Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2012 American/EU Applicants

Brian US

So I updated the first post about the EU scholarship POSSIBLY still being on. The deadline is close, so I left the contact information but try not to overload a German office with English e-mails about your situation in a foreign country.

• New Members

Yeah, it is getting weird. My uni's Chinese Department called the EU Mission in Brussels last week to clarify the situation about the scholarship, and the Chinese in Brussels stated that it was going to be announced in 2012 as well, they were just waiting for the China Scholarship Council's approval to issue the call for application. About the deadline, they said that due to the possibly late announcement, it might be the same as the CGS' deadline, so 30th April.

However, on Monday I sent an e-mail to Mr. Qiao Dan, he is the member of the China Scholarship Council, Beijing, to make it sure that the scholarship was still on. I got an answer, stating that unfortunately the EU Window was no longer be carried out to academic year 2012/2013. So I'm really curious who knows the truth about the EU Window.

Unfortunately, I don't know about any scholarship schemes with China beside this one, I suppose my country doesn't have any... I have been learning Chinese for three years now, I can manage my language knowledge up to HSK4, but it seems impossible for me to go higher efficiently without getting to China first. This scholarship is my only chance to spend a year there, so I am kind of disappointed that they didn't make any official statement about this scheme.

Hi, do you think it is possible to send more scholarship applications printed out from that website? It seems possible but I am not sure whether it might cause a problem after my embassy gets 3 different applications for different subjects under my name? Do you have any experience with that?

There is nothing like that in declaration:

1. All information and supporting documentation provided for this application are complete, true and correct.

2. During my stay in China,I shall abide by the laws and decrees of the Chinese government,and will not participate in any activities

in China which are deemed to be adverse to the social order of China and are inappropriate to the capacity as a student.

3. I will agree to the arrangements of my institution and specialty of study in China made by CSC,and will not apply for any changes

in these two fields without valid reasons.

4. During my study in China,I shall abide the rules and regulations of the host university,and concentrate on my studies and researches,

and follow the teaching programs arranged by the university.

5. I shall go through the procedures of the Annual Review of Chinese Govemment Scholarship Status as required.

6. I shall return to my home country as soon as l complete my scheduled program in China,and will not extend my stay without valid

reasons.

7. If I am judged by the Chinese laws and decrees and the rules and regulations of the university as having violated any of the above,

I will not lodge any appeal against the decision of CSC on suspending,or withdrawing my scholarship,or other penalties.

The thing is that I am applying directly to the university for Chinese Government Special Scholarship for postgraduates. University comitee will review it and then send to CSC for approval and after that they will send documents to succesful applicants. So I think that here should not be problem in that if I send the same application to some other universities for other programs and maybe one through my embassy. Do you have any experience with that?

• New Members

For anyone trying to apply from Sweden, here is some information I found out. As indicated by others, it seems that the EU scholarship is no longer offered.

I planned to apply for the "regular" scholarship, but was unsure where to send my application to. So I did some research. I called the contact of the CSC in Beijing, the one that is in charge of Europe (http://en.csc.edu.cn/Laihua/0bde30f8a3404e8290b04c9047eeda59.shtml). He explained to me that in Sweden, the scholarship is administered by the SI (Svenska Institutet). So I called them. And they told me that: a) all applications from Sweden should go through them, b) the deadline for application has already passed, and c) one of the application requirements is that you have already studied 60 ECTS at university level.

I have also called the Chinese embassy in Stockholm, but the education was on vacation... until the end of April... I think this means they don't want to have anything to do with this scholarship.

In addition, I called the Confucius Institute at Stockholm University, but they also appeared to not know anything about this scholarship.

Instead, I will apply to schools directly and try to get a scholarship this way.

• New Members

Hi everyone,

I'm a french student and I am appliying for a master's degree next year at Tsinghua university.

Besides, I am also applying for the China Scholarship and I am filling the online application, though I am facing a serious issue, what is the Agency No.

This question might have already been asked for several times, but I have made a lot of research ( during several days ! ), and I just can't figure out which number should I put !

Is it related to the chinese embassy in France ? Or the french embassy in China ? Or only to the university you are applying for ?

Actually I think I lost myself in the load of information I have searched. I need your help !

Thank you for your time.

Hi Everyone,

I'm applying for the CSC Postgraduate scholarship, and wow this has been a huge help. I've been scouring the net for any information I can find, but no help.

If anyone could tell me the contact information for the Washington D.C. Chinese Embassy contact info for the scholarship, I would really appreciate it!!

Currently, I live and work in Shanghai. I called the embassy in Shanghai multiple times about this scholarship, but they are clueless. I called the CSC themselves and asked about the procedure, but she said I need to apply through the U.S. On the embassy site, however, the rules state that I can apply through the embassy branch in China. Wha?

I figure that the best way to go is just to send my application back to the embassy in the states and hope for the best.

The deadline says April 30th, but in some cases I heard it may be earleir depending on the consulate..

For Washington D.C. is the deadline April 30th? I'm waiting on some letters of recommendation... I am also taking HSK on March 18th and would love to put level 6 proficiency on there if possible.

Also, the application form says "study plan," but it seems like most people have been writing a personal statement or self introduction. What works? Making a study plan for the time in China AND write a personal statement? Or just writing a personal statement that details who I am, what I want to study, how, and what I'm going to do with the postgraduate degree...?

Thanks guys!! You've been such a help!! I've wasted so many hours calling these people and looking through the net...

Don't fret too much American applicants. Although many people have suggested that the deadline is March 15th, over the years many applicants have been accepted after sending their application in towards the April 30th deadline.

You may ask "how can this be when the embassy said March 15th?" And I would say, "I don't know either."

Hey guys, I recently sent my application to the embassy in DC. It was received on March 14. It just showed up at my house because the receiver refused it. Does anyone know why this happened, or why they did that?

I also recently mailed mine in with a tracking number, and I know it got there on March 12th. I emailed the DC embassy on March 15th to confirm it was delivered to the correct office/if any materials were missing or should be amended or anything. I still haven't received an email response. Has anyone else been in contact with them? Are they usually slow to respond to emails?

I would also be interested to know if anyone hears back. I haven't tried contacting them but I'm hoping they will send some sort of confirmation that the process is under way. Maybe one of the previous recipeints can enlighten us?

Until now I hoped that the EU Window was still being on, but the embassy in my country also said that the scheme was up for 5 years and it has expired by now. Fortunately, I got another scholarship to China, but my groupmates planned to go to China with this scholarship, so it's quite bad for them. I find it unfair that there were no official statement on this topic by the Chinese, but that's life.

Europeans, if you really plan to go to China with a scholarship, try CGS and submit it directly to universities in smaller cities, they're often desperate to have 留学生, so you might have better chances.

Good luck!

Not sure about problems with the DC embassy, but any Chinese office would be notorious for not responding to e-mails or answering phone calls. I wouldn't be surprised if you put a signature delivery on it, guy at front desk doesn't want to sign it and his boss is at lunch, so it gets sent back.

Try different numbers and hope for the best. It also depends on who you talk to, you may get totally opposite responses from two different people in the same office.

Brian,

Thanks for this useful thread. I wanted to share what I've found from my looking around the Chinese Embassy's US Website on this matter. I found this which was updated around the start of the new year.

http://www.sino-education.org/CGSP.doc

This seems to suggest that the deadline is much later than March 15th, that it is actually on April 30th.

This seems to suggest that the deadline is much later than March 15th, that it is actually on April 30th.

Depends on who you talk to. Last year many applicants were told to send it by March 15th, but some got the scholarship by applying right before April 30th.