Chinese-Forums

Sun Yat-Sen University

roddy

Hi Zho
I also plan to learn chinese in sun yat sen university :) 
According to email they send for me, all the fees(including the application fee) are required to be paid on September during the registration day(September 15-17), not now . 

You should send your application soon, because they said: " Application document will send to the Chinese gouvernent authorities in Guangdong Province for their consideration and approval. From the day when they receive your application, it takes them at least 60 days or more to make the final decision. If your application is OK and approved by them, they will issue you a copy of the JW 202 Form (Visa Application for Study in China) and the Admission Notice for your student visa". 

I have send application on May, and still waiting for final descision and hope admission notice will come before September :P

Sorry for bad english :P

For non-degree there is level 1/2, 3 and 4.  Level 1 is the beginner level.  3 is where you go next if you pass your exams in 1, though you have an option to take level 2 in the Spring if you want to spend more time studying the basics.  I'ts basically level 1 and part of 3 in one semester, but with different textbooks.  Level 4 is the final level for non-degree students.  No matter if you choose the 1A or 1E class as I mentioned before, you still move up to 3 and then to 4.

Also, Hana is correct, you don't pay any fees at all until registration day in September.

@BigMax: There is a community of foreign people (I think Nepali?) who play cricket in the North Campus. I don't know how you could get in contact with them, but one time when I was visiting the North Campus with the baseball team I saw a bunch of brown people playing cricket.

There are a lot of (I think) Nepali people in the North Campus studying medicine because they can take their qualifications back home. Maybe try to get in touch with them and see.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

hey everybody am new to this thingy..lol ... just a few questions i need answered, because am stuck and i don't know what to do. here goes.

1. i have been awarded the csc scholarship an i was advice to do my own application to my three universities of choice. of course sun yat-sen is my 1st choice. how ever i need to know how long after the 30 days waiting period should i wait for a response form this uni.

2. in the case where all the chosen uni's do not accept you, what would happen to your approval to the csc scholarship?

3. do international undergrad students get a single room when requested... in my case in have OCD(mild)....hence my reason for asking..

oh and am starting hopefully this yr .... :conf

Hey Penelope,

The waiting period is a bit agonizing, but if you submitted everything you need, do not worry.  No international student that I am aware of has ever been rejected unless they lied on their app about themselves.  The wait and having no way to check your status is a bit annoying, but I wouldn't worry too much.  If you start getting impatient, you can contact people in the student office by email, and you may get an answer.

On registration day if you get there early enough you can get a single room.  They are first come, first serve.  However, the university will run out of dorm space, so if you don't show up to register on time, you will either share a room ,or have to look for a place to live off campus if you want your own bedroom.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

大家好,

I am transferring to SYSU for the upcoming 2014 fall term.  I have a student visa ( residence permit) now, because I spent the last year at Xiamen University.  I was told by SYSU all I needed to do is get a paper from Xiada that says I am transferring visa to another school----which I did ---and sent it to SYSU.  My question is this - does anyone know if I can pay fees at SYSU BEFORE September 15th? I need the visa form J which the schools will only release AFTER fees are paid.  I am worried that if I have to wait till Sept 15th the passport is held for 2 or 3 weeks weeks ( at least thats the way it was in Xiamen) and I have a plane ticket out of Guangzhou on the 24th of September.... ( I will be out of China during Oct 1 National Holiday).    I checked on line at the SYSU website and could find no information.  Also I have tried to set up an account for SYSU on line, but their website is so unstable ( flacky) that both times the accounts fail --- I keep getting an error message when I try to log in --- I have requested help from the web master but it has not been forthcoming.  Thanks for any advice.

Hi gorae, welcome to SYSU!

As you know, the tuition fees are paid when you register and I have t heard anyone being able to pay before that. They arrange clerks from a bank to come to the campus on registration days and if you miss that, you can later go to the bank to pay your self.

The best thing to do now is to email or call the office. Here is their website: http://iso.sysu.edu.cn/index.htm

• Like 1

Yes, I have phoned them, Ms. Ivy Du is the person I spoke with.  Of course, as expected - a vague response.

