Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2012 General Discussion

Brian US

A change this year is the addition of two separate topics for:

CSC Scholarship - 2012 American/EU Applicants

CSC Scholarship - 2012 Other Applicants

Look into these topics if you can't find your post, because I will be moving them to their respected topics. The type of post suited for general discussion:

Member that has read through the first post and answered many of their own questions- Is it true that the monthly stipend will be doubled next year?

Brian US- I was told by the foreign student office at Renmin University that the monthly stipend will be doubled next semester. We are still not sure if this will actually happen or even if it is for all CSC scholarship students in China. I'll update you as soon as I hear anything new!

A typical post that will be moved to the CSC Scholarship - 2012 Other Applicants topic:

Member that has read through the first post and answered many of their own questions- Anyone know the agency number for the Chinese embassy in New Zealand?

The CSC Scholarship threads are honestly a godsend, thank you. I will not be applying this year but presuming the scholarship continues in 2013/14, I will be applying for a scholarship for a masters degree then. The only scholarship they provide for masters applicants who received their degree in China (will graduate with a BA in 2013) is their "distinguished international student" scholarship for high-achieving graduates, and despite the website mentioning that 200 are available per year, it's apparently for the highest achievers, so looks like I'll be pushing my grades as high as possible for a chance.

I want to thank everyone that has been/is/will be a part of this project - including all the admins, members, lurkers - everyone, especially extrapages. Extrapages has helped out thousands over the years and helped spread awareness that the Chinese government will pay you to study in China. It's a huge collaborative effort, and I'm glad we're in this together. Good luck, boys and girls. See you in China!

And well done Brian US for carrying the flame!

Thanks to Brian US for getting the ball rolling again this year!

A note from myself as Admin-in-Chief of this site:

1) This is one topic out of literally tens of thousands we have on this site. If you have a question about where to buy shoes in Shanghai, or if you need to bring a hair-dryer, or how to find an apartment in Chengdu, we can help. Click on some of the links up in the header, use the search - explore. Don't just sit in here getting nervous about your application.

2) Similarly, there are questions that should notbe posted in the CSC topics, as they are not CSC-specific. Once you have your admission documents, the visa application process is identical to that for self-funded students - so if you have a question, find the visa sub-forum and post there. If you want to know about accommodation at Sichuan International Studies University, find or start a topic about accommodation at Sichuan International Studies University - not everyone at SISU is a CSC student.

Good luck all!

Is the expectation that the application form and medical form will remain unchanged this year, or that a new one will be released (presumably in the next month or so)?

I doubt there will be any updates.

• Like 1

• New Members

hello ...my name is Usman and i m currently studying medicine in china...but my question is about my brother...he want to come to china to study chinese for one year...so i need to ask one question...that which way is best...

to apply online on csc website

to apply directly in a university by going there[if it is possible]

or he should apply himself in the chinese embassy in pakistan?

he is currently taking the exams of BA[bachelor of arts]...if he gets scholarship when will his classes start?

and give me some advice if i m missing some question,because i dont know anything about this procedure.

to apply online on csc website

to apply directly in a university by going there[if it is possible]

or he should apply himself in the chinese embassy in pakistan?

I would normally recommend applying to the embassy directly, but from last year's discussion you can find a lot about the Pakistani process:

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/32171-csc-scholarship-results-2011/

Hi Usman. Dont confuse between online application and direct application. As i think that in India and in Pakistan the application process is same, i can suggest u to do this way

1. Contact Ministry and get to know when the application procedure starts. In India it starts in mid of Jan or 1st week of Feb.

2. you would have to apply manual directly to ministry and also online. the online application copy shall be attached with the supporting document.

3. Incase if you have an interview, candidates will be nominated.

4. the nominated candidates' application will be forwarded to embassy, the embassy sends the application to CSC in China.

5. CSC takes care of your admission. It applies for colleges.

6. your application gains an admission, then you are given scholarship.

Better talk to ministry in your country and also to embassy. get things clarified by them.

Wish you best on your efforts! :)

Regards,

Jamuna

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the info! I had very little information about this whole process initially so I did a google search. It directed me to one of those third party sites that help you out with application to Chinese univerisities. Anyhow, I applied through one of these sites to one of the schools they suggested. They just informed me that I have been accepted for a masters program in September and language course to start earlier in March.

I know that the applications for CSC starts in January and I'm planning on applying at the embassy then for the September semester. My concern is that the letter of acceptance the school is planning to send me will say that I have been accepted for language course in March. (I plan to pay for the March semester myself as there are no scholarships and the CSC application will be for the masters in September.) I'm concerned that attaching this letter might actually hurt my chances. Do you have any idea if it makes a difference?

Also, do you know if the recommendation letter they ask for needs to be from a professor? I was planning on having my employer write a recommendation.

(Btw, the registraion question took me a while to figure out because a google search brings back results in Chinese...)

Just a quick question - I'm a little confused about the "European" scholarship vs. the, well, normal scholarship. Does this mean that European countries are restricted to only applying for 1 year language courses, or can I apply for a bachelor/masters program through the normal scholarship? Thanks!

@Shasel

It's up in the air if your acceptance letter will help or hurt your chances. It is possible that they will give you a scholarship to the school you have enrolled in, so try to contact the school directly. Sometimes they will have scholarships set aside by the CSC that they can give out. Basically the same scholarship.

Also, do you know if the recommendation letter they ask for needs to be from a professor? I was planning on having my employer write a recommendation.

This question gets asked every year, and I say to just use your best judgement. I've never heard of a bad recommendation letter. If you can get a recommendation letter from your ambassador then go for it, if not then your neighbor will do.

@joshuawbb

Good question because the application seems to show there are only scholarships for language students. I know this came up last year, so I'll try to go through the topic to find out.

@Brian

Thanks. Its probably a good idea to clear things with the school. I’m an Ethiopian student, so I will be applying for the scholarship at the embassy in Ethio. I think they have about 50 scholarships per year, so fingers crossed that my applying to the school first won’t be an issue.

@joshuawbb,

Yes, I do think there is a difference between the scholarship offered to European students and the “normal” scholarship. As far as I know, the scholarship for students from other parts of the world is offered for masters and bachelor degree students as well. I read somewhere that you have to take a year or two of Chinese language course prior to starting your masters but some school websites say that this is not mandatory if its an English taught program.

So, will anyone contact my home university if I put this down as the recommender? I'm applying as an individual, but I'll technically be enrolled at the time that I submit the scholarship.

One of your recommendation letters is from your home university? I doubt anyone will contact them let alone read the letter.