Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2012 American/EU Applicants

Brian US

I think most people that apply for the EU scholarship want to do only language course for 1-2 year, for the dutch scholarship program as far as i know you can only apply for master or the final year of a bachelor program. This might mean that the program is less popular but then again international Asian business studies that require a year abroad are also rising in popularity. So it's hard to predict how popular the program really is. I'm trying to do as much extra activities to try to increase the chances in case of hard competition.

Based on past experience, does the CSC put up new information from year to year? Will they say what the new deadlines are, or are we left to guess? I was corresponding with a CSC representative, but she has since stopped replying to my emails.

Based on past experience you will see that the CSC does not update their information and is not organized. They may say what the new deadlines are, but these are subject to change on a whim. I think you will have better luck calling than with e-mails.

Okay, thanks, I'll give that a try. I have my application ready now (I'm just applying for the language scholarship) but I wonder when I should send it in. I'm afraid to send it now, thinking that it might be lost by the time the deadline rolls around.

• Like 1

hi all - I am planning to apply for 1 year chinese language study . I am a graduate who's been living and working in china for the past 3 years and I am originally from the uk - I recently emailed the chinese embassy in the uk about submitting my application to them direct in jan/feb (i will be back in the UK then) and I received the following somewhat confusing response ........

Dear Jody,

I am sorry to let you down. Since th total number of the scholarship is limited. All the candidates are the right now UK university students and need to be recommended by VCs. Usu. after the total number of the scholarship for UK was sent to us, a note of ltter will be sent to the VCs of about 12-15 Uk universities, which have very close cooperation with Chinese universities and we would like the VCs to recommend candidates onbehalf of the university.

......can anyone shed any light on this ?? - grateful for any assistance (is she saying I can't apply becuse I am not currently enrolled in a UK university??)

is it possible to submit an application to the embassy of your home country in China ? (in my case that would be UK)....the website states yes but from the info at the top of this forum it states that you can only apply through the chinese embassy in your home country

Never heard of anyone sending their application to the embassy of the applicant's home country in China. Unfortunately the UK hasn't been very generous for those that have already left university. Most of their scholarships are given out through the Confucius Institute, which is connected to a university in the UK. You might have better luck contacting and applying directly to a university in China.

I am trying to apply from U.S. (Tennessee). I am applying for the Masters of Chinese Law at Renmin Univeristy. I have already applied to Renmin and now need to apply for the scholarships. I have been told I should send my materials to the embassy in Washington D.C. I have tried to contact them numerous time and had no response.

I have two questions:

1.) What is the address I should send my materials to at the Washington D.C. Embassy?

2.) When should I send my materials to the Washington D.C. Embassy?

1.) What is the address I should send my materials to at the Washington D.C. Embassy?

2.) When should I send my materials to the Washington D.C. Embassy?

I'll message the address to you. I suggest sending out the application in January/February.

• Like 1

• New Members

Hey guys. First up, the information in these posts is great - thank you to everyone who has contributed and given their experiences.

I'm from the UK, 24 and have already got a degree. But I am retraining as a programmer - currently working for a web firm - and am quite keen to study computer science. I also love Asia and have for a while wanted to learn Mandarin.

So I wanted to know:

1. does anyone have experience of applying for undergraduate courses having already done an undergraduate / being older than 18-19?

2. do we know if UK people can apply outside of universities (as I've seen posts from previous years which suggest issues with this).

3. Does anyone know if 1 year is enough to meet the language requirements for a 3-year course - or should I apply for 2 years of language training (although that seems a bit long)?!

Thanks for any info provided,

Nic

I am looking into applying for the CSC scholarship from the US for Masters Study in Applied Linguistics. It would be greatly appreciated if you could please forward me the contacts information.

Ok.

@nicl

I suggest asking for two years of language courses if your Chinese isn't that great. You could also start your own topic if you could provided more details and other members could give you feedback.

I just sent in all my materials to Nanjing University because they had a Dec. 15th deadline. For backup schools I put down other Nanjing area universities (Nanjing Normal and Southeast Uni). Does anyone know if I am accepted for the scholarship at these other schools can I do a different major than what I put down? For nanda I want to do their Masters in China Studies only because that particular program interested me, but if I was going to Southeast or Nanjing Normal I'd rather do an MBA-type degree. Would it be possible?

Thanks ...

Does anyone know if I am accepted for the scholarship at these other schools can I do a different major than what I put down? For nanda I want to do their Masters in China Studies only because that particular program interested me, but if I was going to Southeast or Nanjing Normal I'd rather do an MBA-type degree. Would it be possible?

It would be very difficult. If you want to change your major you would need to contact the school as soon as possible, as it would be at their discretion.

I'm a US citizen and I'll be applying for the scholarship for 1-2 years of language study (not sure yet). I had two questions after reading Brian's general post:

1. For Americans do we need to submit to the consulate specific to our part of the US or is the any one fine? (for me it's the SF consulate)

2. Is it possible to apply for 1 year and then increase to two years down the road?

This is a great forum, I'm glad it turns up highly ranked in Google!

• Like 1

1. For Americans do we need to submit to the consulate specific to our part of the US or is the any one fine? (for me it's the SF consulate)

I suggest the DC embassy. I'll send you the contact info.

2. Is it possible to apply for 1 year and then increase to two years down the road?

You might have to apply again, so I suggest applying for 2 years and you can always give up after a year...

Hi Brian,

I am currently getting all of my documents together to apply for a 1-2 year Chinese Language program through the US embassy in DC. I have been reading all of the threads in the forum on the topic. I would very much appreciate the DC contact info to send in my application.

I have found the application to be somewhat restricting. I have a mediocre GPA from years ago but have since accumulated over 5 years in international development experience. I have always counted on the resume format to showcase my work experience over my educational background, so I hope the CSC takes this into account. It is interesting how little is actually known about the approval process :)

Thank you