Actually my experience in dealing with problems in China has convinced me the only practical way of getting the desired response is to make the request face to face.  And even then, it's always the "luck of the draw." 

Thanks xuefang and roddy!

2014 Sept 13 - Update: I registered, as a foreigner, with the local police station - AFTER getting a place to live, paid fees, submitted visa to exit/entry office

(will retrieve it with Residence Permit on the 16th).... did all this just after September 1.   I am non degree student, so don't know if that made a difference. The biggest obstacle to registering was finding a place to live .... but THANKS to the positive encouragement and advice from dandmcd and, lots of luck, I found someone willing to rent to a foreigner.  

Thanks again for the encouragement and advice.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone, nice to meet you all! I'm going to SYSU this September to study non-degree chinese. I have done my research long time ago and I need to ask some questions as well as trying to answer some concerns.

Firstly a question to dandmcd:

On registration day if you get there early enough you can get a single room.  They are first come, first serve.  However, the university will run out of dorm space, so if you don't show up to register on time, you will either share a room ,or have to look for a place to live off campus if you want your own bedroom.

I've heard rumors from my friend who is studying in SCNU that it will be hard to secure a dorm room in zhongda and some students end up having to rent apartment outside the campus since SYSU has run out of dorm rooms. So it appears that it's true!! Actually I really don't want to live outside the campus. I've been doing that my whole life so I really want to experience life within a campus. So do you think showing up on the first day of registration 08.00 a.m in the morning will be enough for me to secure a dorm room?  :lol: Can we choose which dorm building we want to live in or is it up to the Uni? Many thanks!

A question to Xuefang:

As you know, the tuition fees are paid when you register and I have t heard anyone being able to pay before that. They arrange clerks from a bank to come to the campus on registration days and if you miss that, you can later go to the bank to pay your self.

Hi Sara, nice to meet you. I just want to say that your blog is very useful and informative for me. Thank you for sharing with us  :D Regarding paying the fees, what do you mean we can go to the bank later to pay? Does this mean we could register, get a room, get the books, etc before we make the payment via bank? Does the payment have to be on the same day of my registration day? I'm also still a bit vague about the temp residen permit. I'll only going to study for 1 semester (less than 6 months), do I also have to register to the local police station to get my temp resident permit? Some said, 6 months studying, it's not necesarry to get a permit. The others said I still need to go to the police station to register? Many thanks!

Responding to Hana:

I have send application on May, and still waiting for final descision and hope admission notice will come before September  :P

Hi Hana, nice to meet you! Have you received your JW202 form by now? Actually I have applied for the Spring semester class (Feb 2014) before but I can't make it since I just received the JW202 form from SYSU on 10 March (!!!!) even when I've submitted my application since November 2013. Of course it's already too late by then. So this time I asked them to send the letter to my friend in GZ, and then she will bring it back to my home country. Thank god she already got my letter so all is good now. From my inquiry with Ms. Ivy Du, she said that their policy is to send all approved letter on 30 June altogether. So I think now is only a matter of postal time until you received the letter. Goodluck and hope to see you this semester!!

• Like 1

So do you think showing up on the first day of registration 08.00 a.m in the morning will be enough for me to secure a dorm room?  :lol: Can we choose which dorm building we want to live in or is it up to the Uni? Many thanks!

Not a question for me, but I answer anyway :) I remember being at the office on registration day as early as 7 or 7.30am to line up to the registration. The problem is that the office opens at 8.30, and you might not be sure in front of wich door you should line up. Do you have any newer information on this dandmcd?

Have you noticed there are different dorm options? Dorm 1 and 2 are next to each other, but then there is the cheap dorm near the small north gate as well, they don't have single rooms though.

Hi Sara, nice to meet you. I just want to say that your blog is very useful and informative for me. Thank you for sharing with us  :D Regarding paying the fees, what do you mean we can go to the bank later to pay? Does this mean we could register, get a room, get the books, etc before we make the payment via bank? Does the payment have to be on the same day of my registration day? I'm also still a bit vague about the temp residen permit. I'll only going to study for 1 semester (less than 6 months), do I also have to register to the local police station to get my temp resident permit? Some said, 6 months studying, it's not necesarry to get a permit. The others said I still need to go to the police station to register? Many thanks!

