around the registration period.  If you rent a room off-campus, expect your half of rent to be anywhere from 1,500 to 2,500 RMB a month.

Studies are at the South Campus, which of course is great, it is a beautiful campus right in the center of the city.  Thankfully you should have no need to ever go to higher ed mega center or North campus.

There are many clubs, language exchanges, groups, and other activities happening, but of course most of it is in Chinese, so you might need to have a higher level of Chinese or a good friend before joining so you don't feel out of place.  I've never seen any place to sign up, many use Douban.com to look for groups and activities to join, or flyers hanging around the campus.

I think it is a great university.  I have my gripes with some of the teaching, especially the reading/writing class which has a very poor textbook and teachers move through the material too fast.  The Speaking class more than makes up for it, I wish more time was spent on the speaking ,and less on pushing more new words and grammar on us.  Most people around campus speak Mandarin, you will hear some Cantonese, but not enough to effect your studies.  The campus feels very alive, and it is easy to make friends, practice language, and enjoy being in the big city.

As for cricket, I have never seen it played here, but I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere in the city people play it for recreation.

Hi dandmcd, 

I read your earlier posts, and its great to hear that you have got on well at SYSU. 

From a quick search on Soufun.com it seems there are houses for about 2000-2500 on the university road (新港路)! I wouldn't really have any intention of sharing a dorm, but I will apply for a single room on campus, although it would appear to be a long shot.

What you've said about the textbooks seems to be pretty standard.. the book is always rubbish ! haha However, it was pleasing to hear that it advanced quickly, another common criticism which I had heard was the course was too slow and students, subsequently, made little progress. Although I plan to do some part-time work, I am coming to the uni to study hard

I will bring my cricket stuff and if any one wants to play we can start a team! 

and, by the way, I'm currently living in Guangdong province, so I'm under no illusions about Cantonese - I will be focusing on Mandarin and hoping to make as many (northern) Chinese friends as possible!  :lol:

• 2 months later...

Hello.

I'm planning to apply for the CSC and I'm looking for a university which offers a BA in Chinese Language that would allow me to begin my studies without taking Chinese language course prior to that (it means, no HSK). So far I found 2 universities, South China University of Technology in Guangzhou and BLCU. But I don't want to study in Beijing.

Is there anyone here who knows if the BA in Chinese Language at SYSU is open for application to those without basic in Chinese?

Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...
  • New Members
Dear friends !

I will be  in  chine a few months for my studies I would like to ask you some questions that have experience in China as a student at the same time work 

-it's easy to find a job at the same time study? 

- Live in university housing elsewhere or is that what you advise me? 

for the foreign security are ok? at night you can walk down the street without a poblem? 

for all that live in China we are forced to learn Chinese? 

is that there are other language speaking Chinese in China to share?

thanks

Is there anyone here who knows if the BA in Chinese Language at SYSU is open for application to those without basic in Chinese?

Yes you can start without knowledge of Chinese. You might be put to a normal non-degree class first, but you can change to a degree class later on. Those courses are the same anyway, doesn't matter how you start.

-it's easy to find a job at the same time study? 

- Live in university housing elsewhere or is that what you advise me? 

for the foreign security are ok? at night you can walk down the street without a poblem?

Many students work as English teachers while the study, but note that it might be illegal. With the new visa laws it could be possible to work with a student visa if you get the permit first from the university and then from the PSB. But I'm not sure about if this really works.

It's up to you if you want to stay in the dorm (if there are rooms left) or if you want to live outside the campus.

I think Guangzhou, and China in general, is safe to live in. I haven't encountered any problems even walking outside late at night.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • New Members
hello all,

i really interested in learning chinese and this september i plan to learn chinese in sun yat sen university..

want to ask something about the curriculum of non degree chinese training course..

how many classes that they divided student ? i mean like if there is elementary class, intermediate, and advanced.. they divided the elementary class again into E-1,E-2,E-3 based of their capability or only one elementary class?

sorry for bad english

thanks!

Hey zhu,

For classes no matter if you are degree or non-degree you will begin in level 1, unless you take the exam the first week, and they feel you fit in level 3 or 4.  In level 1 there are 2 different class types you can choose from.  One class type is geared towards students who already have a basic understanding of reading, writing and listening, or can quickly understand the language at a fast pace.  Generally, those with experience studying back home will take this course, or those who are used to Chinese style teaching where memorization is the key to passing the exams.  The other type, which the school stupidly calls "Pinyin class", is for students wanting to learn the basics and get a good understanding of the language.  While strangely the teachers like to call it Pinyin class, actually much of the class time is devoted to teaching writing skills, and you learn just as much as many words as you will in the other class type, just with a more western style teaching and a little more English usage.  Personally, I think the 2nd class is much better for learning, and can prepare anyone for level 3 better than the other class would.  Many of my classmates felt they learned nothing in the 1A class we were in even though we passed the exams, so we went to level 2 instead of jumping to 3 or 4 like they recommended us to take.

As for diving in the classes, it is based on how many students enroll.  So level 1 will have a 1A, 1B, ... 1E classes.  1A and 1B might be the first class type I mentioned, and 1C-1E could be the 2nd type.  You can change schedule or class type anytime up to the final exam.  Usually the 1st type class size will be around 15 to 20, the Pinyin classes will be much larger, as most students prefer that teaching method.

• Like 1

• New Members

hey dandmcd, thanks for the reply.. its really help..

want to ask again about the level... for non-degree student, how many level from the very beginner level to very advanced level in Sun Yat-Sen university?

and about the registration.. when we should pay application fee, tuition fee, and dorm? 

Thanks!