Nice to meet you too!

The information on the website and on the admission notice says that if you don't pay during the registration days, when the bank clerks come to the office, you need to go to the bank your self. But I'm not sure if it's actually possible to decline paying the fee as a new student during the registration day. I know old students have arrived to the campus late or have paid their tuitions at the bank. Best to prepare to do it with the bank clerks at the student office.

Yes you need to always register at the police station (if you don't stay in hotels or hostels) no matter do you stay for a day or for longer. The official name of this document is Registration Form of Temporary Residence For Visitors. If you don't get your visa chenged to temporary residence permit (which you shouldn't need if you stay less than 6 months), you don't really need this form, but you are still required to register. Those that need temporary residence permit need this form when applying.

For all:

My semester starts on the third week of August already, so I'm going to be at the campus daily after that. Would love to have lunch or dinner with all of you!

• Like 3

Hi Hana, nice to meet you! Have you received your JW202 form by now? Actually I have applied for the Spring semester class (Feb 2014) before but I can't make it since I just received the JW202 form from SYSU on 10 March (!!!!) even when I've submitted my application since November 2013. Of course it's already too late by then. So this time I asked them to send the letter to my friend in GZ, and then she will bring it back to my home country. Thank god she already got my letter so all is good now. From my inquiry with Ms. Ivy Du, she said that their policy is to send all approved letter on 30 June altogether. So I think now is only a matter of postal time until you received the letter. Goodluck and hope to see you this semester!!

Hi imafan, nice to meet you too! I haven't received JW202 yet :P Thank you for your information. I just sent email to ask them about it and waiting for an answer from them. 

I need everybody's advice. What should I do if the school have sent mail with admission notice but I didn't receive (mail maybe have been lost or come too late). Can I enter China using tourist visa (L visa) and register myself during registration period then change it to student visa (X visa) ? Thanks for any advice.

Hi everyone! first of all sorry for my lenghty post but any kind of information will be really appreciated!  :D

so on the last of june my husband was accepted for a masters degree in Sun yat sen starting this fall

we are currently waiting for the JW202 form but I am a little anxious since we need to be in Guangzhou on august 20th and we haven't even started our visa process and the flight tickets are getting pretty expensive.

from experience, how much time do they take to send this form? we already emailed them and they said they are processing it but what if it doesn't arrive in time? it takes about a week for us to get our Chinese visa here in my country.

Also, they told my husband that he will be staying at one of the dorms, but do you know if i could stay with him? paying of course the rent for myself. I highly doubt this but I just wanted to make sure, either way I'm already checking apartment pricing around campus.

since we just found out we will be going to china, we don't know Cantonese or Mandarin. we both speak English, is it possible for us to "survive" the first months with this alone while we learn the basics?

I would love to meet new people once we are there, since I won't be studying I'll pretty much have all day free to learn Chinese and their culture  :lol: 

Laura

Have you noticed there are different dorm options? Dorm 1 and 2 are next to each other, but then there is the cheap dorm near the small north gate as well, they don't have single rooms though.

I know there are 3 dorms within the campus, that's why I want to know wether international student will be free to choose from the three dorms or do they have spesific dorm building for international students only?

Yes you need to always register at the police station (if you don't stay in hotels or hostels) no matter do you stay for a day or for longer. The official name of this document is Registration Form of Temporary Residence For Visitors. If you don't get your visa chenged to temporary residence permit (which you shouldn't need if you stay less than 6 months), you don't really need this form, but you are still required to register. Those that need temporary residence permit need this form when applying.

Aaahhh, I c now.. So this means whether I want to get the temporary residence for visitors or not, I still need to report to the police station? Got it :)

Responding to Hana:

I need everybody's advice. What should I do if the school have sent mail with admission notice but I didn't receive (mail maybe have been lost or come too late). Can I enter China using tourist visa (L visa) and register myself during registration period then change it to student visa (X visa) ? Thanks for any advice.

I don't know is this true, but in my case before, i think the letter got to me too late due to bad wether in January. Let's hope your letter will arrive on time. My friends have used that way before back in 2012 (converting from tourist visa to student visa) and as long as the regulation hasn't changed, i think it's doable. Maybe you could try to contact the China embassy/ travel agency in your country to ask about this. 

Responding to Laura:

we are currently waiting for the JW202 form but I am a little anxious since we need to be in Guangzhou on august 20th and we haven't even started our visa process and the flight tickets are getting pretty expensive.

from experience, how much time do they take to send this form? we already emailed them and they said they are processing it but what if it doesn't arrive in time? it takes about a week for us to get our Chinese visa here in my country.

Also, they told my husband that he will be staying at one of the dorms, but do you know if i could stay with him? paying of course the rent for myself. I highly doubt this but I just wanted to make sure, either way I'm already checking apartment pricing around campus.

since we just found out we will be going to china, we don't know Cantonese or Mandarin. we both speak English, is it possible for us to "survive" the first months with this alone while we learn the basics?

Hi Laura, nice to meet you! From my experience, I think you should contact the official to ask your letter status (when will it be sent to you) they could speak in english so no worries. Once it's been sent, they say it will take around 1 month to reach your home country. In my previous case, it took the letter about 2 months to arrive, but as I said before, i think this is a one off condition caused by bad wether in January. So I hope the letter will arrive on time for you.

Regarding surviving with English, i suggest you to install this app "Pleco" in your phone (Android or iOS). It can even recognize the kanji writing using the phone's camera then translate the meaning for u! I also suggest you to learn the basic pinyin pronounciation so you could at least make basic convo with the locals :) Just don't forget to always haggle when you're shopping in the market and just shake it off if they yell or cuss at you. :lol: Btw, these are what my friends have told me and not my first hand experience. So any other input from other users maybe more valid.

I would also love to meet and have a meal with everyone interested once I settle down there. See you soon, cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, 
I'll be starting my arduous journey to semi fluency this Autumn, how easy is it to get an apartment sorted during August?
I'm currently in Guangzhou now and my lease ends August 18th so wanting to avoid the friends couch option, 
I've no qualms with sharing but just curious as to whether I'll be needing to avoid estate agency sharks and a general price. I've seen online that a nice shared apartment should come into about 1800-2300, does that sound about right?

Also how early can we get the medical done? I'd rather get it over and done with ASAP before the rush, but will the visa office be awkward with it if it's a month or so old?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, 
Vince

• 3 weeks later...

@xuefang

I have read your post regarding the degree that you was doing.

So far I have 2 questions, surely in the future I will have more :-? :

1. Once you finish the degree there is some kind of certificate that allow you to teach Chinese abroad? For example in Europe?

2. How about the class schedule?

Thanks very much in advanced.

Zea

@Zea

Do you mean the bachelor degree I finished last year? If yes, then what you get is a BA in Chinese Language, no mention if you took the Business Chinese or Teaching Chinese route.

I've written a few posts on my blog about the courses and you can find them here: http://sarajaaksola.com/category/sun-yat-sen-university/

If you are talking about the MA I'm starting this semester then that's an MA in Teaching Chinese as a Second Language. For exaple in Finland there isn't any official document or certficiate at the moment that would prove you are an official teacher of Chinese language, nothing like they have for European languages for example. Perhaps other countries have their own laws and directives about the issue, but I haven't checked those.

They give us a schedule just before the semester starts, but I found an outline of the coures and I've discussed it here: http://sarajaaksola.com/masters-degree-in-teaching-chinese/

Hi @xuefang

Nice to hear you!

I was talking about the BA in Chinese language, and I would chose the Teaching Chinese route. Because I would like to improve my Chinese and I would like to get an official certificate that I can use to teach Chinese lessons. So my question is once I finish this Degree am I able to teach Chinese as an official teacher? Or do I need to do the Master in Teaching Chinese as a Second Language? What is the purpose of each one (BA and MA)?

In both cases. What requeriments I need to achieve in order to be accepted in the Bachelor or in the Master?

Thanks very much for your attention. 

Zea